51st state: Puerto Rico?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
They had some measures on their ballot calling for a change in their status.

Puerto Ricans were asked about their desires in two parts. First, by a 54% to 46% margin, voters rejected their current status as a U.S. commonwealth. In a separate question, 61% chose statehood as the alternative, compared with 33% for the semi-autonomous "sovereign free association" and 6% for outright independence.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/election-puerto-rico/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I think it would be a nice addition, and long overdue, if that's what they want.

Aug 14, 2001
I'm not sure if certain segments of the US population will be ready to accept this. Though I would support it.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
If they are going to be connected to the mainland culturally like that, screw the loyalty oaths/english and fascist stuff, PR's are good folks, but they need to learn to use freaking tortillas. Food you can hold = American, buncha weirdos with their giant mushy bananas that spill everywhere.

That Puerto Rican deep fried chicken in a good old American easy to carry on the run tortilla and you could have the world in your firm grip.

Melting pot = mmmmmmm

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm not sure if certain segments of the US population will be ready to accept this. Though I would support it.

Doesn't matter. If they want to become a state they draw up a state constitution and it goes to the US Congress for a vote.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
If they are going to be connected to the mainland culturally like that, screw the loyalty oaths/english and fascist stuff, PR's are good folks, but they need to learn to use freaking tortillas. Food you can hold = American, buncha weirdos with their giant mushy bananas that spill everywhere.

LOL you had me laughing with the bit about plantains.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Haha. That's very funny. Could you imagine the hysteria of the tea party if almost 4 million hispanics were to join the Union?
Puerto Ricans in the US vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Could you imagine the Republicans adding a solidly Democratic state?

Never going to happen.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'd like to think that our Congress isn't controlled by a majority of Bigots. Just because they're Republican doesn't mean they're against Puerto Rico.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
From what I've heard when this has been discussed before, they get more benefits of being a non-state state to get enough desire for the move.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
One of my DJs from San Jose met up with me in NYC earlier this year, his first time on the East Coast. (or outside of Cali) I introduced him to some folks I had met who were PR, they immediatly asked him what nationality he is. He said..American? They were like..no where you from? He said..Mexican I guess (His family is one of the founding members of south SJ that go back many generations into CA history) They said "Weird, you dont look like a beloved patriot." I broke up the fight that immediately ensued and took my buddy to see the Statue of Liberty for the first time in Liberty Park.

All he got to see was her backside ironically enough.

Don't count on all people being this monoculture "latino" -all are different.

Kid never met another person Latino but not Mexcian decent, pretty disappointing trip for him.

On the way home he said "I thought only the white haters were like that?" My response: Welcome to the East Coast. At least you weren't a Dominican.

Moral of the Story?
Don't count the right wingers out when it comes to any race. Everyone has their knuckledraggers making asses out of everyone.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If nothing else, this is historic, because previous the people of Puerto Rico voted against against Statehood.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know how a bunch of anecdotal stories about bigotry really relate to the big picture here. In order for them to not become a state you would need our politicians to vote no and then assuredly explain why. What's the bigger political suicide? Voting yes or explaining why you voted no?

I remember in the 90's how close they came to voting yes and now 20 years later they have voted yes. It's a qualified yes but it's still very interesting.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Would be awesome if you ask me.. PR is a great place enjoyed my many trips there in the Navy.
San Juan is fun as heck.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I think you may have incorrect info as far as letting them in the welfare state. Statehood would probably minimize such outflow as compared to now.

Aug 14, 2001
I'd like to think that our Congress isn't controlled by a majority of Bigots. Just because they're Republican doesn't mean they're against Puerto Rico.

It will take the word of the Obama-coalition to get this to work, in my opinion. We'll have to re-educate the Romney supporters and integrate them into American society first and then they will be more willing to accept a place like Puerto Rico.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
It will take the word of the Obama-coalition to get this to work, in my opinion. We'll have to re-educate the Romney supporters and integrate them into American society first and then they will be more willing to accept a place like Puerto Rico.

You seem to have a very bigoted view of almost half of the American public.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Given Puerto Rico's current status, if they want to be a state, I say let 'em. And if for some reason we don't want them to be a state, let them be independent. This whole "non-voting territory" thing seems a bit too imperial to me. I don't even like that DC Americans don't get congressional representation, but at least they get to vote for President.

Aug 14, 2001
You seem to have a very bigoted view of almost half of the American public.

No...I just see a lot of the Romney-base having separated itself from American culture and society and I think that's a big problem. I want them to come back and interact with women, asians, blacks, hispanics, native americans, gays, etc...and that includes Puerto Ricans. I'm not sure if these Romney people are ready to re-assimilate into American society yet, but I hope to be proven wrong.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
No...I just see a lot of the Romney-base having separated itself from American culture and society and I think that's a big problem. I want them to come back and interact with women, asians, blacks, hispanics, native americans, gays, etc...and that includes Puerto Ricans. I'm not sure if these Romney people are ready to re-assimilate into American society yet, but I hope to be proven wrong.

I voted for Romney, was born in Central America, married to a Vietnamese woman and am for Gay Marriage, Pro Choice, and an Atheist. I would also like for Puerto Rico to become a state.

Drop your preconceived notions and realize that not everyone who voted for Romney fits into this evil mold that you have created in your head.

So can I be re-assimilated please?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I voted for Romney, was born in Central America, married to a Vietnamese woman and am for Gay Marriage, Pro Choice, and an Atheist. I would also like for Puerto Rico to become a state.

Drop your preconceived notions and realize that not everyone who voted for Romney fits into this evil mold that you have created in your head.

:thumbsup: Yeah, this isn't as black and white as many people on AT make it...

Aug 14, 2001

It sounds like you didn't de-assimilate in the first place. I never claimed that all Romney supporters have de-assimilated.