41% of college students believe hate speech should NOT be protected by the constitution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
I'm not a college student, but I don't think hate speech that calls for violence against others should be protected (and I'm fairly certain a lot more people agree with that, seeing as how there's literally fucking laws against making threats and calling to incite violence and such talk being a primary factor in establishing hate crimes - they're just ridiculously rarely ever actually done anything about, although that is starting to change as we've seen its leading to assholes like the OP acting on the speech once again).

Hell, I'm not ok with "garden variety hate speech" either and if you spout that shit expect to be called out for it.

And yes, that goes for groups that people like the OP try and claim are made entirely of liberals (Antifa, the "New Black Panther Party" that has bastardized what the original Black Panthers stood for) should they do that. Its just overwhelmingly that right wing and white supremacist (honestly probably could've skipped the "and" there since right wing groups are strongly trending towards white supremacy, but hey the OP doesn't want to talk about that and tries to claim no such thing is happening but then he also will claim that white supremacists don't do stuff that they outright admit to doing so reality isn't something he's keen on addressing) groups are the ones doing that shit today. Weird how you piss and moan about some clamp down on free speech of right wingers while claiming its actually liberals saying hate speech (and arguing something needs to be done about them, gee, its like you don't actually support such freedom of speech when its against your "fine white" friends...).

Plus, I thought according to you dipshits it was "just trolling" are you now actually just full on admitting that its legit hate speech and that you're also on board with it? Because up til now you've tried to claim you weren't, but this is you explicitly saying that hate speech should be accepted.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So now we're concerned about the Constitution? Do tell...

@UglyCasanova - Are you past the "burn it down" phase now. If not, then your deep concern for our constructional Republic (not democracy) is fake...again.

Hate speech is how the burning begins so of course he's in favor of it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Uh, yes I am. Are you comfortable with republicans being in charge of defining hate speech once hate speech is criminalized?

Does it matter for me? What legislation can you point to that supports this concern?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I truly dont understand democrats sometimes. They suffered the most stunning electoral upset in the nation's history three years ago, yet it never seems to occur to them that the sweeping power they want to hand to government might be wielded against them.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I asked a hypothetical. You answer my question then I'll answer yours.

Your hypothetical is a stretch of unusual proportions, but fitting under this admin. So, I'll bite....the answer is default no, especially under this admin, since they have proven to be untrustworthy partisan shills.

There's no legislation in progress that I know of that Republicans would even be near signing. You don't need to answer my non-hypothetical, lol...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I truly dont understand democrats sometimes. They suffered the most stunning electoral upset in the nation's history three years ago, yet it never seems to occur to them that the sweeping power they want to hand to government might be wielded against them.

Just read the OP, not even the whole article:

'There is a new class of students on college campuses, increasingly varied in background and ideology, who are grappling with the reach and limits of free speech and what it means in the 21st century,' said Sam Gill, Knight Foundation vice president for learning and communities.
'Studying their views is key to understanding the impact that they may have on rights that are fundamental to our democracy,' he added.

Who says it's all Democrats in the survey? You do, as an assumption.

And winning by less than 100K votes across three states while entertaining the assistance of a hostile foreign power interfering in our election is somehow "stunning" to you? I think what's stunning is your interpretation of the word stunning, since the definition disagrees with you.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
More evasiveness. Anyone else?

I answered you directly, that isn't happening, and I'm more concerned about your never ending desire to control women. That is something actually being done now. Stop doing that and then we can talk about your other bull shit.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

covfefe?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's completely tangentially to the topic at hand. There's nothing in the OP about govt limiting speech at all. It's not about that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And winning by less than 100K votes across three states while entertaining the assistance of a hostile foreign power interfering in our election is somehow "stunning" to you? I think what's stunning is your interpretation of the word stunning, since the definition disagrees with you.

I found it stunning. I never imagined that 62M of my fellow Americans were so fucked in the head that they'd actually elect Trump president.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ah. I see. It's the kids these days.

:shrug: Nothing new. Americans have always moved all over the place on where the limits of speech should be drawn. The idea that this is "very actively trying to move towards limited-and-censored speech" is silly, as we already accept limits on our speech.

I do recall quite a bit of rancor (from the President no less) about not wanting football players to kneel during the National Anthem or insisting that saying "Happy Holidays" was somehow Unamerican. There is a surprisingly vocal contigent that seems to think that criticizing bigoted speech or discriminatory actions should not be permitted. But it is a small group. They are mostly hypocritical and easily ignored.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Your hypothetical is a stretch of unusual proportions, but fitting under this admin. So, I'll bite....the answer is default no, especially under this admin, since they have proven to be untrustworthy partisan shills.

There's no legislation in progress that I know of that Republicans would even be near signing. You don't need to answer my non-hypothetical, lol...

Exactly. That much power is awful in the wrong hands, and the government may at any moment fall into the wrong hands, so it's best left not granted.

The existence or not of any legislation to ban "hate speech" is irrelevant. The subject of this OP is the notion of including it in the very short list of unprotected speech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Who except democrats defend the notion of banning "hate speech"?

Considering that every single person with a brain thought Hillary would win, yes I consider that a stunning political upset.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
By all means, let's promote and encourage hate speech that divides our nation, create dissension, weakens us and threatens our security internally and externally.

Let's give our enemies everything they've ever dreamed of since our founding.

Being free to promote racism, hate and divisiveness is, after all, a protected right of which our Republican Party must practice as they have been in order to survive the changes our nation and the world is inevitably going through.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Exactly. That much power is awful in the wrong hands, and the government may at any moment fall into the wrong hands, so it's best left not granted.

The existence or not of any legislation to ban "hate speech" is irrelevant. The subject of this OP is the notion of including it in the very short list of unprotected speech.

So you agree this admin is the wrong hands. Good.

oh, and now my non hypothetical that you wouldn't answer is simply irrelevant. lol, youre so full of shit.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I found it stunning. I never imagined that 62M of my fellow Americans were so fucked in the head that they'd actually elect Trump president.
That's such an interesting statement. What do you think needs to be done about those that are "fucked in the head"?