4GB RAM and Windows XP

WaiWai

Jul 13, 2004
4GB RAM and Windows XP
I realise Windows XP (32-bit) supports up to 4GB RAM only.

However it says Windows XP needs to use some address space for your hardware, so only "4GB - address space reserved" will be usable in the operating system. That seems to mean some of your RAM are wasted due to the address space issues, aren't they? Thus

1. Since some of your RAM are occupied due to hardware address space issues, does it mean my RAM have been wasted (a waste of money to buy RAM that you can't use at all in any case)? If so, it seems to be wrong to think Windows XP can actually support up to 4GB RAM.

2. The above happens when I have 4 GB. Why doesn't it happen when I have 2 or 3 GB only? Doesn't our hardware still need to reserve memory space (or use some of my RAM)? Why am I able to use 100% of my RAM in the operating system when I have less RAM (but not when I have more)?

3. I wonder whether all these are display issues only. How much RAM being shown in the operating system doesn't change the fact that my hardware has to consume some of my RAM. Essentially they are using up the same amount of RAM in 2-3GB and 4GB cases. Buying 4GB doesn't make me waste more RAM than 2-3GB cases. Am I right?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
That seems to mean some of your RAM are wasted due to the address space issues, aren't they? Thus

Yes and this has been discussed ad nauseum.

1. Since some of your RAM are occupied due to hardware address space issues, does it mean my RAM have been wasted (a waste of money to buy RAM that you can't use at all in any case)? If so, it seems to be wrong to think Windows XP can actually support up to 4GB RAM.

Pretty much.

2. The above happens when I have 4 GB. Why doesn't it happen when I have 2 or 3 GB only? Doesn't our hardware still need to reserve memory space (or use some of my RAM)? Why am I able to use 100% of my RAM in the operating system when I have less RAM (but not when I have more)?

Becaue the hardware addresses always start at the 4G mark and move down. It's the virtual addresses that are stolen not the physical ones and that's why you can remap the lost memory above the 4G mark and still use it if you have an OS that will let you.

3. I wonder whether all these are display issues only. How much RAM being shown in the operating system doesn't change the fact that my hardware has to consume some of my RAM. Essentially they are using up the same amount of RAM in 2-3GB and 4GB cases. Buying 4GB doesn't make me waste more RAM than 2-3GB cases. Am I right?

No, you're confused about virtual vs physical addresses and how they're used in this case.

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
This has been discussed to death on forums everywhere. The options are to run 64bit xp/vista or server, or just use less ram.

I have 4gb in my system because i was using xp64, but i just recently dove back down to 32bit for many reasons.

WaiWai

Jul 13, 2004
Originally posted by: bwatson283
This has been discussed to death on forums everywhere. The options are to run 64bit xp/vista or server, or just use less ram.

I have 4gb in my system because i was using xp64, but i just recently dove back down to 32bit for many reasons.

I know how to solve the 4GB RAM problem, that is to use 64-bit OS (which is not really a good solution so far). The best is to avoid buying 4GB.

I just don't understand some technical details of that case.

One more question. How can I know how much memory address will be occupied beforehand? I realise the memory addresses occupied varies depending on your hardware configuration, but how can I estimate the size of "memory holes".

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: WaiWai
Originally posted by: bwatson283

I know how to solve the 4GB RAM problem, that is to use 64-bit OS (which is not really a good solution so far). The best is to avoid buying 4GB.

I just don't understand some technical details of that case.

One more question. How can I know how much memory address will be occupied beforehand? I realise the memory addresses occupied varies depending on your hardware configuration, but how can I estimate the size of "memory holes".

Basically, everything that has a driver will suck up memory addresses. You can look in Windows task manager to get a better idea or estimate but keep in mind there are processes that will make further inroads into addressable space as they are called.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
It isn't drivers or processes what cuts into the address space available for RAM. It's the actual I/O hardware itself, the biggest chunks being graphics related.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
You can look in Windows task manager to get a better idea or estimate but keep in mind there are processes that will make further inroads into addressable space as they are called.

Nope, each process has their own individual 4G address space.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Using 4x1GB memory, you get about 3.25 GB available for 32-bit Windows.
Memory needs to be installed in equal pairs to maintain "dual channel" compatibility.
So, for 32-bit OS's, probably most economical to use 2x1 GB + 2x512 Mb memory sticks.
Although with the recent drop in memory prices, probably almost equal end cost to just go with 4x1 GB sticks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Are you sure you need that much memory? If you're not hitting your page file I wouldn't even worry about it.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: vailr
Memory needs to be installed in equal pairs to maintain "dual channel" compatibility.
So, for 32-bit OS's, probably most economical to use 2x1 GB + 2x512 Mb memory sticks.
Although with the recent drop in memory prices, probably almost equal end cost to just go with 4x1 GB sticks.

No, I have 3.5GB installed on my Asus PC-DL and it all shows up.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jonmcc33
Originally posted by: vailr

No, I have 3.5GB installed on my Asus PC-DL and it all shows up.

There's no firm number you can point to, every machine will be different. Of the 4gb I have installed, 3.07gb is available.