brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
for a second i thought that ATOT had been around that long
bfmd41m.png

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
VR pron and the first damaging competition to prostitution in the form of sex robots is our next step in "advancement"(I actually hate such terms because the beings with 23 chromosomes actually don't change just because some of the nerds in the group help design tech using the people's money).

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Before she passed, I used to talk to my grandma all the time about this stuff. She was born in the depression & almost made it to 100. Only about 20 years prior, the Wright brothers made their first flight. She went through WWII, the Jet Age, and the trip to the moon to Facetiming with us every Sunday & using Alexa as her assistant & audiobook reader. When my grandpa passed away, she stepped up her technology game & learned how to use a computer, a color printer, a flat-screen TV, and a Roomba.

I was born in the early 80's & am in the mid-gap "Oregon Trailster" generation, where we were the first batch of kids to get computers in schools & play the Oregon Trail video game on them. When I got into middle school, they had just dropped shop class in favor of technology class - my grade was the first to take the course! I learned how to type in 7th grade (very painful, but it worked!), which sort of set the foundation for a lot of my future opportunities. I later did a job in audio transcription & the ability to type fast has provided some really incredible opportunities for me over the years.

I went through a minimalist phase using technology that still has a foothold in my life where I digitized my music, movies, paperwork, books, photos, you name it! We have a wall-mounted Roku TV with a zillion shows on it. My iPhone does 90% of my computing these days. Last year, I picked up a jumbo iPad & Pen and do the majority of my creative work & art on it, using it to control vinyl-cutting machines, 3D printers, CNC machines, and laser machines. I have an Instant Pot & an Anova Precision combi-steam oven that does the majority of my cooking. I remember being so bored as a kid I wanted to claw my eyes out, and now TikTok exists to teach you anything you want to know instantly & entertain you with a spectrum of niches. Anything you want to learn is at your fingertips with Google, Youtube, and Wikipedia. Anyone you want to talk to about any topic you can dream of is on Facebook groups, Reddit, and Discord.

My nephews have grown up with wi-fi & 3G everywhere they've ever gone. There's no loading of tapes or DVD's or CD's, they just click on Netflix or ask Alexa to launch Hulu. They don't have to wait to save up for Legos because Minecraft gives you unlimited free blocks with mods, worlds, skins, and programming available. They can talk to their tablets using the highly accurate speech-to-text system to send their parents messages or video-chat me whenever they have a tech question. Enormous amounts of games are available for them through the app store. They can stream Xbox, Playstation, and Steam anytime they want to their mobile devices or big-screen television sets. Sceptre sells 50" televisions at Walmart for $199 on sale these days. Walmart even sells decent laptops for $299.

I eventually came to the ideology that, for the most part, I self-limit my happiness, and that aside from the effort I'm willing to consistently put into improving & maintaining my lifestyle, my attitude determines the bulk of my enjoyment. We live in a golden area of accessibility & information. The average grocery store stocks over 42,000 items; strawberries are available in the dead of winter for $6. We have over 14,000 unique jobs available with nearly 7 million job openings right now. Over 2.2 billion iPhones have been sold worldwide. Self-driving cars are inching closer to reality. The Internet makes education in virtually any domain yours for the taking, whether it's working on your car or your plumbing or cooking or learning how to draw or anything. MIT has OpenCourseWare available, as do zillions of other websites with various learning resources.

And today I learned that they found multiple historical huts made entirely out of Mammoth bones in Russia. Just look at the progress we've made...I don't have to be a farmer or a hunter, all I have to do is pop open the Uber Eats app & someone will buzz some burgers over to my house in twenty minutes. Absolutely insanity.

1629057117604.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One big issue humanity seems to have these days is wanting to outsource everything and not do anything themselves. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't feel like cooking, so I just order take out. I don't feel like making something from scratch, I just buy something premade at the grocery store. I don't feel like building something by hand? I hire a crew with equipment etc...

