6-20-2007: President Bush vetoes federal human embryonic stem cell measure

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BMW540I6speed
Fern said:
Obviously for me it is. That's one the "bouncing balls" I keep my eye on, no matter how the clowns in DC try to distract with "slight of hand" or spin.

In the early 60's taxpayers were "skeptical" about funding a trip to the moon. You know how that turned out. Hopefully you are keeping an open mind.

Yes, I support NASA funding, even if I don't care for their choice of missions (but that's another topic). But space exploration is not a commericial venture yet. Where it not for the government, it would not be done (yes, I realize there are few very very rich guys now playing around with it). I think it also serves several national interests if done right. Informational satelites (sp?) for example.

Also I take it that you or any loved-ones are not suffering from Parkinson's, Muscular Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, spinal cord injuries, and others.

Yes, like 99% of the rest of us, I too have (elderly) relatives with these health problems.

Not to mention, that he has just lost the US the lead in the next generation of medical treatments that may help millions of people in the future and helping the US ecomomy greatly.

We have a very strong pharm/med industry in this country, I believe it's incumbant upon them to spend on R & D. I think it far better that the federal govenment encourage them to invest in R & D with tax policies such as as allowing them accelerated write offs (tax deduction when expenditure is made, instead of dragging it for years) for their investment, or perhaps even a tax credit (which does actually exist at this time - it's a 10% R & D credit).

What is wrong with helping to fund "some" universities and private businesses that already have advanced some techniques in the feild.

{Again) Firstly, I believe it up to the companies to do this with their own money. There are plenty of programs where private companies fund research conducted in Universities. And secondly to the point I continually raise (and remains unaddressed), the university and company retain ownership of the technology. Both profit from it. If taxpayer funds are to be used in developing this technology, who will get the profit?

What is wrong with congress drafting legislation giving parents the option to donate unused embryos to research, like we already do with organ donation?, suggesting that the woman be permitted to donate - legally - her unused "tissues" to scientific research?

I was unaware that there is a law currently forbiding people from donating stem cells?

So I'll take the liberty of adding to both that it also captures a spirit of altruism if it can be couched in those terms.

Scientific progress changes things. It creates economic upheaval and has the potential to shake up social structures. That is why people who are insecure about their own status don't like it, and since the status-insecure are in general drawn toward authoritarian politics, it is unsurprising that stem cell research have become such incendiary political issues.

Authoritarian? Again, as far as know nothing is stopping private companies from researching this area.

Altruism? If we're gonna invest taxpayers dollars in high tech research I still contend that alt energy is better deal all the way around. What effect would a reduced or eliminated dependancy upon oil have on the Middle east situation? Or man made global warming? etc

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Fern said:
I don't disagree. Neither do I care how he frames it. But then again, he's never really cared much about run-away spending

Well Fern, this is where you lost me...

You absolutly "should" care how he frames it.

I'll try to be clearer. When I say "I don't care how they frame it", I mean that they call it whatever they want, but I'll give it my own "look" and decide what I think. Washington DC's #1 product is spin and BS, I don't care what they call it.

This particular bill is framed by Washingon as a moral issue - "Destruction of life v. empathy for suffering of people with various medcal problems".

Whereas, for me, this bill is framed as "a spending issue" - why should taxpayer money go for something the mega billion med/pharm industry is perfectly capable of doing? Also, for me, if the government is gonna fund the research, the licensing fee for it should be zero (at least for US companies, foreign companies? that's another issue) so the cost to consumers/patients will be reduced.

You could fairly say I also see this issue as a "why give public money to rich private companies"?

I'm gonna edit out material due to length)

Republicans in the state of Missouri has been thrown into turmoil over stem cells. A referendum similar to the one in California is on the ballot and opinion polls show two-thirds support for it.........................

If states wanna hold referendums to decide if they fund it with state dollars, I'm fine with that. If it comes up in my state (NC), my position will be the same as with the current fed issue

I thought Christians...

If people wanna donate THEIR money to big pharma/med companies, they can go right ahead.

I see all kinds of PACs etc raising millions upon millions of dollars, it has occurred to me on more than one occaision "why don't people who feel strongly about this donate or go raise money for it?"

We've got non-profits for cancer research, MS, housing, you name it. Is there one for ES research? If not, why not?

Is this only a good idea for OTHER people's money?

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Fern

-snip-
-snip-

The fact that he only allows the use of the currently generated lines--
-snip-
Think about it this way--He has outlawed the creation of new ES lines...
-snip-

I suspect this may be another issue, i.e., it's not in this bill. But IDK, and more importantly:

Is there some federal that regulates what ES cells PRIVATE companies can use?

Are people prohibited from donating ES cells if they wish? (Like abortions are OK, but not donating stem cells? That sounds like it would be unconstitutional to me.)

Fern

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Shivetya
more like his concern for the sanctity of the extreme side of his voting base

Yep, but thats what confuses me. Its not like he's running for office again, and with his abysmal approval ratings does he really think something like this is going to help him at all?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yep, but thats what confuses me. Its not like he's running for office again, and with his abysmal approval ratings does he really think something like this is going to help him at all?

It's to help his faction maintain influence within the party, attempt to determine the next repub nominee and others...

They have no principles, other than winning at any cost...

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Ok Fern, fair enough.

Your fiscaly conservitive ideals are shining through. You personal views on the subject and points you bring up are certainly rational ones.

This is good to see concerning a subject that has been "hijacked" for a specific votor base.

