4890 Failure - Bios Fix?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Absolution75
Just an update on the card. It seems to have issues with the dell 2408WFP monitor (friend has one). The issue is that the monitor loses signal after awhile (a short flash, nothing displayed).

After some searching, I found this to be a persistant problem with the HD4890. I called MSI support and they said they'd know about it it was a problem (ya . . . right . . .).

Anyway, I flashed the card to the latest XFX HD4890 bios (they released a few updated bios, said it was a known problem) and it no longer flashes.

I am going to refer to the above post in the Hot Deals forum for one description, but I have been having an intermittent stability problem with my MSI 4890 OC card as well.

The problem I have does not manifest like other graphics card OC issues I have previously experienced (sparkling, screen freezes, etc.) I get some linear tearing on avi files, a quick flash, maybe a freeze for a very short period in high activity online FPSs like COD4. I kind of think it is an OC issue, but I am not really pushing the envelope there. Idle heat running 950 core and 1120 memory (have to verify the memory speed as I don't have the system up right now) is at around 55-60 C. with the fan in the mid-20's. Under load the fan doesn't get up much beyond mid-30s%.

Do I have an OC issue?

Has anyone else got information on a bios flash as something we need to look to the manufacturers for to establish a better stability?

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
Try reverting to stock clocks, the card probably is not stable at those clocks.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Likely an OC issue, but I was wondering if anyone was tracking fails for the 4890s.

My card is a MSI R4890-T2D1G OC. I checked the MSI WWW site and can't find any bios fixes as Absolution75 found for his XFX. Anyone aware of any bios fixes for the MSI 4890 OC?

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
Umm downclock the card to stock first. You can't fix an unstable overclock with a "BIOS fix," plain and simple. Don't know why you are ignoring our advice.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have no problems with my MSI 4890 but I'm running stock speeds. I'm not sure why you quoted fan speeds instead of temps. My temps top out around 65C-70C while gaming.