56K modem question

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
I`m at my dad`s right now, and I set up his Internet account today.(56k) The modem is an OEM US Robotics 56K Winmodem. Is it normal that when, say I have to web pages opened and one is loading, if I scroll in the page that`s loaded, ìt`ll be slow and not fluent. It seams like when I`m downloading something, it slows down the whole system. I haven`t been on dial-up for a long time so I don`t really remember, but is this normal??? If not as this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking there's something wrong with the drivers, but it seems to work well, since I just finished downloading a 22 meg file.

obenton

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Winmodems take cpu cycles, which can add to general slowdown depending on cpu /memory.

Supergax

Aug 6, 2000
Well, winmodems may take some cpu cycles, but USR Winmodems are pretty much the topnotch winmodems, and unless your running a really old computer the few cycles it does take will not be noticeable. I was running a USR Winmodem in a Pentium 90 with no slowdowns or whatnot.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Believe or not but it's the Winmodem. Try using a hardware modem and you'll see the difference.:cool:

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
I think I fixed the problem by upgrading the drivers. BTW the 3COM site has to be the worst place to try to find something. Anyways, it made it better, and it wasn't because the winmodem was taking CPU cycles because the computer has a 850mhz T-Bird.

I'm back home now, and I'm hugging and kissing my cable modem...:)