4890 vram temps

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
What is to high for this card? It is water cooled but not full block wouldn't fit so my vram has been getting hot like 100c in long gaming periods am going to have to make some better cooling for them but what is to hot?

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Are you talking core memory or VRM (voltage regulator) temperature? If it's the latter it's hot but within spec.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Woah, so your 8 memory chips on the card are not covered by anything ?

You need to buy copper based heatsinks for each memory chip or else the card is going to die soon. Or a big copper piece 1 piece to cover all 8. The stock HSF you took off if you noticed was on the memory too. You can't leave them without any type of cooling. Are you getting a lot of artifacts and what not ?

anyhow the gurus here will guide you to what to buy to cover the BGA memory. gl

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
No the stock heat sink didn't even come close to touching them. I think it pushed air down to them thought by looking at it.

I made some home made ram sinks last night and put those on there got the temps down to like 75c when playing I just wanted to know what everyone else temps where for there memory.

So anyone with a 4890 stock please reply with your normal game load temps thanks. :hmm:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I watercool my 4870s and my memory IO hits 40. Why doesn't it fit now? You need to fix your mounting. Are you using a shim?

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
No the full length cooler hits my VRM chips I didn't feel like spending the money on tradeing it around so I just used a core cooler only.

Still have the full length if anyone would like to buy it.
My core stays at around 40c little hotter depending on the day under load.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
How could one part of the core run that much hotter. I know shader cores get hotter but I get a big difference.

The first day when it was very hot I under-clocked my ram to 900 and it ram 5c cooler.

Well I did so reading lol it's the temp of the memory controller which is part of the core and seems like it's kinda normal for it to be a little hotter than the rest of the core.

Am going to check the mount again to make sure it level also.

Last edited: