512MB HD3850 $159 after $30 MIR @ Newegg

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Per the Apollo website, this may be an OC card as it's clocked at 700MHz vs the 668MHz stated by Newegg. Not sure of memory speed however.

Also, make sure to take note of the rebate and it's "special requirements" of writing Newegg.com and Newegg's part number on the outside of the envelope.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
seems pretty good, my 1900gt is starting to falter on newer games.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: raddreamer3kx
this 3850 looks much smaller then my visiontek 3850,maybe its just the picture.

It is shorter. Looks like they moved part of the power circuitry from the rear of the card toward the front (bracket end). This is based on looking at several of the other units on Newegg.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: aussiestilgar
Good deal, never heard of Apollo though.

They've been around. They just don't seem to market anything, but just price stuff cheap. They were around at least as far back as the Voodoo 3 days, with their "Bloody Monster" line of cards.

This is actually a tempting deal because it's so cheap. Anyone know how good they are with rebates?

Univac

Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: aussiestilgar
Good deal, never heard of Apollo though.

They've been around. They just don't seem to market anything, but just price stuff cheap. They were around at least as far back as the Voodoo 3 days, with their "Bloody Monster" line of cards.

This is actually a tempting deal because it's so cheap. Anyone know how good they are with rebates?

Hmm, The rebate requirements are VERY specific and it looks like you only get one try..

As "I also understand that resubmission of this Rebate Request will not be processed" is also on that form.

So is it all to make it easy to deny the rebate??

Or is it to be clear,open and easier on them so they can process the rebates better??

I am in the market for a mid-range card and thought I was going to have to settle for a 256 mb card....

Not sure what to do.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well, at $90 with free shipping you aren't buying a more expensive card, so if rebate is denied then you didn't end up paying extra - it just isn't a hot deal anymore.

I may pass.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zap
Well, at $90 with free shipping you aren't buying a more expensive card, so if rebate is denied then you didn't end up paying extra - it just isn't a hot deal anymore.

I may pass.

I didn't! :eek:

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Interesting how they change the cooler design..

.I don't like how it spits back all the hot air into the system and doesn't take advantage of the exhaust grill =(.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dds14u
Interesting how they change the cooler design..

.I don't like how it spits back all the hot air into the system and doesn't take advantage of the exhaust grill =(.

Uh, 99% of all HD 3850's spit the air back into the case. The HD 3870, on the other hand, is the one with the standard exhausting cooler.

I assume this design is to channel the air not only onto the core cooler, but to also blow air across the memory and power circuitry. I will try it as it, but if it's loud, I'll replace it with an ACCELERO S1 with a 120mm fan attached and possibly memory/vrm coolers.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: shingletingle
This card isn't as good as the 3870, not to mention the 8800GT or GTS (g92).

Umm... we know that. It's also around $100 cheaper (or 40% of the price, if you're into that kind of thing).

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: shingletingle
This card isn't as good as the 3870, not to mention the 8800GT or GTS (g92).

Umm... we know that. It's also around $100 cheaper (or 40% of the price, if you're into that kind of thing).

BINGO. And it's in stock too! :p

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I hope this deal sticks around for a couple months. I haven't got the cash to upgrade my video card yet :(

This is probably the best card for the money right now. Too bad an Nvidia card isn't this good and priced this well...ATI linux drivers are terrrrrrrrrrrrrible. I suppose the 8800GT is good, but its $50 more than this card (when it's priced properly). It's certainly better than the similarly priced 8600GT.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: quadomatic
I hope this deal sticks around for a couple months. I haven't got the cash to upgrade my video card yet :(

I would suspect that there will be better deals in a few months.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: quadomatic

I would suspect that there will be better deals in a few months.

Then I suppose that works out then.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
first off this is a good deal for a 3850/512.

im reluctant to bite because of the cooler, it seems like a cheap knockoff of the zalman. look around at the cooling products available. zalman is often emulated, and occasionally rebadged, however it is apparent that this one is a cheap knockoff. i wouldnt be surprised if the 3850 single slot cooler does a better job than this cooler. also leaving the memory bare with no thermal interface turns me off as well.

the shorter PCB is probably what HTPC'ers that have a SFF case and want to play games have been waiting for.

good deal if the rebate goes through, but ill pass since i already have a 3850/256.