480 4GB successfully flashed to 8GB [TechPowerUp]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

What is more 'funny' is how this is at all related to the topic. :thumbsdown:

The 4GB -> 8GB flash is awesome, but at least in the US, I don't see 4GB really for sale on the common sites. Hoping we see some more 4GB product available for cheap flashing to 8GB.

Based on bits here and there, the only 'downside' to this rumor is that the population of reference 4GB cards is likely very small. Great upgrade, if you can find one! Sounds like the EU has better availability.

A_Skywalker

Apr 9, 2016

The 4GB -> 8GB flash is awesome, but at least in the US, I don't see 4GB really for sale on the common sites. Hoping we see some more 4GB product available for cheap flashing to 8GB.

Based on bits here and there, the only 'downside' to this rumor is that the population of reference 4GB cards is likely very small. Great upgrade, if you can find one! Sounds like the EU has better availability.

There were a lot of 4 gb cards available from where i bought mine. Sadly I didnt know this is possible and I bought the 8 gb version, anyway, its only 30$ difference.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Or maybe they sold those basically at cost to make sure they met the $199 price point. Doesn't mean they can afford to sell them all for that price. They have to make up their R&D costs.

If AMD can afford to do that, then NV Shirley can. :D

As another poster suggested, war using the 1060?

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Will be waiting to see if they pull a Kingston and the "new" real 4GB worth of ram they swap in down the road without changing the model number performs the same...

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

There won't be any more. Most of the new stock probably won't have them or they will just be AIB models which are mostly 8gb models.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Will be waiting to see if they pull a Kingston and the "new" real 4GB worth of ram they swap in down the road without changing the model number performs the same...

That's why the "4GB" boards that are physically 8GB have the RAM downclocked to 7GHz in the BIOS. So you have a minimum performance level that the AIBs will meet. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8GHz+ GDDR5 in AIB custom 4GB cards, however.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
They can sell me 1080 at the price of 480. I ain't going to be mad, really.
Most wouldn't be mad even at $400 price-point. It is the $600 which is a kick to the groin, given this is a midrange card, and soon there will be 1080ti and Titan pee.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
This is so classic.

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-4GB-Surprise-8GB-768x576.jpg

A sticker?!

They are so dedicated to giving us good deals that they dont even waste money on a 2nd box design. They should have gone full 20th century and put two checkboxes...

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is so classic.

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-4GB-Surprise-8GB-768x576.jpg

A sticker?!

They are so dedicated to giving us good deals that they dont even waste money on a 2nd box design. They should have gone full 20th century and put two checkboxes...
The pic doesn't load for me. It's most likely these will no longer be around given the next few shipments.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Most wouldn't be mad even at $400 price-point. It is the $600 which is a kick to the groin, given this is a midrange card, and soon there will be 1080ti and Titan pee.

I am not sure you know what midrange is.

The rx 480 and by the looks of it the 1060 would be considered midrange these days.

PigSkinWhiteBoy

Jul 6, 2016
So, basically... if you weren't part of the first wave, you can't get in on this? I;m finding them to be sold out on best buy and newegg and am guessing that they won't re-supply retailers until they have actual 4gb cards? Would've been nice for a cheap 4k solution.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So, basically... if you weren't part of the first wave, you can't get in on this? I;m finding them to be sold out on best buy and newegg and am guessing that they won't re-supply retailers until they have actual 4gb cards? Would've been nice for a cheap 4k solution.
Seems like it. They most likely will change them coming the new wave. Seeing how I haven't seen any in stock since release the next set is suppose to be AIB models and those will most likely be 8gb.