6-part official Xbox documentary

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The first few chapters of this were pretty good, and I'd recommend watching those!

A few of the later episodes felt more like recycled XBox marketing material, though.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The first few chapters of this were pretty good, and I'd recommend watching those!

A few of the later episodes felt more like recycled XBox marketing material, though.

Hearing a couple of people in TV or not TV? episode say the public wasn't ready for XBox One in 2013 made me want to gag. That was a garbage console and the complete opposite of what the 360 was when it launched. Instead of being designed as a gaming console it was more an HTPC that could play games. They cut the gpu down so much vs PS4 to accommodate that crap Kinect when most of us were sick of the Wii and motion controls by 2013. They completely abandoned their core market to target casuals who don't buy a lot of games, I mean god that was idiotic. I hate how that episode focused on the marketing of that system as if it wasn't a turd from the beginning. Like things got fixed when they dropped the Kinect and sold it for the price of the PS4. Which they didn't because the PS4 still had a better gpu and superior library. Still blows me away that the company known for making high performance consoles targeting gamers like me that buy a ton of games its first two generations decided we weren't worth chasing any more that gen. At least the XBox Series X looks awesome though. Definitely want one of them once Hellblade 2 releases, or maybe as early as the Starfield release.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Honestly, the episode where Microsoft claimed to have basically invented online console gaming with XBox Live irked me the most.

I worked for an PC online gaming service that had their "innovative" features like voice chat back in 1996. Before I worked for them, that company also had a console gaming service for the Super Nintendo back in 1995.

So, yeah, that was a sad example of history being rewritten by the victors.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Honestly, the episode where Microsoft claimed to have basically invented online console gaming with XBox Live irked me the most.

I worked for an PC online gaming service that had their "innovative" features like voice chat back in 1996. Before I worked for them, that company also had a console gaming service for the Super Nintendo back in 1995.

What company was this?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

So, yeah, that was a sad example of history being rewritten by the victors.
They definitely made online gaming mainstream and streamlined the shit out of it for console gaming. I would definitely say they are the reason online gaming on consoles is what it is now.

And this is coming from someone who used to play Super Mario Kart on X-band back in the day. It simply wasn't something anyone could do like what they did with Xbox Live on the OG Xbox. Then the 360 just grew it even better making it more streamlined and integrated into games.

Hell Nintendo STILL isn't even where MS was with the 360, with the online they have on the Switch.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Yep. X-Band got bought by MPath Interactive (the mplayer.com guys), who then got bought by GameSpy.

They basically got put out of business by Microsoft years before XBox Live came out. Mplayer was supposed to be a $30 a year subscription service, but Microsoft released their own competing service called Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone and offered their service for free. Mplayer was forced to go free as well to compete. It costs a lot more to host game servers back then, and there was no way they could afford to host it on just the ad revenue.

Last edited: