4mb vs. 8mb

LoTecha

Mar 5, 2002
I have a 4mb sgram integrated ATI Rage Pro LT (agp2x) and I'm looking for smoother video playback and smoother scrolling in IE. Would upgrading to 8mb do the trick? Specs as follows:

K6-3+ 450@600
256mb ram (running at 100mhz)
7200rpm hd

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
I would say that it will make very little noticable difference. I only say this because in the past I've used pc's with both 4 and 8 mb versions of the rage cards and I couldn't tell the difference between the machines performance wise.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If your running n higher resolutions it would probably help out a decent amount.
But when you can get a 32MB ATi Rage 128 for around $20 that is vastly superior to your current card, or a Radeon LE for around $45 bucks then I tend to think your much better off just buying an entirely new graphics card then upgrading the DRAM on your current model.

Their are FAR better cards available for even $20...

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<< Thanks for your responses, but does anyone know the answer to the question? >>

yes an 8mb card would be significantly better. exactly how much better depends on your rig really and IMO yours is fine for IE browsing n stuff so yeah it should do the trick.

on a tangent now, laugh's idea was pretty good. the card is dirt cheap @ $32 and will be a hella improvement...
rolleye.gif

SFang

Apr 4, 2001
I was thinking about trading in my 8mb ati xpert 98. But, if you really want it, I will sell it to you for $15 + shipping. :)

LoTecha

Mar 5, 2002
My current graphics card is integrated into my mobo, so I was hoping to keep it (considering I don't play games). However, I do want to watch divx and mpg movies on this thing at full quality with no slowdowns and that's not happening on higher quality movies. Two reasons I don't want to get a new graphics card are:

1. It would have to be PCI (no AGP slot)
2. Generates more heat

Considering I can't seem to find any 4mb sgram sticks though, I'll probably just take the plunge and get a Geforce2 mx200 or stick with what I have. Thanks for your help.

SFang: you'd probably be better off trading in and getting the $50? back that ati is offering. Thanks for the offer though.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
they also make radeon in the pci flavor. a voodoo3 would do u nicely as well.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<<

Considering I can't seem to find any 4mb sgram sticks though, I'll probably just take the plunge and get a Geforce2 mx200 or stick with what I have. Thanks for your help.

SFang: you'd probably be better off trading in and getting the $50? back that ati is offering. Thanks for the offer though.
>>

There are PCI Radeon cards available, there are also some PCI Rage 128 cards available for under #30 that would be a vast improvement over what you currently have.

FWIW, I would strongly suggest passing on the GF2 MX200.... there are better cards all around for the same price. Faster, better visual quality, better feature set.. etc.
The MX200 is cheap and it carries the GF2 brand name, but there are cards available at a similar price point that are superior in every respect.