477 Rifles (machine guns, AKs, etc) , 100K of ammo, 500 lbs. of gunpowder - Baghdad? Gaza? Waco? Guess again..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Honestly, I'm impressed by this guy. He apparently USED his guns. That's what they're for, dammit.

And NJ, NY, CA, and MD can suck my nuts.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The whole gun lobby in the country is full of garbage, by refusing to endorse COMMON FREAKING SENSE legislation like background checks at gun shows where plenty of the hated terrorists can go to purchase weapons that can spray down large groups of people at a time. Or how angry the NRA and the Delay wing get when semi-automatic guns like the Uzi are banned, give me a break, its not like you need an UZI to shoot deer.

I believe LAW-Abiding citizens should have a right to bear arms. But at not at the expense of common sense.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Brackis
Jesus christ.... oh noes my guns are going to be taken away?!!@#?!@#
You guys preach and whine about needing more security and military to protect us against evil terrorists who will get weapons and kill all of us, but when its a white guy in New Jersey with 500 pounds of gunpowder in leaking bags who has been selling blackmarket automatic weapons with silencers gets arrested, it is wrong?
Give me a break.
Go enjoy shooting your collection of hobby guns you middle class white conservative folks and stop acting like poor victims who need to "rise up".

Edited: spelling and a few clarifying words.
Just for the record, I'm a white middle-class Bush-bashing Democrat gun enthusiast - and I'm by no means the only one I know. What infuriates us is the media's ignorance and obvious bias against private citizens owning guns. You don't have to be a raving NRA lunatic to see it, either - the more you know about guns the more clear it becomes.

Having said that, I have no sympathy for arms traffickers - that guy was doing far more to arm the criminals than protect anybody from them.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Proletariat

You guys preach and whine about needing more security and military to protect us against evil terrorists who will get weapons and kill all of us, but when its a white guy in New Jersey with 500 pounds of gunpowder in leaking bags who has been selling blackmarket automatic weapons with silencers it is wrong?

Give me a break.
Go enjoy shooting your small collection of hobby guns you middle class white southern folks and stop acting like poor victims.

WTF are you talking about?
How freaking hard is it to understand? I mean I know this is OT but come-f***ing-on man. Hes talking about the sad double standard some people have been displaying in this thread and your pathetic need for weapons to fight a government which could easily crush you even with said weapons. If this dude was an Arab or something he would be in Guantonomo sitting in an air-conditioned room with no clothes on and listening to some loud-ass Metallica music for a few days.

What "sad double standard?" The people in this thread, and these forums, are all about protecting a person's right to own weapons legally.

Which has nothing to do with a convicted felon, who illegally acquired and possessed these weapons, not to mention committing an assortment of other crimes.
It's sad that there are laws that made him a felon :)

According to thae article, his 'felony' was selling the guns in the first place.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
The whole gun lobby in the country is full of garbage, by refusing to endorse COMMON FREAKING SENSE legislation like background checks at gun shows where plenty of the hated terrorists can go to purchase weapons that can spray down large groups of people at a time. Or how angry the NRA and the Delay wing get when semi-automatic guns like the Uzi are banned, give me a break, its not like you need an UZI to shoot deer.

I believe LAW-Abiding citizens should have a right to bear arms. But at not at the expense of common sense.
You don't need a car that can go over 75MPH, so should we start banning cars that can go 80? Sure, there are people that always stay below 75, but then there are people that don't! And who cares if there are people that go 75 but want to go 200 on a private track. Just make it all against the law, cause someone might go 80 if the law doesn't stop them!!!

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: So

You guys preach and whine about needing more security and military to protect us against evil terrorists who will get weapons and kill all of us, but when its a white guy in New Jersey with 500 pounds of gunpowder in leaking bags who has been selling blackmarket automatic weapons with silencers it is wrong?

Give me a break.
Go enjoy shooting your small collection of hobby guns you middle class white southern folks and stop acting like poor victims.

How freaking hard is it to understand? I mean I know this is OT but come-f***ing-on man. Hes talking about the sad double standard some people have been displaying in this thread and your pathetic need for weapons to fight a government which could easily crush you even with said weapons. If this dude was an Arab or something he would be in Guantonomo sitting in an air-conditioned room with no clothes on and listening to some loud-ass Metallica music for a few days.

What "sad double standard?" The people in this thread, and these forums, are all about protecting a person's right to own weapons legally.

Which has nothing to do with a convicted felon, who illegally acquired and possessed these weapons, not to mention committing an assortment of other crimes.

According to thae article, his 'felony' was selling the guns in the first place.

Do you think the gun dealer that sold guns to kids at Columbine deserved to be punished? How about if he sold one of his guns to a felon that went ahead and killed some innocent people?

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: phantom309
You guys preach and whine about needing more security and military to protect us against evil terrorists who will get weapons and kill all of us, but when its a white guy in New Jersey with 500 pounds of gunpowder in leaking bags who has been selling blackmarket automatic weapons with silencers gets arrested, it is wrong?
Give me a break.
Go enjoy shooting your collection of hobby guns you middle class white conservative folks and stop acting like poor victims who need to "rise up".

Edited: spelling and a few clarifying words.
Just for the record, I'm a white middle-class Bush-bashing Democrat gun enthusiast - and I'm by no means the only one I know. What infuriates us is the media's ignorance and obvious bias against private citizens owning guns. You don't have to be a raving NRA lunatic to see it, either - the more you know about guns the more clear it becomes.

