Question 5600G on A320m chipset?

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
Hello, i have a cheap MSI board with a 2400G. i was thinking of getting the 5600G and automatically thought i needed a newer gen MB. to my surprise i noticed MSI now lists 5600G as supported:

but im not sure i trust it? iv seen others like in this video claim its updated but still does not work.

why does this sometimes work and not work? shouldnt it be a simple yes or no?
thanks.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
why does this sometimes work and not work? shouldnt it be a simple yes or no?
thanks.

Newer BIOS versions often add support for new CPUs. So be sure to update to the latest BIOS before you install a new CPU. Then it should work as is.

If you need complete certainty, an A520 board is the way to go. You don't -need- a B550 or even X570 since Cezanne doesn't support PCIe 4.0.

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
yes ofcourse, im just seeing some reports saying this generation cpus are not always working when the updated bios is suppose to support it. so i was just wondering the reason why and if others have had issues with it.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
so i was just wondering the reason why and if others have had issues with it.

I think there was a short while AMD attempted to block Cezanne support on A320. It should be lifted now, but as always, check for official support from your mainboard manufacturer. Since MSI says it works, I see no reason to doubt it. You do need the absolutely latest beta BIOS from what their support page says.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
yes ofcourse, im just seeing some reports saying this generation cpus are not always working when the updated bios is suppose to support it. so i was just wondering the reason why and if others have had issues with it.
Support for Cezanne on your board wasn't released until 2 months after that video. As to why some would still have problems, even after updating to the latest beta bios? User error is the most common reason.

I updated a x370 to support all Zen 3 and had no issues with either a 5700G or 5600.

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
ok i just updated the bios and now suddenly the CPU fan is noisy, i could hardly hear the computer being turned on before! i ditched the old windows drivers and set the new ones to "power saving" or whatever its name is in english. no difference.
checked the bios, CPU smart fan is ON.
CPU is at 35c in bios. (but i guess that could have quickly dropped)
wtf? everytime you update a computer, tablet or phone there is a new consequence! :p

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
ok i just updated the bios and now suddenly the CPU fan is noisy, i could hardly hear the computer being turned on before! i ditched the old windows drivers and set the new ones to "power saving" or whatever its name is in english. no difference.
checked the bios, CPU smart fan is ON.
CPU is at 35c in bios. (but i guess that could have quickly dropped)
wtf? everytime you update a computer, tablet or phone there is a new consequence! :p

Reset BIOS defaults. It's possible your fan profile (either auto or one you set) was broken during BIOS update. If that doesn't work reset the CMOS.

Reactions: mikeymikec

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
ok i just updated the bios and now suddenly the CPU fan is noisy,

That's a common problem. Ryzen APU/CPU temperature ramp up and down very quickly, so you can get some severe sound issues. What you can do with a fan profile is limited, since it'll shoot up to ~80C in a flash due to PBO. Which often ramps the fan to maximum. Then as soon as the load is gone, it'll drop right back down to idle.

It's best a either run the CPU fan at a fixed RPM, or if possible, change the fan to a low noise one. Depending on case, you may have to do some experimentation to get the best results.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That's a common problem. Ryzen APU/CPU temperature ramp up and down very quickly, so you can get some severe sound issues.

I did a load of Ryzen builds (2200G / 2400G / 3200G / 3400G) however many years ago and I would have agreed with you then, but I've been upgrading some of the 2000-series to a newer generation and I think the required BIOS update (at least on Asus boards) has tweaked the fan management to make them run a heck of a lot quieter with much less revving. I've done a couple of builds lately with 4600G processors and getting similar results (despite the fact that 3400G processors came with a larger heatsink than the 4600G/5600G). In any case, I'd say they're quieter now than their Intel counterparts all-round.

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
did reset and unchecked/checked smart fan option. no difference.
werid how before i could run multiple video streams at once and bearly hear the computer. now it revs up and down just by looking at this still browser window.
cant find any fan settings in AMD Adrenalin. oh well guess there is nothing to do about it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You'll need to change fan settings in the BIOS/UEFI.
That's what I see with most AM4 boards too. The default fan curve will be nice and low then suddenly spike to something like 70% then 90% in a very narrow range of temps. Custom fan curve that ramps slowly with a max of 60% works well. I don't sit around running cinebench, I use them for daily driver duty and gaming, so have yet to need a higher max fan speed. Of course case cooling plays its roll. And all of mine are in ECO mode.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
ok. eventually i installed the 5600G and now the computer is in a eternal loop booting into bios.
at first boot it showed it detected the cpu. now it shows just a msi logo and straight into bios.
so i reset bios defaults twice, no difference.
also it shows 0 rpm on cpufan yet it is moving. does bios nowdays run completely independent of the cpu?

as i said previously i flashed bios to the latest version which said it supported 5600G. how can i know if the bios is at fault or the cpu?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
ok. eventually i installed the 5600G and now the computer is in a eternal loop booting into bios.
at first boot it showed it detected the cpu. now it shows just a msi logo and straight into bios.
so i reset bios defaults twice, no difference.
also it shows 0 rpm on cpufan yet it is moving. does bios nowdays run completely independent of the cpu?

as i said previously i flashed bios to the latest version which said it supported 5600G. how can i know if the bios is at fault or the cpu?

When a new CPU is detected most BIOS reset to default values. Including boot options.

Have you checked your boot device is selected? Should read "Windows Boot Manager" or similar as the first entry.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't see anything in the list. I don't remember where to look in the MSI UEFI to see the physical drive, system info? Anyways, start by setting the boot mode to UEFI + CSM. It may be your drive is formatted in the old MBR instead of GPT. If the new bios has secure boot on by default that would explain it not being recognized, and hence, not booting the OS.

Start there and we can move on if need be.

Reactions: kallisX

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
hello, i just now got advice from toms hardware forums to change from UEFI to CSM boot. now suddenly the computer works.
wierd, i ran the same bios for a few weeks before i got the cpu and everything worked, when i put the new cpu in it changed to UEFI for some reason and refused to boot.
but now it works and its also quite quick with boosted memory speeds. this is great, 4 generations of cpu support on a $70-80 motherboard lol!
thanks anyway!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
hello, i just now got advice from toms hardware forums to change from UEFI to CSM boot. now suddenly the computer works.
wierd, i ran the same bios for a few weeks before i got the cpu and everything worked, when i put the new cpu in it changed to UEFI for some reason and refused to boot.
but now it works and its also quite quick with boosted memory speeds. this is great, 4 generations of cpu support on a $70-80 motherboard lol!
thanks anyway!
Your old APU didn't support secure boot. That's why it was working. Stoked to read you are up and running. Enjoy. :beercheers:

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

kallisX

Sep 29, 2016
sorry about all the dumb questions, but why am i getting so low single threaded scores in cpu-z?

X4 950 on the left, Ryzen 2400G and 5600G on the right.

Attachments

• cpu4.JPG
    cpu4.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 23

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
sorry about all the dumb questions, but why am i getting so low single threaded scores in cpu-z?

X4 950 on the left, Ryzen 2400G and 5600G on the right.
Different versions of CPU-Z. Don't worry, your 5600G score is right in the range of what it should be.

Reactions: kallisX