4850 and Oblivion and CCC

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
What kind of settings are people using for Oblivion and 4850 cards at 1680x1050? When I set it to 16xAF and 8xAA adaptive in the towns and cities its fine, but when I get out into the wilderness its very choppy. I have to lower my settings to 8xAF and 4xAA with no adaptive. Also with my old nvidia card when I set something in the nvidia control panel and closed it, the settings would stick and I wouldn't have to reload the control panel ever again. But with the ati ccc if I set vsync and close the ccc when I play bf2 vsync is still off. If I launch ccc and leave it at the taskbar then it works. Do you have to have your ccc launched for it to keep you settings for 3d? Because I know with nvidia's you don't...

ccubed

Jul 4, 2008
You might check some of the Oblivion sites for some .ini tweaks and mods. If I remember correctly, one of the main problems outdoors was with the grass. Some changes to the .ini and some mods toned down the grass textures. Although depending upon the settings, it wasn't really all that noticeable visually, but many people saw dramatic improvements in performance. I didn't but that was because I was running it on an old Radeon 9800 pro. :eek:

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
There are low-poly grass mods you can install, which can alleviate the stress of rendering them.
Try tesnexus.com. Some older files might still be linked to tessource.net or something, but the file structure is exactly the same so just change the domain to tesnexus.com and it will work.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I seem to remember I forced the 8X MSAA mode or whatever was the generally suggested best performance for least FPS drop mode in CCC,
and did 16xAF. I haven't noticed any problems on a stock clocked 4850 and X2-4400 CPU with that setup.