401K and taxes for Green Card holder permanently leaving the country.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
My wife and I are divorcing. She has a 401K. What is the tax situation on if she leaves the country permanently and wants to take it out?

This would happen after 12/31/12.

I don't want to be stuck with a tax burden on it for 2013.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
why would you be liable for tax burden if you are divorced?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
why would you be liable for tax burden if you are divorced?

I don't know, but I don't want to be somehow whether by lien on our home (she was on the deed, not the note) or her car I am going to sell.

She's going to have to take the tax affidavit to be allowed to permanently leave (many just skip this step and move out), but she doesn't know if she will ever end up back in the USA. I doubt she will, but she worries about EVERYTHING.

If everything works out well, I am going to let her just keep that 401k intact (it's only $6500 right now) and just pay from the proceeds from our liquidations.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
401K is through her employer. Is she quitting? Best thing to do is set het up an IRA in her name only.

Roll over the 401K into the IRA. Now it is her headache alone if she chooses to liquidate. If you file a joint return for 2012 the 401K shows up and is offset by the IRA rollover. Make sure that conversion is done before end of year. Then the following year, ensure no ties into her financially. Her income is hers. The divorce needs to be finalized before the IRA gets liquidated. Otherwise you can be liable.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
She will be quitting. She'd like to work until she leaves in Feb or so though.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Here we go again ...

Can we assume that you (no pun intended) are filing married filing jointly?

If the answer is yes AND she withdraws funds before you divorce my GUESS is that yes, you (jointly) will be responsible for a bunch-o-taxes ... unless you can convince her to wait until after the legal divorce.

I can't wait to see where this thread goes ...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Here we go again ...

Can we assume that you (no pun intended) are filing married filing jointly?

If the answer is yes AND she withdraws funds before you divorce my GUESS is that yes, you (jointly) will be responsible for a bunch-o-taxes ... unless you can convince her to wait until after the legal divorce.

I can't wait to see where this thread goes ...

yeap.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
lol, at the fucking retard and hillbilly that think I am just lying here.

Your time is coming soon. :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lol, at the fucking retard and hillbilly that think I am just lying here.

Your time is coming soon. :)

who thinks you are lying? considering how much you cheat on her its no shock. most likely the best for both of you.

as for for the tax's you guys are married. you will end up shareing the tax burden. shrug

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
401K is through her employer. Is she quitting? Best thing to do is set het up an IRA in her name only.

Roll over the 401K into the IRA. Now it is her headache alone if she chooses to liquidate. If you file a joint return for 2012 the 401K shows up and is offset by the IRA rollover. Make sure that conversion is done before end of year. Then the following year, ensure no ties into her financially. Her income is hers. The divorce needs to be finalized before the IRA gets liquidated. Otherwise you can be liable.

This sounds like the answer.

Also, how bad can half of the tax burden on $6,500 be?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
This sounds like the answer.

Also, how bad can half of the tax burden on $6,500 be?
It can't be bad.

Is it unreasonable to just have her clear it out now, pay the 10% penalty on that, and then consider the remaining $5850 as income for this year? I assume she wants the money. I have no tax experience, just throwing it out there.