4k htpc advice, spec me please

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Hi all, haven't built a htpc since 1080p was the top requirement I have been running an Amd Apu and it has been rock solid for years with 1080p content and hd audio serving my projector and TV through hdmi through my amp.
Now I've been tasked with building a htpc for a friend who is about to go for 4k I have been waiting and waiting for the raven ridge apus's but this system needs to be built now.
So could you experts spec me a build I could pick up the parts for today, it has to be small silent or at least very quiet be able to play 4k locally stored files and streamed 4k Netflix and Amazon content, price isn't an issue although value would be welcome thanks,

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
If that is all you are doing, why not a 4k media player box?

The all-round versatility of a pc will suit me better, it will also be a browsing download machine, and do all those silly little jobs like updating firmware and the countless other things it'll end up inevitably being used for.

Reactions: hoorah

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
At the moment the Asrock Deskmini 110 is catching my eye, paired with an i5 Kaby Lake CPU sodimm memory and either an m2 drive or an ssd .
Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Will take a look at the Ryzen 7, but past experiences tell me to go for the more mature hardware.

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Ok so I'm thinking

Deskmini 110
Intel i5 7600s
2 X 4gig GSkill sodimm
500gb sandisk ssd
Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler
Totals at roughly £600

Should get me a quiet very small media playing beast that should get me up to until 8k becomes the new standard.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
As long as you go kaby-lake you are good to go for full 4k support, especially for Netflix. Anything else isn't compatible unless you go 1050ti or higher GPU, and not AMD.

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
As long as you go kaby-lake you are good to go for full 4k support, especially for Netflix. Anything else isn't compatible unless you go 1050ti or higher GPU, and not AMD.

Can anyone confirm for me that this set up will be able to bitstream all hd audio formats over the hdmi through an AV receiver.

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
At the moment the Asrock Deskmini 110 is catching my eye, paired with an i5 Kaby Lake CPU sodimm memory and either an m2 drive or an ssd .
Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Why ask for advice? Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Why ask for advice? Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

When I made my first post I had no idea what I was going to use, since then I've been doing my research.
I would think it's pretty obvious why I would ask on the forum of a site that reviews and analyses pc components?
Now I'm leaning towards a particular build for my purpose why would I not post that here and see if anything I've overlooked or any unknown caveats would be revealed to me.
Seems the wise thing to do, now have you actually got anything constructive to add??

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Built came to £630, and can confirm it eats up all 4k material streamed and local
It also bitstreams all audio formats from Dolby Digital, Dts, Dts-HD, Dts-MA, Dolby Atmos, Dts-X.