Simplistic, moralistic and conspiratorial explanations cast the illusion that it can be easily understood and navigated. But such explanations, particularly binary ones grounded in claimed moral certainty, are virtually always vague, and thus are virtually never valuable in understanding.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
JD50 said:

It's hard to pin down what truely motivates Bush and his enablers on this issue and many others.

The simplistic ones are purely political and his ardent religious beliefs.

Reducing complex and poorly understood phenomena to a simpler explanation is also the underlying human impulse for science.

The problem, of course, is that science operates with an attempt at rigor in its use of evidence but passionately held personal and political opinions are usually not willing to wade through evidence which may not neatly fit into a hypothesis about how the world works in the political realm.

I would certainly not exempt myself from that accusation from time to time.

However, what needs to be examined and refuted is the apparent worldview adopted by those currently in power. It is their choice to espouse a set of views that dovetail with those of Manichaeism.

If those who want to criticize them on that ground are to be refuted, they are completely free to deny the similarities. However, this puts the President and his enablers on the uncomfortable ground, for them, of arguing from evidence which they cannot readily manipulate.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Fern said:
I don't disagree. Neither do I care how he frames it. But then again, he's never really cared much about run-away spending

Well Fern, this is where you lost me...

You absolutly "should" care how he frames it.

I'll try to be clearer. When I say "I don't care how they frame it", I mean that they call it whatever they want, but I'll give it my own "look" and decide what I think. Washington DC's #1 product is spin and BS, I don't care what they call it.

This particular bill is framed by Washingon as a moral issue - "Destruction of life v. empathy for suffering of people with various medcal problems".

Whereas, for me, this bill is framed as "a spending issue" - why should taxpayer money go for something the mega billion med/pharm industry is perfectly capable of doing? Also, for me, if the government is gonna fund the research, the licensing fee for it should be zero (at least for US companies, foreign companies? that's another issue) so the cost to consumers/patients will be reduced.

You could fairly say I also see this issue as a "why give public money to rich private companies"?

I'm gonna edit out material due to length)

Republicans in the state of Missouri has been thrown into turmoil over stem cells. A referendum similar to the one in California is on the ballot and opinion polls show two-thirds support for it.........................

If states wanna hold referendums to decide if they fund it with state dollars, I'm fine with that. If it comes up in my state (NC), my position will be the same as with the current fed issue

I thought Christians...

If people wanna donate THEIR money to big pharma/med companies, they can go right ahead.

I see all kinds of PACs etc raising millions upon millions of dollars, it has occurred to me on more than one occaision "why don't people who feel strongly about this donate or go raise money for it?"

We've got non-profits for cancer research, MS, housing, you name it. Is there one for ES research? If not, why not?

Is this only a good idea for OTHER people's money?

Fern

Big Pharma/Med don't do ES cell research. (They don't represent the primary level in this system--only when research provides a feasible application (many, many years later), do the private Pharm/Med industries get involved). The majority of this research comes from academia. Aside from the the few private institutions that have far too much money to begin with (e.g. Harvard), Universities and the PIs (Private Investigator) that the Universities depend on to do this research absolutely require federal money.

Perhaps this is where a lot of the confusion comes from the general public? It seems that many aren't aware of how research proceeds, and what institution is responsible for each aspect of the process.

And this is the big problem we have in catching up with the rest of the world when we eventually do sweep away the mess that Bush has created. Once we roll back his vetos we will still have ~10+ years of R&D to get to the stage everyone else would be at. (Fortunately, the research community tends to be rather accomodating, in that information is generally desiminated freely and quickly--assuming that the work has already been published)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

It is so appropriate that men can't be saved since it is them that have been so against women in every way.

6-28-2007 Scientists make Stem cells created from unfertized eggs

NEW YORK - Scientists say they've created embryonic stem cells by stimulating unfertilized eggs, a significant step toward producing transplant tissue that's genetically matched to women.

The advance suggests that someday, a woman who wants a transplant to treat a condition like diabetes or a spinal cord injury could provide eggs to a lab, which in turn could create tissue that her body wouldn't reject.

The new work tries another tack: stimulating a woman's unfertilized egg to begin embryonic development. Scientists believe this development can't continue long enough to produce a baby, but as the new work shows, it can produce stem cells that are genetically matched to the egg donor.

Such an approach could not provide matched cells for men, of course.

Ronald M. Green, a Dartmouth College ethicist, said he believes the egg-stimulation process will prove an ethically acceptable way to create stem cells.

"People will see that these are activated eggs ... they do not of themselves ever develop into a human being," he said. "This is not anything biologically or morally like a human embryo, and it's a very good way of trying to provide human embryonic stem cells that does not involve the destruction of an embryo."

But the Rev. Tad Pacholczyk of the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia disagreed.

"My view is that if these grow as organized embryos for the first few days and then arrest, they may just be very short-lived human beings," he said.
========================================
Of course the religious nuts are still against it.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: zinfamous
10 years later, The US is lagging in 4th place in international research funding and development, 5th in quality healthcare...while certain sections are even lobbyin gto re-declare that the earth is flat and the universe revolves around our planet.
Are you trying to out-stupid the OP?

That's nearly impossible... since the OP has set such high standards... :D

The guy should be castrated before he has the chance to spawn.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Don't worry, no Keith Jr.'s running around. Maybe never.. we'll see.

Thanks for that article, Dave. I have no problem whatsoever with women forefeiting their unfertilized eggs for stem cell growth. I have a hunch though that there would be some women who would never do it, as that donated egg is one less chance to have a baby. But it's "no skin off my back". :D