500 Mhz Celeron Computer for $299

rexfalk

Feb 24, 2000
Toshiba Value Series, it is similar to the My Favorite PC deal here a few days ago but has more memory, and a larger HD.

Link

Rex

Nightmare

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
Sounds very good. Anyone know of any insight coupons or discounts?

--Nightmare

FYI: A few stats

» 500MHz Intel Celeron Processor
» 64MB SDRAM
» 6.0GB Hard Drive
» 56K V.90 Modem
» 40X CD-ROM Drive
» Microsoft Windows 98 SE

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
MasterOfEvil - If this system included a monitor this deal would spread like wild fire and within hours they'd probably run out of these sytems.

Unfortunately I don't think a monitor is included because of you click the link that rexfalk provided then you'll see no mention of monitor until you scroll way down. The monitors are listed underneath the Options and Accessories section.

Here's their estimated shipping costs:
UPS GROUND: $12.71
2 DAY STD AIR: $26.96
STD OVERNIGHT: $40.50
PRIORITY ONE: $51.03
UPS BLUE: $34.08
UPS 3DAY: $21.88
UPS RED: $60.23

Headache

Sep 3, 2000
Super Deal!
Might be better than the other 433 celery thread deal.
Just bought one. Still have 185 left.
Wonder if it's overclockable?
Thank you!

gopalkk

May 2, 2000
I ordered one.

They mentioned that only DOA (dead on arrival) returns
are accepted for this PC and rest of the problems should be dealt with Toshiba.

They charged me sales tax (Insight says
they will look for item outside my state CA and if they can
find one they will not charge sales tax)

Strangly, this PC is not listed any category.
rexfalk, how did u found it?

Any epinions on Insight or Toshiba 3100?

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
This looks like an OK system. The deal is not as good as AST 100 Century City that I scored from Circuit City for $219.
Watch out for:
150 Watt Power Supply: meaning you wont be able to run many peripherals from this supply
like another HD or CDRW is probably out of question.
Sound card is not included, but with demise of aureal you can get a nice 3d sound card for $30
Of course shipping and taxes are a pain...

NICKel

Golden Member
May 7, 2000
Not a bad deal but, compared to 149.99 (199 - 50 for florida residents) But it is a brand name. Is it a refurb?

This is interesting:

>>>>Important Information for shipments to CA,MA, and MD.
In an effort to minimize your sales tax liability, we will search for product in warehouses outside of your ship-to state. Therefore, stockstatus may be affected. Please check the stockstatus displayed at the time of checkout to ensure the absolute accuracy of your order.

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
I wonder why it doesn mention a videocard.
Its a nice deal though, given that Toshiba sells this system for $667.42 :)
Here is the link

namlook

Oct 26, 1999
Looks like the video is on the motherboard and uses the 64 mb of system ram to run. Not a good thing, but what do you expect for $299?

-->Graphics Controller - Integrated into Intel 810 chipset
-->Video Memory: SDRAM Intel Dynamic System Memory (Shares System Main Memory)

Audio also appears to be on the mb.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Epinions review - There are no reviews, but it's listed, has a retail of $649?

No reviews over at CNET.com, that link should list ALL Toshiba desktop PC's.

Can anyone find reviews of this PC?

fxsts

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
It seems like a good system for most people. $300 for a 500Mhz brand name computer. If I don't have any computer or looking for a sub system, I would go for it.

rexfalk

Feb 24, 2000
I saw this in an email ad from Insight.
It just looked like a good reseller or for someone wanting a cheap system.
A few years ago Insight was a great place for hard drives and such but I haven't done much business with them lately. I did like their shipping charges, $12.71 ain't bad.

gopalkk asked

<< Strangly, this PC is not listed any category. rexfalk, how did u found it? >>

Ekimzulad

Oct 9, 1999
This has been sold out for awhile now. Their website doesn't reflect this. I called and talked to them directly. Plus it was a close out special, they will not get anymore in. You can call now yourself to verify it, they have an 800 number.

gopalkk

May 2, 2000
Hi rexfalk

Gopal again with a question.

When did u get/see the email from Insight?

I called their 1-800 and she believe they have sold out long back
as Ekimzulad wrote, but she asked me to wait for 2 days JIC (just in case, if I am lucky).

She also told me that the offering was due to discontinuation of the model.

vinnyracer

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
someone at fatwallet board called and insight told him that it is out of stock and that their in-stock # on the website is wrong. All order will cancel.

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
onboard video and sound still a good deal hopefully i has at least two pci slots available to add sound and video.

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
guys, i want to know the deal with the power supply being too weak. what are the symptoms? i ask because my friends have this pc and they are swearing up and down it's a virus, but this is a compaq 5360 with a voodoo 3 2000, a cd-rw, and a extra hard drive added recently(why did i turn these guys on to napster :p ). they may have been the recent victims of a broadband attack, true enuff, but i keep telling them all they need to do is get a better supply to run all of it. what do you guys think?

rexfalk

Feb 24, 2000
I must have gotten the email Thursday (9/21) because that is when my invoice is dated. I wish I would have kept it but it was on a Hotmail account and I've already cleaned it up.

Rex

mrsjomar

Aug 30, 2000
I called Insight early this am (7:00 their time) and was told that they had these, so not to worry we would get them. Said they had 300!!!

Called back 30 minutes later and spoke with Les. He said it did not look good. When he pulled it up did not give him a yey, that they had them, or nay, that they didn't,that's bad.

He said this is how they attract new accounts, with bait like this.
I told him it may, but it also may cost them more customers than they attract! Also, could set some nut off and he may visit them!
Told him I had sold my other computer and it was gone, so I am not too happy.

Anyway, he asked me to hold while he talked to his boss. His boss says they have 188 of them and 176 orders had cleared to be shipped. Mine was pending for credit card auth, so he said as soon as office help came in would try to get it done for me.

Called back at 12:30 their time and have ups tracking number, so I feel somewhat better! Supposed to have by Friday or Saturday.
Hope this helps someone.

mrsjomar

Aug 30, 2000
Could someone please give me some advice on ram? I want to upgrade, but don't know where to start! Can I get a 128mb stick and add to what is there,for 192MB, or do I have to go with another 64mb for 128MB?
I know these are dumb questions to ya'll, but I don't have the expertise you guys do!
Also,could you please tell me where to get the best buy on this and EXACTLY what I need to ask for? I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks for all the great deals I have found on this board!

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
it depends on the memory you already have (does it run at 66, 100, or 133? although i'm guessing 100). it also depends on your motherboard(how many slots are available?). please post the specs of the computer in question, including the manufacturer.
good luck