5 of my friends hit by a car...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
The one who dove out of the way is like a younger brother to me- he is so screwed up now because he can't believe he wasn't able to save anyone.
Clearly an understandable, but unrealistc, expectation.

Conseling seems in order. I would guess your school or church could provide that

If you guys could pray for them
You got it

Fern

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Wasn't someone else on the boards killed in this same way? Like, exactly? A large group, crossing the road, and a drunk hitting them? acemcmac?

They will be in my prayers.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Yep, acemcmac. Deja vu.

"I've been informed through close friends of his that Richard Smith, AKA acemcmac on these forums, was struck and killed by a drunk driver at 2:30 AM Saturday morning while crossing the street with a friend of his."

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Eli
Oh man...

Unbelievable.

I would want to just fucking die. I can't even imagine. Something like that would just kill me, eat me up.... I'd never be the same again, thats for sure. :(

What were her injuries, do you know?

From what I have heard, she sustained massive head trauma. Additionally they couldn't get her breathing which suggest that both of her lungs may have collapsed. That is what I understand...

Any word on what exactly what happening to the driver that caused them to plow through 4 human beings ? Ugh, this makes me sick to think about
No word for them yet. The friend who was clipped was talking about it in the ER last night while he was waiting to be admitted, and he said how their lives would never be the same, but that it just come to him how this guys life was essentially over as well. That the driver would have to live with this accident forever...

Thanks for kind words Fern.

-Kevin

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I don't know how anyone that drives could live with causing a accident like this. I know I couldn't and don't think many people would but it doesn't just change their life it changes many lifes forever. Like a chain reaction. Though I do believe if I was hit by a car it would make me stronger as a person because something changes about you when stuff like this happens. I can't explain it but it does. Anyone who has been in this kind of accident knows exactly what I am talking about.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn... :(

I don't know why, but hearing of a girl die like that just makes it much worse.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Eli
Damn... :(

I don't know why, but hearing of a girl die like that just makes it much worse.

I don't think it matters if it was a girl or a guy that died like that it effects me the same way.

Aug 25, 2004
rose.gif

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Hey guys,

Dan actually went back into surgery because his skull was fractured in a couple places. The doctors took a piece out to relieve some pressure. He is out now and is fine as far as we know.

The others are just a mess. They are back trying to deal with the whole thing...

This is weird posting this here, but - these guys mean so much to me. We lived on the same hall last year and hung out all the time. I still haven't cried... Maybe it is just inadvertently being "manly" (<-not really), but I hope it hasn't come off to anyone like I don't care as much..

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Hey guys,

Dan actually went back into surgery because his skull was fractured in a couple places. The doctors took a piece out to relieve some pressure. He is out now and is fine as far as we know.

The others are just a mess. They are back trying to deal with the whole thing...

This is weird posting this here, but - these guys mean so much to me. We lived on the same hall last year and hung out all the time. I still haven't cried... Maybe it is just inadvertently being "manly" (<-not really), but I hope it hasn't come off to anyone like I don't care as much..

You don't have to cry to care. It's clear that you do care quite a bit.

My best to your friends and you...

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
glad to hear that Dan is going to be ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Hey guys,

Truth. I didn't cry when either of my grandparents died.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I hope the friends that survived recover quickly :(

Any word on the driver's story? Drunk? Where were your friends? Were they standing on the sidewalk or crossing a road or something?

edit: n/m answered via reading the thread :)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I don't know how accurate it is, but this article says:

"Secen said students at the scene said that a car ran a stoplight and that Sales, in a 1993 Mercury sedan, swerved to avoid that car and crashed into McNabb and the others. McNabb, Secen said, was the first one he hit. Sales stopped at the scene."

Secen is Christine's stepfather.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: allisolm

"Secen said students at the scene said that a car ran a stoplight and that Sales, in a 1993 Mercury sedan, swerved to avoid that car and crashed into McNabb and the others. McNabb, Secen said, was the first one he hit. Sales stopped at the scene."

Dunno where they got that story.

My friend who dodged the car said that the paramedics were performing CPR on the scene to no avail, but seeing as he was shaken up and not involved directly into that I am sure the Step-Father would have better knowledge there.

But the article is definitely wrong about a stop light. There are no stop lights anywhere remotely close to that intersection. Ill try to paint the picture:

The road, Washington St., runs perpendicular to Duck Pond Drive and goes into "The Cage" (<- A large student parking lot for on campus students and commuters). There are two stop signs, one for exiting the cage and one for a car attempting to leave Washington St. and either A.) Enter the cage, or B.) turn left or right onto Duck Pond drive. There are no stop signs on Duck Pond drive.

Now Washington St. has sidewalks on both sides, each with a respective crosswalk leading into the Cage by traveling across Duck Pond drive. Both crosswalks are at the top of a hill (Stupid stupid design). Despite this, the speed limit is 25 mph the entire way along Duck Pond drive. It is a rough corner, but you can clearly see... especially at 6:30pm.

My friends were crossing from Washington St. side to go into the cage. The one who dodged was towards the front and on the far side of where the car was approaching. He yelled, "Hey", then, "Look out" before diving out of the way. He saw everyone else get hit as he landed. He told me the car then a few seconds later slammed on its brakes and the driver got out.

The saddest part of the story on his account for whatever reason is what he did next. He was just in a daze as he watched all his friends lying there, that he just walked around and picked up shoes. The paramedics were on the scene in <1 minute though they said (Perhaps the guard for the entrance to the cage saw it an called).

-Kevin

msw1382

Feb 25, 2008
I usually lurk around these forums but I had to register when I read this.

I feel so deeply sorry for you and your friends loss. This is a tragedy and I hope all of you the best. I will keep your friends in my thoughts and please let them know that there are many that are pulling for them to recover both physically and mentally, it may just boost their spirits to know people care.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: msw1382
I usually lurk around these forums but I had to register when I read this.

I feel so deeply sorry for you and your friends loss. This is a tragedy and I hope all of you the best. I will keep your friends in my thoughts and please let them know that there are many that are pulling for them to recover both physically and mentally, it may just boost their spirits to know people care.

Thank you. I am going to spend the day with everyone (Since we all next to each other), hopefully we can all have a time of healing and do somethings to take our mind off of everything.

-Kevin

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Hey guys,

Truth. I didn't cry when either of my grandparents died.

It can also take time. I didn't feel much when my mom died. I didn't cry or feel anything until about a month afterwards.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Wow. This sounds like a terribly tragic mess for everyone. :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
It can also take time. I didn't feel much when my mom died. I didn't cry or feel anything until about a month afterwards.

I didn't cry when my dad died, but oddly enough, a sad scene in a movie can make me well up. Quite awkward.

I've always kind of wished that I could change the past though. Not many things more than innocent people dying for no reason that make me want to =\.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7

Wow. This sounds like a terribly tragic mess for everyone. :(

I could see that happening to anyone. Your first instinct would be to swerve out of the car's way. I wonder if he'll be charged with anything for the accident (not including the lack of registration and stuff)

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: Leros

I didn't cry when my dad died, but oddly enough, a sad scene in a movie can make me well up. Quite awkward.

I've always kind of wished that I could change the past though. Not many things more than innocent people dying for no reason that make me want to =\.

Well I guess it is a relief then since you guys don't see it as weird. And I can continue using it as I have in the past, comforting those who do cry and trying to take some of their burdens away.

-Kevin