5 of my friends hit by a car...

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
So tonight, I was relaxing from a week of engineering tests, RA Duties, Small Group Planning/Leading, and Large Group coordinating when I got a phone call around 12:30AM (The incident had happened about 6:30).

4 of my friends had been hit by a car, 1 dove out of the way in time...

2 got clipped, 1 guy had his leg broken in multiple points, and the last one (Friend with the broken leg's girlfriend) was killed. She died on the scene as they were scrambling in various states of consciousness to try and save her...

The one who dove out of the way is like a younger brother to me- he is so screwed up now because he can't believe he wasn't able to save anyone.

The person didn't even slow down until about 40 feet after-- didn't even notice hitting them until then.

Pretty much one of the worst feelings ever... If you guys could pray for them, or if that isn't your thing, just keep them in your thoughts- that would be real cool.

Thanks Guys,
-Kevin

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
I can only imagine what you and your friends must be going through right now. I'm sure the thoughts and prayers of the AT community are with you guys at this time. Was the driver drinking or on the cell phone?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Prayings not really my thing, but I'm going to say a prayer for your friends anyway.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I haven't heard about the driver outside of the fact that he got out about 40ft down the road and someone vaguely remembers him talking to the police.

My closest friend (The one who dove out of the way), it just a mess. He broke up with his girlfriend recently, then got thrown on academic probation, then he accidentally signed up for a course without a prerequisite and they gave him an honor code violation, and then he got caught downloading a game recently. He has been really leaning on everyone of late, and he has been turning to God a lot more recently. Then this happens and he is absolutely beating himself up over not being able to help anyone-- he said he would have rather turned around and pushed them all away and taken the brunt of it... I had no idea what to say.

The 2 that got clipped are ok, very shaken up as their friends are pretty messed up. But physically, nothing major, just some scrapes and sprained bones.

The one who broke his leg is doing better than you would think. He has a metal rod inside his entire left leg (The bone) and, even though he was acting strong and trying hard to stay awake, he can't get over the fact that his girlfriend is gone. He just kept saying, "I would do anything to have her back"

I'm NEVER cry (Not proud of it or anything) but tonight all I could do was shake my head and hold everything back...

Outside of not being able to help my friends, the worst part for me is putting myself in their situation. I wouldn't be that strong I don't think. Ugh I don't know what to do about the whole situation outside of pray... the worst feeling in my life is when I can't help someone that I care for-- this is one of those times...

-Kevin

Edit:
Prayings not really my thing, but I'm going to say a prayer for your friends anyway.

Thanks, you have no idea how much it means to myself and everyone else...

Oct 4, 2004
Holy crap man, that's really messed up. Guy being there, watching his girlfriend die. :(
rose.gif

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
That's so terrible.. I can't even begin to imagine :(

rose.gif
Right now my prayers are with your friends and their families

May the driver find God through all this.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Holy crap man, that's really messed up. Guy being there, watching his girlfriend die. :(
rose.gif
I can't even imagine such a thing. You & your friends are in my thoughts Gamingphreek.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things get better. Was the driver drunk? Did they get that SOB?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
how sad... totally heartbreaking. :(

what was the driver on or was it some old fart that shouldn't have been driving :|

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Wow, that really sucks Kevin. Sorry to hear about your friends. Hope the ones that got hurt recover quickly. How sad for the girls friends and family.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
So this other driver... has s/he been booked on DWI/DUI yet? How the hell does someone bounce off a bunch of cars and "not realize it"?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek

I'm NEVER cry (Not proud of it or anything) but tonight all I could do was shake my head and hold everything back...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends...but you really shouldn't suppress those feelings. It is far better to release them than to hold back. Everyone cries, it's only natural.

rose.gif
:(

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
then he accidentally signed up for a course without a prerequisite and they gave him an honor code violation
WTF?!?!?

But to the point, sorry to hear about this. It is such a damn shame to hear something like this happen. Was this on campus?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Wow, that is some messed up news, I can only imagine what that must have been like,
rose.gif
for the poor girl who lost her life...

Asshole fucking irresponsible driver.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
To clarify, I more inadvertently hold back-- I don't do it quite on purpose.

I really just don't know how to talk to them and tell them there is nothing they could do to save her. The one who dove out of the way is just beating himself up endlessly over it-- he would have rather taken the brunt of the hit then not get injured at all... Whether he knows it or not, even though he looks up to me for virtually everything, I look up to him here...

I'll post a newspaper article when I can find one.

-Kevin

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Sorry to hear this.

D00d, you claim to be in college but your english is fail. Epic fail.

Your insensitive post has no business in this thread. This is not the time nor place to be critical of anyone. Since you seem to thrive on this kind of thing, as proven by your track record, kindly enjoy 1 week away from the forums.

AnandTech Senior Moderator
compuwiz1

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry Dude...I didn't see them. I was too busy taking a pull off the bottle of whiskey I had...

Seems like excuses like that are pretty common in stupid accidents like this.

Since we don't know yet if the driver was drunk or not, I'll hold off on my anti-drunk driving rant...for now.

I hope the surviving friends all pull through ok. I'm not a big fan of counseling, but it does help for some.