5 killed in Dallas-area shootings; suspect arrested

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I thought this sort of thing could never happen in Texas because everyone is armed all the time. :colbert: I guess they need more guns in Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/29/dallas-texas-slayings/3294097/

Police arrested a 36-year-old man early Tuesday in a wooded area east of Dallas after he allegedly went on a shooting spree, killing five people in four different locations the small east Texas town of Terrell.

"We're all in a state of shock," said Terrell Police Chief Jody Lay, WFAA-TV reports. "This is going to have a big impact on us."

Lay, who confirmed the arrest of Charles Everett Brownlow Jr., did not specify charges against the suspect or speculate on a motive in the killings, the website InForney.com reports.

The victims have not been officially identified, The Dallas Morning News reports.

According to public reports, Brownlow has an extensive criminal history, including previous charges of burglary, unlawful possession of a firearm and marijuana, and family violence.

The shootings began around 5 p.m. Monday with the killing of a woman with a single shot to the head in a residential area of the town of 16,000 people. Police then discovered the body of another female two blocks away at the scene of a house fire.

Police put out an alert for Brownlow after determining that his white Ford Focus was missing from the residence.

More gunfire was reported around 10 p.m. in yet another residential area by a suspect fitting Brownlow's description, Forney.com reports, although no one was injured at the scene.

A half-hour later, at the scene of one more shooting, police found a man and a woman dead and a 3-year-old child unharmed.

The final killing occurred around 10:37 p.m. after an off-duty police officer spotted the suspect and his car at a convenience store. Brownlow allegedly shot and killed one man at the scene before fleeing in his vehicle, leading a police chase past the first two crime scenes.

After eventually fleeing on foot, Brownlow was captured three hours later in a creek near railroad tracks, Forney.com reports.

Where were all the law abiding gun owners who could have stopped those crimes? :confused:

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
You can't post that on Anandtech. The suspect is black and you can't post negative stories about blacks or you'll get warned by the mods.

esquared said:
You guys have short memories around here. Every time, someone posts one of these threads about "blacks behaving badly" it turns into a shitstorm of a thread with myself and other mods end up passing around vacations and infractions, abound.

We have told you so many times that I am sounding like a broken record. Anand will not tolerate racism on this forum.

These threads cannot exist because so many of you are incapable of discussing this sort of news without bringing up race and all the nasty racial comments that follow. Its that simple.

Now because of the way that the history repeats itself over and over here, we have decided to nip all this in the bud and not allow these types of threads at all.

If you have an issue with moderation please post in Moderator Discussions. Posting it here is mod baiting/callout.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
They were all in Chicago, celebrating how gun control restrictions have eliminated gun violence there :D

But I thought this sort of thing couldn't happen in a "polite" armed society. :p

Isn't Texas a mecca of gun freedom where everyone is armed and nobody commits crimes because you can legally shoot someone just for looking at your wife?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
According to public reports, Brownlow has an extensive criminal history, including previous charges of burglary, unlawful possession of a firearm and marijuana, and family violence.

sounds like a stand up fellow.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
But I thought this sort of thing couldn't happen in a "polite" armed society. :p

Just like I thought gun control would reduce gun violence and make everything safe :p

You can't prevent all crime, no matter what you do. This criminal goes on a rampage and kills people. Can happen anywhere, no matter what the laws.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

sounds like a stand up fellow.

Yep, the kind of guy obummer would have had as a son apparently :D

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I thought this sort of thing could never happen in Texas because everyone is armed all the time. :colbert: I guess they need more guns in Texas.

They should move to Chicago, no one ever gets shot there. Those gun laws keep everyone safe.

Apr 27, 2012
Wow, Using the deaths of these innocent people to attack guns is just despicable. When will these liberal gun control idiots understand they are wrong?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Wow, Using the deaths of these innocent people to attack guns is just despicable. When will these liberal gun control idiots understand they are wrong?

Because the NRA never uses gun crimes and deaths as a reason for more guns right? :whiste: Hypocrite...

And I'm not attacking guns. I'm wondering why there aren't more guns in Texas because clearly there aren't enough people armed there if this could happen.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And I'm not attacking guns. I'm wondering why there aren't more guns in Texas because clearly there aren't enough people armed there if this could happen.

How many people in Texas carry? As a percentage of population it's probably quite small. Moreover, how many are trained and able to respond properly in a timely manner if this was occurring in proximity to them?

Likely very few.

Being legally able to carry doesn't mean it is done, or even done right.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How many people in Texas carry? As a percentage of population it's probably quite small. Moreover, how many are trained and able to respond properly in a timely manner if this was occurring in proximity to them?

Likely very few.

Being legally able to carry doesn't mean it is done, or even done right.

I recall the argument being the opposite, legal carrying gun holders are more responsible and better trained than most LEO's. Now you are telling us that that might not be true?

Sounds like you pro gun rights people need to get your story straight.

I like your thinly vailed attempt at implying more gun carrying citizens are need though;)

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Just like I thought gun control would reduce gun violence and make everything safe :p

You can't prevent all crime, no matter what you do. This criminal goes on a rampage and kills people. Can happen anywhere, no matter what the laws.

Uh, it's worked in NYC.