Having said that, I have no sympathy for arms traffickers - that guy was doing far more to arm the criminals than protect anybody from them.
Funny, I'm a Bush bashing guy who shoots guns too. There are many laws that I think are stupid for guns, but others that should be in place (and some that aren't). the point is that this guy had stockpiles of guns he knew were illegal. Seeing as he had over 20 of the same model AK and SKS (okay, yes there are many variations of the SKS, but not enough so that you aren't having many identical ones in a set of 20) which shows he may have had some intent to sell or distribute these guns. Selling illegal guns, especially ones with silencers and full autocapabilities, and having silencer making materials, is nothing to commend, nor should he be abrogated from these charges.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Give me a break.

Do you think the gun dealer that sold guns to kids at Columbine deserved to be punished? How about if he sold one of his guns to a felon that went ahead and killed some innocent people?

Well, the kids at columbine were minors, so this hypothetical person should be charged for selling firearms to minors, but no, someone who sells arms is not in any way responsible for the manner in which they were used.

Should Boeing be charged for 9/11?

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

You don't need a car that can go over 75MPH, so should we start banning cars that can go 80? Sure, there are people that always stay below 75, but then there are people that don't! And who cares if there are people that go 75 but want to go 200 on a private track. Just make it all against the law, cause someone might go 80 if the law doesn't stop them!!!

Nobody is saying that all rifles should be banned. But rifles that can take out large of groups of people QUICKLY do need to be looked at. What is the harm in limiting weapons that can cause massive death in under a minute?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Give me a break.

I highly doubt he legally sold "silenced" sub-machine guns. So that would put the "dealer" and purchaser in the wrong.

Also, the Columbine kids also illegally obtained the weapons via a "straw purchaser." This would only put the "straw purchaser" in the wrong.

If a licensed dealer sold a gun to a felon, this would put both the dealer and purchaser in the wrong.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Nobody is saying that all rifles should be banned. But rifles that can take out large of groups of people QUICKLY do need to be looked at. What is the harm in limiting weapons that can cause massive death in under a minute?

You've been listening to the media too much.

I'm about as pro-gun as they come but I'm 100% OK with him being arrested. As a convicted felon he doesn't get to own guns. As for the AK's & SKS that are banned in NJ he should have picked a different state to live in.

I wouldn't live there if you paid my rent.

Viper GTS

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

You can fire multiple rounds per second with a semi-automatic, too.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You can fire multiple rounds per second with a semi-automatic, too.

With the possible exception of the "World War II machine gun" these ARE semi-autos.

Viper GTS

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002

You are confusing the movies with real life. Full auto machine guns are heavily regulated in the US and have been since the 1930s. They are incredibly expensive and difficult to acquire legally - and doing so will immediately make you very, very interesting to certain federal agencies. The number of violent crimes commited with a legal fully-auto weapon since the 1930s legislation has been exactly one.

Semiautomatic weapons like the SKS or civilian versions of the AK or AR15 are no more dangerous than the .45 pistol in your dad's sock drawer. They all fire one shot per trigger pull, no matter how evil they look. "Yes, but the SKS has a....a...BAYONET and a GRENADE LAUNCHER!!!!!!" you say. Guess what? The grenades are illegal and virtually impossible to get in this country. Has there ever been a violent crime comitted in the US with an SKS bayonet?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

common sense would dictate that owning assault weapons is a hobby or part of one. common sense would also show that "joe average law abiding citizen" does not rob banks, break into "unarmed joes" and rob or kill him, but in some parts of the country you have to jump through hoops to own a gun against "joe on crack with multiple felony convictions" when bad joe can get the gun on the street easier than good joe can legally.

put a gun in every house and i bet crime would go way down ;) deterrence :)

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: bob4432

common sense would dictate that owning assault weapons is a hobby or part of one. common sense would also show that "joe average law abiding citizen" does not rob banks, break into "unarmed joes" and rob or kill him, but in some parts of the country you have to jump through hoops to own a gun against "joe on crack with multiple felony convictions" when bad joe can get the gun on the street easier than good joe can legally.

put a gun in every house and i bet crime would go way down ;) deterrence :)

Your points are valid. I just think reaching a middle ground on some of the issues could have a positive impact in society. Not everything in life is so black and white.

walla

Jun 2, 2001
well how are we supposed to keep soldiers from unlawfully quartering in our houses if we can't stockpile weapons?

randumb

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2003
Originally posted by: walla
well how are we supposed to keep soldiers from unlawfully quartering in our houses if we can't stockpile weapons?

i'm pro-gun, but this is a pretty ridiculous argument. there's no way a civilian could stand a chance in a firefight with the army.

walla

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: randumb

i'm pro-gun, but this is a pretty ridiculous argument. there's no way a civilian could stand a chance in a firefight with the army.

you don't watch enough hollywood blockbuster movies, do you?

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: randumb

There are 1 million people in the armed forces, there are 130 million homes with firearms (over 200 million actual guns estimated). I think at 130 to 1 there's a certain amount of equalization happening. Also understand that a LARGE percentage of military personnel would NOT fight their own people, unless it was widely viewed as a defensive action.

You are furthermore assuming that the military would deploy on US soil as they have in other nations, which is ridiculous beyond imagining. The only way to maintain popular support is to reduce or remove civilian casualities and property damage...which would be impossible with full scale deployments. No, a revolution on American soil would be responded to by small unit actions, easily matched by citizens with equipment, training and brains.

Citizens ownership of firearms IS a check/balance on the government. Even if we're not talking about military vs civilian in a revolution, any good rifle in the hands of someone who knows what to do can remove many MANY corrupted officials before he's stopped.