We've become so complacent with just being able to pickup the phone and get someone else to do something for us that lot of us are losing knowledge on how to do basic survival tasks.

We tend to place "smartness" on people that create or use technology, but reality is, people like farmers and cooks that are actually smart.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
One big issue humanity seems to have these days is wanting to outsource everything and not do anything themselves. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't feel like cooking, so I just order take out. I don't feel like making something from scratch, I just buy something premade at the grocery store. I don't feel like building something by hand? I hire a crew with equipment etc...

We've become so complacent with just being able to pickup the phone and get someone else to do something for us that lot of us are losing knowledge on how to do basic survival tasks.

We tend to place "smartness" on people that create or use technology, but reality is, people like farmers and cooks that are actually smart.

this is why i think "the time machine" by h. g. wells is prescient.

if we don't blow ourselves up, i could see us ending up in an eloi-and-morlock type of society. it's kind of diverged that way already.

Reactions: dank69

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

You think farmers and cooks don't use technology?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Don't blame humanity for you being a lazy piece of shit.

jk

Sort of. :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks for reminding me 81 was 40yrs ago. Payback time -

NMbWqxg.jpeg

Reactions: Captante

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
And thank you for reminding me I graduated high school 40 years ago.
Damn, time flies.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You mean to grow their weed and cook their meth? I'm pretty sure they're still doing things the hard way in rural Canada where he's from.
Farming and oil go hand-in-hand. Semi trucks and tractors. Fertilizer.

Gave us a lease on the food supply but obviously, there needs to be a better solution eventually.

Farmers are also unethical little piece of shit who created white trash spawn who can slim jim their way into cars and commit petty crimes. They can also transition to scoundrel money-grubbing trades like mechanics, construction, plumbing, and other blue collar jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: VirtualLarry

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Farming and oil go hand-in-hand. Semi trucks and tractors. Fertilizer.

Gave us a lease on the food supply but obviously, there needs to be a better solution eventually.

Farmers are also unethical little piece of shit who created white trash spawn who can slim jim their way into cars and commit petty crimes. They can also transition to scoundrel money-grubbing trades like mechanics, construction, plumbing, and other blue collar jobs.
Wow, you've, uh... definitely got some opinions.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wow, you've, uh... definitely got some opinions.
Nothing beats personal experience in developing a vendetta. If I had the means and a state of anarchy in government, I'd massacre the entire family of that sunnuva bitch from his daddy down to his fucking daughter for the theft and break in but of course I'd lose my own freedom if that ever happened.

Ironically, sunnva bitch actually did do something to his own mommy or someone similar around the same time. So much so they tried to get a vulnerable persons domestic violence order against him but failed. So they evicted him from their house. Their surname of Haines is so commonplace and old there's even a park somewhere in the vicinity. Then these white boys are buddy buddy with a black neighbor who just got busted for a white collar crime involving orthopedic equipment and getting "exclusive deals" with a dude at Walter Reed Medical hospital.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Nothing beats personal experience in developing a vendetta. If I had the means and a state of anarchy in government, I'd massacre the entire family of that sunnuva bitch from his daddy down to his fucking daughter for the theft and break in but of course I'd lose my own freedom if that ever happened.

Ironically, sunnva bitch actually did do something to his own mommy or someone similar around the same time. So much so they tried to get a vulnerable persons domestic violence order against him but failed. So they evicted him from their house. Their surname of Haines is so commonplace and old there's even a park somewhere in the vicinity. Then these white boys are buddy buddy with a black neighbor who just got busted for a white collar crime involving orthopedic equipment and getting "exclusive deals" with a dude at Walter Reed Medical hospital.
Maybe not a good reason to hate on all farmers and their children, you know.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe not a good reason to hate on all farmers and their children, you know.
Baby Jesuses ain't coming out of those environs. From an impersonal perspective, the acre owners tend to vote red and luv their Donald.