5870 and sound through hdmi.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I just got the Onkyo ht-s3300 and I know that my ASUS 5870 is capable of outputting sound over HDMI. I don't really need help figuring that out because I can use google. I was just wondering if it was possible to keep my Auzentech xfi hooked up for my 5.1 headset so that when I do not want my home theater system on I can still use my headphones from my sound card? In other words will it output sound from both of them?

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
pretty sure sure you are limited to 1 audio device in Windows and you'll have to go through Windows and turn on/off whatever audio driver you currently want to use

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
If you are using windows 7, it is sometimes smart enough to switch the sound output if it detects one item is hooked up and not another. But basically, you have to go into the sound controls and make sure the ATI sound device is enabled and set as the default output.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
If you are using windows 7, it is sometimes smart enough to switch the sound output if it detects one item is hooked up and not another. But basically, you have to go into the sound controls and make sure the ATI sound device is enabled and set as the default output.

This.

I use two sound cards with similar motivations from the OP. Use sound properties to choose/change sound card you want to use, both will work fine. 3 would work fine.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Ok so I got the sound over HDMI working fine, and I can turn whichever audio device I'm not using off.

The problem is, when I use the HDMI for video it downscales on the monitor for some reason. If I use the DVI connector on my video card it's fine, and at 1920x1080 like it should be. I have no idea why it's downscaling. My ps3 outputs at 1080p just fine to the monitor, but my PC won't when it goes through the receiver.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Ok so I got the sound over HDMI working fine, and I can turn whichever audio device I'm not using off.

The problem is, when I use the HDMI for video it downscales on the monitor for some reason. If I use the DVI connector on my video card it's fine, and at 1920x1080 like it should be. I have no idea why it's downscaling. My ps3 outputs at 1080p just fine to the monitor, but my PC won't when it goes through the receiver.

For some reason ATI cards always do this over HDMI, you have to use overscan to get the proper size.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
For some reason ATI cards always do this over HDMI, you have to use overscan to get the proper size.

My 4550 does this as well. I just set the overscan to something like 3%, and it fills the screen perfectly.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
This is probably a dumb question, but where do I set the overscan at? Is it in CCC somewhere? This 5870 is my first ATi card, and I'm very new to the world of HDMI also.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
This is probably a dumb question, but where do I set the overscan at? Is it in CCC somewhere? This 5870 is my first ATi card, and I'm very new to the world of HDMI also.

In CCC, go to "Desktops and Displays". On the bottom where it shows an icon of the display, click the triangle. Select "configure" --> "scaling options".

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
just use dvi; my understanding is that the only advantage to HDMI is its ability to carry both audio and video signals, but that the video itself is functionally identical between the two.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Which one is better? I am finding one but I do not know which is better.
Thanks.

I'm not sure, but I think you're asking what overscan to set it at. You should see a bar that you drag to the left and right. Dragging it to the right will decrease the overscan (making the picture look bigger) and to the left will increase it.

You can just eyeball this. I kept decreasing the overscan until it completely filled the screen. I put it up one more notch, and I could tell that it stretched the picture off of the screen, so I backed it down again.

If that's not what you're asking, then please clarify.

just use dvi; my understanding is that the only advantage to HDMI is its ability to carry both audio and video signals, but that the video itself is functionally identical between the two.

He already mentioned that he wants to send audio over HDMI, so DVI won't work for him.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I'm not sure, but I think you're asking what overscan to set it at. You should see a bar that you drag to the left and right. Dragging it to the right will decrease the overscan (making the picture look bigger) and to the left will increase it.

You can just eyeball this. I kept decreasing the overscan until it completely filled the screen. I put it up one more notch, and I could tell that it stretched the picture off of the screen, so I backed it down again.

If that's not what you're asking, then please clarify.

He already mentioned that he wants to send audio over HDMI, so DVI won't work for him.

Actually I can still get audio over my HDMI cables and send video to my monitor from my DVI cable. I was just interested in reducing the amount of cables I'm using. No one likes clutter.

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
i went through the same rigamarole awhile ago and ended up deciding that i was making more trouble than saving, so pc to monitor is still best served by the dvi.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006

What I meant was that he should use HDMI strictly for audio and DVI for video.

Actually I can still get audio over my HDMI cables and send video to my monitor from my DVI cable. I was just interested in reducing the amount of cables I'm using. No one likes clutter.

ding ding ding. that's the easiest solution. no one likes clutter, true, but you'd have shorter signal paths with 2 cables, one going directly to the tv, the other going directly to the receiver. besides, unless i'm mistaken, wouldn't your setup be something like this:

using hdmi for audio and video:

1. radeon > hdmi > receiver (audio) > hdmi (presumably) > monitor

or

2. radeon > hdmi > monitor (video) > hdmi (or s/pdif) > receiver (audio)

^the former is definitely preferable to the latter.

alternatively, using 2 cables from the video card:

> hdmi > receiver (audio)
radeon
> dvi > monitor (video)

unless i'm missing something, you're using 2 cables either way, it's just displacing the clutter. having the audio go straight from the video card to the receiver and video straight from the card to the monitor is the best solution, minimizing all signal paths and ensuring that all of the a/v data is being transmitted over the highest quality connections.

Last edited:

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
unless i'm missing something, you're using 2 cables either way, it's just displacing the clutter. having the audio go straight from the video card to the receiver and video straight from the card to the monitor is the best solution, minimizing all signal paths and ensuring that all of the a/v data is being transmitted over the highest quality connections.
The one thing missing is that he has a PS3. I assume his PS3 is connected via HDMI to the receiver, so there will be an HDMI cable from the receiver to the monitor whether he uses DVI or HDMI from the video card.

I'm not saying your recommendation is a bad one, but it will add extra cable clutter (unless he listens to his PS3 through the TV speakers).

Last edited:

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
The one thing missing is that he has a PS3. I assume his PS3 is connected via HDMI to the receiver, so there will be an HDMI cable from the receiver to the monitor whether he uses DVI or HDMI from the video card.

I'm not saying your recommendation is a bad one, but it will add extra cable clutter (unless he listens to his PS3 through the TV speakers).

ah, didn't catch the part about the ps3. in that case, i agree with you, it would be ideal use a single hdmi cable from the video card to the receiver.