5 GHz channel slow to connect. 2.4 GHz fast.

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
I have an Acer Spin3 laptop running Win10. After Win10 boots up, sometimes the 5 GHz channel connects right away, but sometimes it is slow to connect so Firefox does not see an internet connection. When this happens, I click the internet access icon in the notifications area and it always shows my 2.4 GHz channel but not the 5 GHz channel. After I wait for about 20 seconds, the 5 GHz channel appears and it auto connects fine.

I could use the 2.4 GHz channel but there are many neighbors also on 2.4 GHz so I'm using the 5 GHz channel which is wide open.

My hardware setup is: (where === is ethernet cable)

(Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 EX7000-100NAS WiFi range extender) ==== (Pace 5168NV Modem/Router) ==== (Fiber optic converter) -------< Fiber optic line

I can be 12 feet from the Netgear range extender in the same room, or 20 feet away in another room and the same 5 GHz slow to connect problem occurs. The 2.4 GHz channel always connects instantly.

The 5 GHz channel is strong with maximum bars. Once it connects, it runs fast and fine with no problems.

Any ideas?

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
What is the channel width set to? 80MHz?

When I access the EX7000 WiFi range extender's settings, only the 2.4 GHz shows channel width which has only one entry as "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence (2.4GHz)" and that box is checked. There is no channel width option for the 5 GHz channel settings.

Thanks,
Skyzoomer