Question 60 mbps or 100 mbps

Coolharmony2

Jul 6, 2012
I hesitate between an internet package between 60 mbps and 100 mbps. Can you help me ? I am the only user in the house. would 100 be much better than 60? At the moment I have a desktop computer and a smart phone. I would like to add a tablet and a game console. It would be especially for telecommuting, playing games and surfing the internet. watch movie.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If your needs are really basic and you leave in a Low Density Residential Area take the $60,

If your are residing in single house in Medium Density area take the $65

If you live in a Condo or Apt. house take the $70.

Why?

Almost all the numbers stated in Internet and Networking are not real functional Numbers. They are the core number of the systems. E,g, 400 mb/s does not represent the environmental lose in the way to the customer and his systems.
Or/and the loses of speed according to the load of use in your "neck in the woods" during "Rush Time".

The Speed statement usually indicates the speed that the ISP pump in their centers,

As an example, I have 1giga in NYC. The only time my Internet reflect real 1giga agility is between 1am and 8 am.

I also have a second Location in a very rural area. The max speed provided there is 200 mb/sec.

The 200 mb/sec present constant and more agile service than the 1 giga in the city.

:cool:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
If your needs are really basic and you leave in a Low Density Residential Area take the $60,

If your are residing in single house in Medium Density area take the $65

If you live in a Condo or Apt. house take the $70.

Why?

Almost all the numbers stated in Internet and Networking are not real functional Numbers. They are the core number of the systems. E,g, 400 mb/s does not represent the environmental lose in the way to the customer and his systems.
Or/and the loses of speed according to the load of use in your "neck in the woods" during "Rush Time".

The Speed statement usually indicates the speed that the ISP pump in their centers,

As an example, I have 1giga in NYC. The only time my Internet reflect real 1giga agility is between 1am and 8 am.

I also have a second Location in a very rural area. The max speed provided there is 200 mb/sec.

The 200 mb/sec present constant and more agile service than the 1 giga in the city.

This is really interesting, is the 1g connection a HFC network or symmetrical fiber if I may ask?

If HFC I would assume Comcast in NYC, would be on Docsis 3.1 and the CMTS should have everything timing sync'd to alleviate this issue. Unless they are over utilizing their nodes with # of homes passed.

What is their max speed tier?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Timing sync'd? Practically everyone is over-utilizing their nodes. It's cost prohibitive to try to reach 100% customers, 100% bandwidth when the average is far, far lower than that.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
This is an interesting question many have had to ponder.

I think in your situation though, very easy to maximize cost would be to simply order the 2nd lowest tier at 60Mb, and see how that works.

If your most intensive bandwidth is potentially movie watching, possibly telecommuting, then you should be ok.

If you need more, then you call up and ask to be upgraded.

No one can tell you what is best, aside from more is best, as every node, location, etc is unique.

Just don't jump on the high-end plans unless you want bragging rights or make too much money.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
^ Timing sync'd? Practically everyone is over-utilizing their nodes. It's cost prohibitive to try to reach 100% customers, 100% bandwidth when the average is far, far lower than that.
I work in a rural system, that has 1g available, yes the CMTS time syncs all modems on its area network.

Our highest density node is probably 200 modems. most are less, but our CMTS services, 5 or 6 OTNs

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This is really interesting, is the 1g connection a HFC network or symmetrical fiber if I may ask?

If HFC I would assume Comcast in NYC, would be on Docsis 3.1 and the CMTS should have everything timing sync'd to alleviate this issue. Unless they are over utilizing their nodes with # of homes passed.

What is their max speed tier?

In is not bad or good, but many of us tend to be on the side of
'
L'état, c'est moi", (in simple term) what ever I have the whole world has.

It is 1g Fiber in the city of New York. However in an environment like NYC the Fiber system is not exactly the same as it is in many other areas.

My rural system is also Verizon fiber. Max offered is 200mb/sec. and no tv available.

It so because there is No big income in the Rural area, and most providers are reluctant to provide service at all. The State forced to provide Internet and compremised on 200 mb/sec and No TV. It cost the same price per month as it cost in the city for GB/sec. with TV.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I used to be on a 50/30 connection and I actually downgraded to 20/15 to save money. It's just a phone call and easy to switch so figured I'd try it and see if I notice a difference from every day usage. To be quite honest, I don't.

For anything that involves large uploads or downloads, it tends to be something that I leave and come back to later, so even if it takes longer it's not the end of the world. I don't really do any streaming either. I suppose for that, then I would see a difference.