6-29-2014 Salt Lake Cop kills dog in yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
6-29-2014

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...fter-dog-is-shot-during-search-for-lost-child

VIDEO: Man confronts police after dog is fatally shot during search for lost child

A Utah man recently recorded a confrontation with officers regarding a report that one of the officers shot his dog in his backyard.

Originally posted on Facebook , the owner said, "This is the video of my experience with SLCPD the day I was told my best friend was shot."

The footage is now making rounds on the internet.

According to one of the officers, the dog had threatened them as they searched the backyard for a missing child. An officer was then forced to shoot the dog.

"Why didn't the officer just back up and leave?"

The Salt Lake Tribune said the child who was reported missing that prompted the search was eventually found in his basement asleep.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Risk Aversion.

Who wants a scar on their hands or leg from some mangy dog. Plus things can get out of control with dog you gotta keep your eye on and suspect. Dogs are nothing but personal property by law. Best to shoot them first instead of suspect.

It's like firefighters today. They don't put out actual house fires but watch it burn or if there are adjacent houses, douse those down so fire doesn't spread.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Risk Aversion.

Who wants a scar on their hands or leg from some mangy dog. Plus things can get out of control with dog you gotta keep your eye on and suspect. Dogs are nothing but personal property by law. Best to shoot them first instead of suspect.

It's like firefighters today. They don't put out actual house fires but watch it burn or if there are adjacent houses, douse those down so fire doesn't spread.

Your disgusting disregard for life is duly noted.

Um no, that would be just a Tennessee problem.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again?lite

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I'm just stating facts. Did not give opinion whether I think it's right or wrong.

I'm not a big fan of risk aversion that's why they are well paid with good retirement. To serve and protect. Not act so detached from community.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
So the police, without a warrant or permission, trespass on someone's property, go into their backyard and shoot the dog.

The police should have knocked on the door, and "said we are looking for this child, can we search your backyard?" or perhaps asked the homeowner to do so, then the homeowner could have brought the dog indoors.

I think we need mandatory politeness training for police.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
By law, in Utah, police are allowed to trespass like this if the situation warrants it. i.e. chasing a criminal. The thing that makes this situation even more unique is the kid was under the bed in his home the whole time. The police should apologize, they should go through some training, and the local pound should give him another dog free of charge and move on.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I love the article. The man said "Why didn't the officer just back up and leave?". Are you serious? Yeah! In the completion of their duty, an aggressive dog is in their way. "Fuck that kid, I'm just going to back up and leave." ...

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guy for having lost his dog, but he is an idiot.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I love the article. The man said "Why didn't the officer just back up and leave?". Are you serious? Yeah! In the completion of their duty, an aggressive dog is in their way. "Fuck that kid, I'm just going to back up and leave." ...

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guy for having lost his dog, but he is an idiot.

the cop was not chasing a violent bank robbery suspect or trying to stop a crime.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
the cop was not chasing a violent bank robbery suspect or trying to stop a crime.

A child was missing. The cops did not know if a crime had or hadn't happened, and in the event of a child abduction, the quicker they act, the more likely they are of finding the child alive. The owner suggesting that the cop simply pick up and leave because of an aggressive dog is fucking stupid. Yeah, it sucks he lost his dog, but come on.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
A child was missing. The cops did not know if a crime had or hadn't happened, and in the event of a child abduction, the quicker they act, the more likely they are of finding the child alive. The owner suggesting that the cop simply pick up and leave because of an aggressive dog is fucking stupid. Yeah, it sucks he lost his dog, but come on.

this is clearly a 4th amendment violation, if you don't understand that I can not help you.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
What if the cops found the child in a yard and the child was aggressive to the cops? It seems like based on typical liberal reasoning, the cops should be allowed to shoot the child as well.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
So the police, without a warrant or permission, trespass on someone's property, go into their backyard and shoot the dog.

The police should have knocked on the door, and "said we are looking for this child, can we search your backyard?" or perhaps asked the homeowner to do so, then the homeowner could have brought the dog indoors.

I think we need mandatory politeness training for police.

The guy was at work so no one was home.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

okay, KICK THE DOG instead of shooting it in the face jesus christ.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
What if the cops found the child in a yard and the child was aggressive to the cops? It seems like based on typical liberal reasoning, the cops should be allowed to shoot the child as well.

What does this have to do with liberals? Can you not resist being a partisan hack for just a second?

This is an issue that crosses party lines.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Why not just use pepper spray or a taser on the dog. It just seems like police love shooting dogs and cats these days. They like using their guns, it makes them feel like a "big man".

Status
Not open for further replies.