4K video editing using VNC/RDP to system across the room possible with 10 gigabit ethernet?

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
I would need a 25' video cable in order to have the 4K editing rig across the room share my main monitor, keyboard and mouse. Instead, I was hoping I could use 10gbe cards and vnc/rdp to get into the video editing rig from my main day-to-day pc. Would this work without issue?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Video editing is a job where you definitely don't want weird video compression artefacts showing up on your system. Why not just move your rig?

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
I'd be running at a true 4K display resolution. Cable length matters. I think the maximum passive cable length is like 3 meters, which fall short of what I need. I'll need at least 6 meters. Active cables can go longer but longer runs affect bandwidth, so I'd need to determine where the cut off is before I lose full bandwidth with an active cable.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
4K video editing of Value is an Oxymoron when coupled with using VNC/RDP.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Posted this many times.

Cheaper option and higher bandwidth with 40Gbps network.

No need to stick with 10/5/2.5/1G BaseT tech.

But you can try TeamViewer first, which it claims that it supports 4K remote.

Reactions: killster1
Feb 25, 2011
Just get a Wireless HDMI thing. Audio/Video (especially audio!) doesn't work very well over VNC/RDP protocols.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
horribad idea. extend your cables if you must, but do not try to video edit through vnc rdp.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, found this guy doing 4K video editing on a PC remotely using MS RDP client from an android 4K TV box. Don't know what his network speed is, however.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would go the 25' cable route. That's how I'm setup now with my workstation. I have my main rig which is Linux, and a Windows one for gaming. Having two PCs at my desk was too cramped and attracted too much dust, was loud, left me with hardly no leg room and in summer was hot. Overall was just cumbersome so I just moved both of them in the server room which is below my office and ran 25' cables for everything through a hole I drilled in the floor with a hole saw. I have a KVM in the basement so I can switch between the two with hot key.

Reactions: killster1

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
"bang good"? In programming, "bang" is how you pronounce "!". "!" used like that is usually the Boolean not operator. So that would be "not good"! :rolleyes:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
"bang good"? In programming, "bang" is how you pronounce "!". "!" used like that is usually the Boolean not operator. So that would be "not good"! :rolleyes:
It should be named "Damngood" instead, I suppose. :rolleyes:

The reality is that he achieved 4K editing remotely, (although just a section of the 4K screen) just disregard what the brand is.

==

Although most people here suggest using cables, if you read the reviews on Amazon they weren't actually good.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The sad thing is the Technology is taking over by Marketing.

Logic based on Verbal Hyperbolic is tangible Technological facts.

One can say look... if I put down the number 1 and add next to it another 1 - I get 11.

But in real tangible life 1 and 1 is 2 and even the Gecko cannot change it.

images

:cool:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Why not run the encoding machine headless and just fullscreen RDP into that machine from your remote machine?

I am lost in what your trying to accomplish.

abufrejoval

Jun 24, 2017
I would need a 25' video cable in order to have the 4K editing rig across the room share my main monitor, keyboard and mouse. Instead, I was hoping I could use 10gbe cards and vnc/rdp to get into the video editing rig from my main day-to-day pc. Would this work without issue?

For cutting and splicing of video with little regards to visual quality, a software solution like RDP etc. might work: So far my experience with RDP on 4K screens has been rather terrible even over 10GBit networks: Pretty sure the RDP codecs haven't been adapted since SVGA days and they are all CPU based.

But with Displayport and HDMI being digital and packet oriented these days, the difference between video, PCIe and Ethernet starts to blur and consequently what you want is becoming both reasonable and possible and also something that game stream-casters already seem to do quite regularly: Why should video editing be any different than playing a game and broadcasting/recording that in real-time?

Modern GPUs have hardware blocks for encoding frame buffer data at fixed latency overheads into x264 and x265 video streams way below Gbit bandwidth, but I'm afraid that those may not work at 4K or without some type of compromise on latency or quality. And you still need software to top into that: RDP/TeamViewer/VNC AFAIK don't.

What's still left is using Ethernet cabling, but perhaps without the Ethernet and certainly without the IP and software parts: There is hardware out there, which will run video signals over Ethernet Cat 5/6/7 media, perhaps even including switches (check!), but up to 100m.

ATEN is one of them: https://www.aten.com/global/en/products/professional-audiovideo/video-extenders/ and just the first one that popped up on a Google search: There may well be more.