5850 temps

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I gave my 5850 a small overclock to 850/1200 and it's stable. But the instant I start a game the temperature jumps from 34 c or so, to over 40 c. That's not even after playing for a short while.

I'm guessing that the heat would be the same for any 5850, but am I right? I have an XFX model. How hot would someone estimate my card getting after a long (hours) play session? Does it eventually plateau, or keep rising?

My last question is, does a 5870 run cooler at stock than an overclocked 5850? Thanks for any ideas.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I gave my 5850 a small overclock to 850/1200 and it's stable. But the instant I start a game the temperature jumps from 34 c or so, to over 40 c. That's not even after playing for a short while.

I'm guessing that the heat would be the same for any 5850, but am I right? I have an XFX model. How hot would someone estimate my card getting after a long (hours) play session? Does it eventually plateau, or keep rising?

My last question is, does a 5870 run cooler at stock than an overclocked 5850? Thanks for any ideas.

40C is actually quite chilly for a GPU. Most stock cooling solutions let the card get to about 60-70C before they start to max out the fan.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Ok. I guess it was just weird to see the temp spike like that for just starting a game. It took a few seconds, it wasn't quite instant like I said in my first post. I'm also concerned about the temperature for longer play sessions. Thanks.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
My OC'd 5850 gets up to about 70c on default fan settings. Download MSI Afterburner and adjust the fan speed if you want. I have it throttle to about 32% and it keeps the GPU at 62-65C while playing Bad Company 2 Beta maxed out.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
the spike is because it's going from 2D clocks to 3D clocks the moment you start a game up and video cards can take very high temps

unless there's an issue with either heatsink contact or fan speed (not operational or forcing it to stay at too slow a speed), you will not reach ATI's max GPU temp (which is probably around 100C)

Last edited:

ShreddedWheat

Apr 3, 2006
You are fine. I once was playing at 20% fan (didn't realize it) and overclocked at 775/1125 and the fan automatically kicked in and was wondering like wtf? I alt-tabbed to CCC and it was at 86C I nearly had a heart attack though it was at that for a little while and then scaled back down to lower temp. At 35-40% fan it never hits above mid 50s. Listen for the fan if it goes higher than you have it at as a warning sign.

My 2 cents

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005
You can remove cooling fan and apply Arctic Silver 5 if it's easy for you and it doesn't VOID MFR warranty( Lifetime).

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
You are fine. I once was playing at 20% fan (didn't realize it) and overclocked at 775/1125 and the fan automatically kicked in and was wondering like wtf? I alt-tabbed to CCC and it was at 86C I nearly had a heart attack though it was at that for a little while and then scaled back down to lower temp. At 35-40% fan it never hits above mid 50s. Listen for the fan if it goes higher than you have it at as a warning sign.

My 2 cents

what's cool about MSI Afterburner is that I can keep an eye on my temps, GPU usage, and fan speed on my G15 LCD. I also use core temp and keep an eye on my cpu. I've found that if I can keep my GPU under 60, then my cpu isn't affected as much. I was playing left 4 dead last night with my card OC'd, CPU oc'd and card stayed at 35%, 58C and my cores never got over 62C. And I didn't have to alt+tab :) to see them, thanks to my G15.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Is putting an aftermarket cooler on the card a huge pain and is it risky? If it's not a huge hassle that what I'm going to do hopefully.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
There is no reason to get an aftermarket cooler unless you have a 2slot solution and need a 1 slot solution or you are watercooling.

Your temps are great my 5870 goes as high as 80c when gaming for hours.

The temperature spike is because it has two different clock speeds one for 2d and one for 3d to save power when you are not gaming.

bradyapba

Nov 29, 2004
there is no way your card is staying at 40C when gaming, with that OC. you need to DL a program that tracks your temp while gaming. Unless you have your fan set very high, like to run at 100% all the time(which then sounds like a jet engine), its more likely settling into the 60-70C range. I have a 5850 too, with the same OC just about.

I cant leave the fan at an acceptable level (40% or less) anything more, and its like a jets in the room, and get good temps. Use the fan profile in afterburners helps some, but not acceptable.

I just bought a twin turbo pro, and gonna put it on my 5850. Ill let you know how it goes :)

bradyapba

Nov 29, 2004
there is no way your card is staying at 40C when gaming, with that OC. you need to DL a program that tracks your temp while gaming. Unless you have your fan set very high, like to run at 100% all the time(which then sounds like a jet engine), its more likely settling into the 60-70C range. I have a 5850 too, with the same OC just about.

I cant leave the fan at an acceptable level (40% or less) anything more, and its like a jets in the room, and get good temps. Use the fan profile in afterburners helps some, but not acceptable.

I just bought a twin turbo pro, and gonna put it on my 5850. Ill let you know how it goes :)

Last edited: