5,700 female mutilations in 1 year found by UK study, *not performed in the UK

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB21206

This is to me one of the most horrific things done to women, seems impossible to get them to stop.

the practice, traditional in some cultures, of partially or totally removing the external genitalia of girls and young women for nonmedical reasons

http://www.newsweek.com/fgm-rates-have-doubled-us-2004-304773

The WHO fact sheet, please read before commenting in the thread to elevate the level of discussion and understand what exactly is being done to these women, an estimated 200 million by the WHO

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

(Title edit for clarity, initial title led some posters to believe all the FGM's listed were performed in the UK, that is not the case, a small number were performed in the UK, itself, most were performed outside the UK, I had copied the title from the article that led me to the study and forum limitations made me shorten it significantly, which led to the misunderstanding. My hope was that members would read the articles, and not simply be misled by the title. Also, it's important to understand that this practice is performed in the US as well, families will pay for a "cutter" to fly here and perform the procedure, or take a a "cutting vacation" where the mutilation is done overseas, as described in the second link, I would ask readers to move beyond my errors to discuss FGM's, which IMHO is a barbaric practice and needs to end, even 1 performed anywhere is too many.)

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Female genital mutilation is a cultural thing. Why would anybody want women to enjoy sex? Sex is for the man's pleasure only. Good luck finding many on this forum that give a fuck about women's rights.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Female genital mutilation is a cultural thing. Why would anybody want women to enjoy sex? Sex is for the man's pleasure only. Good luck finding many on this forum that give a fuck about women's rights.

o_O

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Probably one of the reasons why the Muslim husbands try and do all the talking, when the wife is with a doctor/at the hospital/talking to her gp/etc. Don't want her to slip up and speak about shit like this.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I think this portion is key:

90 per cent of women and girls with a known country of birth were born in an Eastern, Northern or Western African country, and 6 per cent were born in Asia.

I'd think these are immigrants that were mutilated in their home country before immigrating to the UK. The statistics include previously mutilated people who were discovered and reported when coming to the hospital to give birth or during routine evaluation.

I'm not trying to down play this. FGM is a huge issue around the world, but the OP's title suggests a large number of FGMs happened this year IN the UK. That is not correct according the the linked article.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008

I'd think these are immigrants that were mutilated in their home country before immigrating to the UK. The statistics include previously mutilated people who were discovered and reported when coming to the hospital to give birth or during routine evaluation.

I'm not trying to down play this. FGM is a huge issue around the world, but the OP's title suggests a large number of FGMs happened this year IN the UK. That is not correct according the the linked article.

I guess it could be read that way, but how else to word it? Its seems its a UK problem because these are immigrants to the UK, not that the majority are mutilated in the UK.

Article lists:

In 18 newly recorded cases, the FGM was reported to have been undertaken in the United Kingdom, including 11 women and girls who were also reported to have been born in the UK. Where the nature of the UK procedures was known, around 10 were reported with FGM Type 4 – Piercing.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

It's called "vacation cutting"

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Not true guys, it specifically says 96% of the cases are from people born in other countries. The 5700 number is comprised mostly of immigrants being examined or giving birth and are identified as mutilated. Zaaps read shows "only" 18 cases where the FGM happened in the Uk. Not that that is a good number, but it is significantly different from 5700.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Not true guys, it specifically says 96% of the cases are from people born in other countries. The 5700 number is comprised mostly of immigrants being examined or giving birth and are identified as mutilated. Zaaps read shows "only" 18 cases where the FGM happened in the Uk. Not that that is a good number, but it is significantly different from 5700.

So where it happens makes it ok?

WTF is wrong with you?

Last edited:

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
What's wrong with you? He never said or implied any such thing.

Seems like he's spending a lot of time making an issue of where it's done, we've known for years where & how it's done, explained in the first post, 2nd link.

Nov 25, 2013
Seems like he's spending a lot of time making an issue of where it's done, we've known for years where & how it's done, explained in the first post, 2nd link.

