56xx Xeon CPU excel comparison

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12BXQjKRzIewSexPtZEHzulXBSza2FfF8Wkc21KKYBQw/edit?usp=sharing

I made this to try to figure out what xeon CPU I want to purchase. I originally settled on the 5640, but the one I purchased had thermal paste on the die, looked burnt, and had a large scratch on the die. I swear, I could buy a pile of amorphous dog shit on ebay, and it would be defective.

Anyways, I mostly play Wildstar (MMO), some FPS games, and dabble in inventor (autodesk) from time to time. My current GPU is a 7950 boost, and my cpu is 930 that can't handle a small OC without stability issues. I am looking to go cheap, because I want to do a full build in 2017.

I plan to OC the xeon with a shitty water cooler, which is what has me hesitant. I am not sure of the OC potential of these CPUs. That information is extremely hard to find. If the 5645 can OC to about the same levels as the 5679, then there might not be any reason to spend the extra $.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Erm, you posted this in Video Cards and Graphics > AMD.
Last I looked, the Xeon isn't a GPU. ;)

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Erm, you posted this in Video Cards and Graphics > AMD.
Last I looked, the Xeon isn't a GPU. ;)

Yah. I am a dumbass. I was in a rush to get to the bank yesterday, and posted this quickly. Odd they moved it here, instead of the cpu forum.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
but the one I purchased had thermal paste on the die, looked burnt, and had a large scratch on the die.

Did you try it to see if it works? Anyway, the X5645's overclock will be limited in overclocking by it's low multiplier, not heat. The Xeons in general run cooler for the most part, and even a cheap watercooler will likely be adequate.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Did you try it to see if it works? Anyway, the X5645's overclock will be limited in overclocking by it's low multiplier, not heat. The Xeons in general run cooler for the most part, and even a cheap watercooler will likely be adequate.

I put it in, and it turned on, but it wouldn't post. I assumed it was bad, and got a refund. There was a brown spot on the die, and a 1/3 inch scratch as well. I got to keep the CPU, but I am fairly sure it's only servable purpose will be to hold down loose papers.

Is there a correlation between wattage and idle/load temp? Or is this again not an issue, as heat won't be the limiting factor?

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Heat becomes the limiting factor once you push Bclk/volts to upper boundaries, and the lower watt EP processors can be pushed pretty hard before that happens. The X5650 offers 22x and can run 200bclk (4.4Ghz) on air, and used to be most bang for the buck, but prices have gone up .. Sometimes you can snag an X5670 for the same $$ and would be my choice if you already have watercooling.. What board do you have?

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Heat becomes the limiting factor once you push Bclk/volts to upper boundaries, and the lower watt EP processors can be pushed pretty hard before that happens. The X5650 offers 22x and can run 200bclk (4.4Ghz) on air, and used to be most bang for the buck, but prices have gone up .. Sometimes you can snag an X5670 for the same $$ and would be my choice if you already have watercooling.. What board do you have?

Alienware Aurora Motherboard Part #Dell H869M 4VWF2

My sister bought me this thing like 5 years ago. I could have built a system far better for far less, but you can't turn away a gift. It's kind of a pain in the ass though.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Best of luck with the OC. The Gigabyte boards are very nice for X58. Also, moved to CPUs.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Alienware Aurora Motherboard Part #Dell H869M 4VWF2

My sister bought me this thing like 5 years ago. I could have built a system far better for far less, but you can't turn away a gift. It's kind of a pain in the ass though.

That's a great board for overclocking. OEM for Dell/Alienware by MSI. You can still get new or factory refurbs for $80 to $130.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
That's a great board for overclocking. OEM for Dell/Alienware by MSI. You can still get new or factory refurbs for $80 to $130.

I am interested in playing Wildstar, but my current fps seems to tank in towns. I am also suffering from stuttering from time to time. Anyways, my question is will the 6 core yield better performance over a similarly clocked 4 core, or can wildstar not properly utilize the additional threads? Wildstar is an MMO developed by Carbine.

From my understanding, most games primarily utilize 2-4 threads, and send a smidgen of information to be processed through the others. So, do you think I would get better performance with a 6 core, or a 4 core with a higher clock?

I am leaning towards the higher clock 4 core, which is also cheaper. Then again, with the implementation of DX12, would that make the 6 core a better CPU in the next 1-2 years? Then again, are there any DX12 titles even in the works atm, aside from that RTS that looks terrible?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
My son uses an E5640 for gaming, and I am currently using same CPU in my render rig. I had tried several hexcores but ended up off loading most of my transcodes to my CUDA cores of the GPU. My system feels snappier with the higher clocked E5640, so yes, single thread performance does make a difference, especially with your game in particular. It seems to only use 2 cores. You can always add a 6 core Xeon later..

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
My son uses an E5640 for gaming, and I am currently using same CPU in my render rig. I had tried several hexcores but ended up off loading most of my transcodes to my CUDA cores of the GPU. My system feels snappier with the higher clocked E5640, so yes, single thread performance does make a difference, especially with your game in particular. It seems to only use 2 cores. You can always add a 6 core Xeon later..

Sweet thx