566@850 on original BX6 with HL bios?

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Someone on another board said that this combo works fine. Anyone else have this combo running? This early bios voltage goes from 1.3 to 2.3.

Lasker

May 6, 2000
Is running that bios the only way to get that high of voltage? I have a newer bios and can only get 1.7.

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Lasker

There's a trick to raising your default voltage on a BH6 or BX6 and CII. Set to 1.7V and reflash with the /cc switch. Your new default voltage will be 1.7V and Max will be 1.95V. I can post the details if required.

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
The voltage trick does not work with the BM6, but it does with the BX6. I have both, but I would like to put the 566 in the BM6. I was surprised to discover I may not even have to upgrade my bios for the BM6, thus preserving the voltage range from 1.3 to 2.3 present in the HL bios. This is important information (if true) for those that need the higher voltages for a successful overclock to 850 or higher (without hardware mods) for the BM6.

Lasker

May 6, 2000
Thank you very much, guys, I'll try it when I get back from work. Btw, I should be working. hehe

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Sesopedalian
Keep in mind that I don't own a BM6 and haven't tried it but I have tried to learn from watching these threads carefully. Apparently you must reflash your Bios to obtain compatability with FC-PGA CII's. This is not voltage compatability. Without the flash your chip won't boot reliably. No one has yet found a simple reflash trick to raise the raise the voltage above 1.7V.
However, in the last day or two, someone posted that a new Bios had been released that allowed voltage up to 2.3? Anybody confirmed that?

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nick, I thought the same thing until I read in another forum that someone had successfully run a Celeron 566 in a BM6 board with the HL bios. I didn't think it was feasible either, and I wonder if anyone else can confirm they have done the same. Of coarse, the chip was not identified in the bios of this other machine as a Celeron, but as a P2 of some sort. I have yet to read anywhere on these forums that someone has tried a Celeron 566 in a BM6 with the HL bios and met with failure. It would be nice to keep that voltage range...