What was your point with this:

"The U.K. Still struggling with immigrants, 5,700 female genital mutilations in 1 year"

As he pointed out that seems to imply that the mutilations are being done in the UK and that is what he seemed to be addressing.

Was that actually your intent? If not, can you see how it could be interpreted as such?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm not responsible for people that post without reading the links.

How can a meaningful discussion occur if people just read the title and freestyle?

There's not enough room in the title to explain it to him like he's 5.

Subyman, go back to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, didn't mean to ask you to read or understand something you should frankly already know about without me even posting this thread.

Last edited:

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

How can a meaningful discussion occur if people just read the title and freestyle?

Subyman, go back to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, didn't mean to ask you to read or understand something you should frankly already know about without me even posting this thread.

Uhm, I read the link and it disagreed with your title and intent of the OP. You are digging a hole. Frankly, I understood your link better than you did. You seem to be getting flustered.

Nov 25, 2013

You really should stop misrepresenting what's been going on in this thread.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

No, it's your responsibility to clarify your intent and meaning, particularly starting with the thread title. It's perfectly reasonable to assume based on that title that you were talking about a problem in the UK relating to how many Muslims are immigrating there. It's what I thought as well. Indeed, that is what everyone is talking about these days, Muslims immigrating here or there so of course that is what people thought you meant. And guess what, I still think that is what you meant in spite of you claiming otherwise.

People may or may not read every word of every article you link but they will take your meaning from your words.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Come on, debating over a thread title instead of address the issue.

Everywhere I could find this article, the title of the story could be taken to mean 'FSM occurring IN the UK" if one doesn't read past the headline.

Example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...figures-show-nearly-6000-new-cases-in-england

This article (no idea the validity) talks about traditionally, young girls are taken back home on "summer holidays" and mutilated there. Doing so is a crime in the UK, punishable by up to 14 years in prison- but so far no one has been convicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/06/female-genital-mutilation-foreign-crime-common-uk

Also:

"It's becoming a lot more expensive to go home, so we have heard now that people are pooling together resources to bring a cutter over from abroad to mutilate their girls over here in a group. I think people will use whatever means they can if they are determined for this to happen."

McCulloch agrees: "[Families] are forming a sort of co-operative to raise the funding to pay for someone to come from overseas. The family will bring all the girls together and it is done. Those who are wealthy are using nurses or doctors or private clinics That is why London especially has been accused of being the FGM city of Europe because many people are coming from Europe on Eurostar and having their daughters [mutilated]."

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Sigh, my intent was not to mislead, it was to focus on FGM, my apologies to anyone misled, I copied the title from an article that led me to the study, I edited the title because of forum limitations in title length.

My hope was to bring to light that this barbaric practice continues around the world, and to me the frequency of it was shocking (at least to me).

Once again, my apologies for a title that was misleading, it was not my intent.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sigh, my intent was not to mislead, it was to focus on FGM, my apologies to anyone misled, I copied the title from an article that led me to the study, I edited the title because of forum limitations in title length.

My hope was to bring to light that this barbaric practice continues around the world, and to me the frequency of it was shocking (at least to me).

Fair enough.

For the record, FGM is an utterly repugnant practice.

Nov 25, 2013

Good on you. :thumbsup:

And, I doubt that you'll find anyone here who isn't disgusted by the practice.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm as disgusted by it as the next person, however I do find the outrage somewhat amusing, considering how prevalent male genital mutilation is here in the west...

Yeah I know it's not exactly a fair comparison, but it does fit the general description - being changed("mutilated") for no reason but tradition.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Good on you. :thumbsup:

And, I doubt that you'll find anyone here who isn't disgusted by the practice.

I use an iPad Pro as my primary web access device, the virtual keyboard and my evidently diminished IQ lead me to typing less than I perhaps should.

Title edited, with an apology, I hope the links provided would clarify the data posted, and where the FGM's occurred.