$400 Insignia 42in plasma TV **dead**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I thought IPS was just a type of LCD screen, not Plasma screens?

How does this TV sound? I'm interested (it fits my tight budget) and will be in a city Monday where the Best Buy store has this TV in stock. I might just have to replace my old tube TV.

They were talking about an LG LCD model from Fry's.

Can't help you with how the Insignia plasma sounds -- I don't have any audio plugged into it! (dedicated A/V receiver + speakers)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
From what I've read, & I don't own a 360, but I believe the 360 upscales all 720p signals to 1080p on 1080p capable displays. So, if this is true, if you click the Display button while playing a 360 game, your display should indicate it's 1080p material.

I'm sure the 360 experts here will chime in & confirm whether or not this is true. What I do know is, the PS3 doesn't do this. My brother has both & says the 360 does.

1080p up-scaling is an option for the 360, only works over HDMI, its not on by default, however sending a 1080p signal to a 720 P TV to have it downscaled is kinda pointless, just set the 360 to output 720

purplehippo

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2000
My wife's boss purchased 8 of these for his new pizza joint/sports bar. They look great to me.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Are there ever any 32 or 37" plasmas for sale? This is a really good price but 42" is too big for me.

hkklife

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2003
Panasonic discontinued their 32" & 37" Plasma panels years ago. I think 2007 was the last year a <42" Plasma was available (a 37" Panny).

If you need 37" or below, LCD's the only way to go. There aren't even that many 37" LCDs as there used to be, sadly. I think that's pretty much the sweet spot on size for most peoples' bedrooms. Only Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Vizio and a handful of others still make sets in 37" versions. Most manufacturers have setttled on 32" & 40", and 46", with a few 42" LCDs still around.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

How does this TV sound? I'm interested (it fits my tight budget) and will be in a city Monday where the Best Buy store has this TV in stock. I might just have to replace my old tube TV.

Monday, the sale may be over. you better order on line for instore pick up.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Finally got it out of the box. Then I was pushed out of the way for the Wii players:\. Pic looks good on that. The cable pic was o.k. IIRC, there's some other setup from the cable co. to get all HD. Will check on it Monday. Keep in mind that I have some color deficiencies and my glasses are due for an update. To me, it was loud at a fraction of the volume range but I didn't get to listen for quality.

Thanks Gibson.

Edit: The ferric thing is to block interference. Does it go on the power or the connector cables? And do I even need it? Didn't notice any fuzzies.

Edit2: Need a surround sound now.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
just checked the website, its back up to 500 :(

maybe go there and try to haggle it back down to 400.

TinMan2

Sep 30, 2005
I think the manual states that the shield should be placed on the coax cable where it connects to the tv. To block interference.......?

TinMan2

Sep 30, 2005
From the manual:
"The ferrite core shields cables from interference."

Slipping them over the cables (coax or HDMI) stops RF leakage into and out of your
monitor. It reduces interference between components that travel through
the cabling that might turn the cable into an antenna.

Of course, its probably unnecessary to use the shield, considering how well insulated cables are these days.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally Posted by nobodyknows

Monday, the sale may be over. you better order on line for instore pick up.

Wish I would have listened to you. I stopped by today to see it and it looked like a good ehough picture (for my budget anway), but I couldn't get them to sell it for any lower price then $499.

One of the sales reps said it would be going on sale again next week and they only had 2 left. He said to just put it on the credit card and I had 30 days to adjust the price if it came on sale, or to take it back if it didn't or if I didn't like the set for some reason.

So I bought it, plus the geeksquad guarantee for 4 years for another$110 or so. Totla cost was ~$635, but if it comes back on sake aI can get $100 off by doing a price adjustment. <crosses fingers>

I got back too late and too tired to even take it out of the box and I have to leave town tomorrow also to see my Mom. She is 85 and fell down yesterday morning and has a hairline fracture in her hip. That's not good, a lot of old ladies die from complications of a broken pelvis. <crosses fingers again>

I'll post back when I get it hooked up and working.

Last edited:

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Wish i would have listened to you. Is stopped by and it looked like a good ehough picture (for my budget anway) to me, but I couldn't get them to sell it for any lower price.

One of the sales reps said it would be going on sale again next week and they only had 2left. He said to just put it on the credit card and I had 30 days to adjust the price if it came on sale, or to take it ack if it didn't and I didn't like it.

So I bought it, plus the geeksquad gurantee for 4 years for another$110 or so. Totla cost was ~$635, but if it comes back on sake aI can get $100 off by doing a price adjustment. <crosses fingers>

I got back too late and too tired to even take it out of the box and I have to leave town tomorrow also to see my Mom. She is 85 and fell down yesterday morning and has a hairline fracture in her hip. That's not good, a lot of old ladies die from complications of a broken pelvis. <crosses fingers again>

I'll post back when I get it hooked up and working.

good luck man. My grandma had an accident that gave her a fracture on her hip. Man, everyone was thinking the worst and it was bad. thankfully, she pulled through, but she still in lots of pain even after 2 years.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
good luck man. My grandma had an accident that gave her a fracture on her hip. Man, everyone was thinking the worst and it was bad. thankfully, she pulled through, but she still in lots of pain even after 2 years.

Thanks man. I'm going over to see her today, she is only 50 miles away.

My son and I stayed up late last night and got the TV working. The picture lloks good and the sound seems to be good to me also. If i can get a price adjusment for the other $100 I'll be a happy camper!

PS. I'm a total noob when it comes to LCD Tv's, etc. Can anyone tell me if this TV has a QAM tuner or how to tell if it does? I hooked it up to cable, set it to digital and let it scan. I get more channels, but as far as I can tell at this point they are all the free, over-the-air channels.

Last edited: