4870 X2 - double performance GTX 280...

cm123

Jul 3, 2003
info from AMD on the 4870 X2 below:

Double the performance you would get from a GeForce GTX 280 on Skulltrail, they?re fast! In fact, on Skulltrail, they?re more than twice as fast in 3Dmark Vantage as a single GeForce GTX 280. ATI?s name for this GPU ought to be ?Butt-Kicking Benchmark Buster? because these dual-GPU cards are fast.

http://www.maximumpc.com/artic...vealedpart_three_three

The verdict
The verdict is that the new ATI Radeon 4860 and Radeon 4870 deliver stunning performance at an extremely compelling price. If you?ve been waiting to upgrade to a DirectX10 compatible graphics card, now is the time. For less than the price of an Xbox 360, you can upgrade your GPU and get kick-ass gaming performance on most modern PCs.

Smaller GPU ? Big Workloads
What?s more, ATI is kissing the giant GPU goodbye, preferring smaller, more efficient GPUs that work in tandem with big workloads. We?ve walked this path before, says Maximum PC, when Intel?s NetBurst architecture reached the end of its life, we were seeing the largest, hottest, most power-hungry GPUs ever, but performance wasn?t scaling in line with power and heat increases.

Multi-core design
In order to see a 10 percent performance boost, the new CPU would generate 30 percent more heat and require 30 percent more power. This was an untenable situation, so Intel and AMD quickly moved away from monolithic cores to more efficient multi-core designs. If your application can take advantage of all the CPU cores in your system, you should see significantly better performance with much slower, cooler multi-core designs that you would with a similar-size single-core design running at twice the speed.

More speed, lower price
The two main GPU manufactures are at a similar crossroads, but each chose a different direction with its new generation of GPU. ATI?s new design in the Radeon 4870 is delivering about 75 percent of the speed of the GTX 289 in most of our benchmarks, says Maximum PC and for a fraction of the price. Read the full Maximum PC article.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Woah...a little misleading here?

"As it stands, two dual-GPU Radeon HD 4870 X2 cards stomp on one of Nvidia's top-of-the-line Geforce GTX 280 cards. The performance is nearly doubled in our 3DMark Vantage graphical test, and that's just using engineering samples of these AMD powerhouses."

4 GPUS > 1? I would hope so.....

cm123

Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

"As it stands, two dual-GPU Radeon HD 4870 X2 cards stomp on one of Nvidia's top-of-the-line Geforce GTX 280 cards. The performance is nearly doubled in our 3DMark Vantage graphical test, and that's just using engineering samples of these AMD powerhouses."

take it as you will - its amd info, not totally sure though if they really mean since the HD 4870 X2 is two cores, that really its just one card, not 2 making it 4 cores or what....

...really would not 1 HD 4870 X2 take the GTX 280 in most everything, given that 1 4870 today already gives it bit of run and at 1680res and down even beats it here and there?

These are comments being shared by AMD Tigon Channel Newsletter for August 2008 - also is new 790GX chipset and X4 9950, 9150e, 9350e

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Yes, 1 4870X2 will beat a 280 in games that scale....but not "Double the performance" as your misleading thread title reads.

What you are referring to is 2 4870X2's in Crossfire X being double in some cases.

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006

lol agreed.

cm123

Jul 3, 2003
Yes, 1 4870X2 will beat a 280 in games that scale....but not "Double the performance" as your misleading thread title reads.

What you are referring to is 2 4870X2's in Crossfire X being double in some cases.

you mean as AMD words say - maybe more fair to say 2 4870's in cf today may beat 280 in most games - having both 280 and cf 4870's right now, I like the quality of pic bit better from ati side, however myself personally, (just me remember) I'm not so certain that 4870 in cf are always faster in many of the games I play - again just me...

clearly this shows direction AMD is trying to go - will it hurt or help their cause? maybe a nvidia refresh is coming of/from nvidia sooner than we all may think? all would take is couple of 260's on single card right?