Question 5700xt No Display after Restarting PC

hadjcs1999

Nov 9, 2020
I am aware of driver issues plaguing 5700xt cards for awhile now. I personally have the black screen issues for weeks until recently where I experienced the longest black screen by far and it made me restart my PC. Usually it will boot up normally but ever since the restart, I haven't gotten a display from my monitor. No POST whatsoever. I remember the last thing I did was install Radeon Software to change some Graphics Settings as it was suggested by the AMD website to temporarily resolve black screens. Note that I didn't do a factory reset because I didn't find the need to because the drivers I had at the time was fresh from a DDU and it was the latest.

What I've done so far are the following:
  1. Reseat GPU and RAM
  2. CMOS reset
  3. Swapped PSU
  4. Tested monitor (works via hdmi with my laptop)

Badly need help (lowkey in a state of panic hoping that my card is not bricked). What should I do? I'll expound on info if needed.

Specs:
R5 3600
5700XT Evoke
B450 Tomahawk Max
NZXT C650W 80+Gold
Gskill trident z 8gbx2
Windows 10

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Well, it appears you do not have a driver issue.

Unplug all devices except for the keyboard and monitor. Make sure the keyboard is plugged directly into the mainboard, and not passing through a usb hub device.

If you have not done so yet, unplug from the wall and try to start it. Modern systems never fully turn off until you disconnect the power from the wall. Attempting to start it typically discharges any remaining power. This also makes it safe to work on.

Having done that wait 5 min before plugging back in.

Turn the system back on and listen for beeps and let use know what it beeps.
also, check out page 38 in your mainboards manual, you have easy debug leds!

If you get a BEEEEP beep beep then your graphics card is likely the issue.

If it does not beep at all disconnect everything from the mainboard except for the:
graphics card
case wires
ram
cpu
power

disconnect any harddrives, wifi, extra pci cards, etc.
Try restarting and see if it beeps at you now.

If still no beeps, remove the graphics card and try starting with out it, it should give you a BEEEEP beep beep to let you know you it cannot find the graphics card you removed.

If still no beep code you have ruled your gfx card out from being the problem.

Remove the ram, try again, should get a continuous beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep. If no beep code now your issue is more complicated.

with the Ram and GRX card removed, pull the cpu. Try and start, sometimes mainboards refuse to function at all without the cpu, however frequently they will do an endless beep beep beep beep beep when the cpu is missing.

note: remember to remove the power from the wall and discharge the system by attempting to turn it on before adding or removing components. Usually it does not matter regardless, but doing so is safer and does a complete reset.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Other things to know, if the three lights on the keyboard (num lock, caps, scroll lock) turn on and stay on but nothing else happens, that is usually an indication of mainboard failure. (although, not always, can also be KB, cpu, or ram failure)

If the keyboard lights do not turn on, no lights at all turn on and no fans spin, could be power supply.

Do you possess a multimeter?

-----------
Let us know how it goes!

note: the above instructions assume you have properly connected the mainboard speaker and other wires to your case. If your not sure, consult page 32 of your mainboards manual about block JPF2.

also, check out page 97 in your mainboards manual. Some good advice there.
also, check out page 38 in your mainboards manual, you have easy debug leds!

(if you do conclude you have a hardware failure, and my gut is you have a bad memory stick, let us know. We might help you find a way to fix it real cheap. Even if you do not know how to solder. )

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
other notes:
if your case does not have an internal speaker, you can try plugging in your external speakers. Many mainboards will beep both on the internal speaker and the external audio.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The black screen issues on Navi cards have been fixed for a long time now.

No display on startup is not a driver issue, and as Leeea mentioned above, this sounds hardware related. Drivers only come into play after windows is fully started.

Does your monitor also support display port? And have you tried different HDMI ports on GPU?