40% of 9 and 10 year old girls dieting?

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
THat is crazy. HOWEVER, the girl who lives next door is starting 1st grade this year, and is WAY overweight. If she doesn't control this soon, she will be heavy all of her life. That girl must be about 6 years old, and she obviously doesn't care what she looks like. She will later though :confused:

Huz

Dec 27, 2001
I think it's great that kids are starting to notice what they look like. I don't necessarily ever advocate "dieting" though. Lifestyle change is more along the lines of the terminology I'd use.

I feel bad for children raised at McDonalds who, by the time they're into their teens, are 50+ pounds overwieght. They don't know any better; they can't provide for themselves. They just take what Mom and Dad give 'em. "Here's a quarter pounder, now go play Xbox."

Even if it takes images in the media to make them realize that they're fat and they need to do something about it, I think it's worth it. The US is the fattest country in the world, and it's not by accident.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Huz
I think it's great that kids are starting to notice what they look like. I don't necessarily ever advocate "dieting" though. Lifestyle change is more along the lines of the terminology I'd use.

I feel bad for children raised at McDonalds who, by the time they're into their teens, are 50+ pounds overwieght. They don't know any better; they can't provide for themselves. They just take what Mom and Dad give 'em. "Here's a quarter pounder, now go play Xbox."

Even if it takes images in the media to make them realize that they're fat and they need to do something about it, I think it's worth it. The US is the fattest country in the world, and it's not by accident.
Well put!

Now you have to stop flooding the boards with all these posts!!

:D

Huz

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Cyberian

Well put!

Now you have to stop flooding the boards with all these posts!!

:D

Sorry I just walked passed a 500 pound man and work and felt compelled to go off...

lol

Mustangrrl

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm all for physically healthy kids, I just wish there was something that could be done for their mental health as well--kids who diet (and those who NEED to diet) are usually f'ed up emotionally.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002

exactly. I'm not at all excited to learn that the kids are dieting because it implies that it's a struggle they'll be engaged in temporarily. It sounds like a yo yo lifestyle. I think it's much wiser to take less overt steps and start teaching kids to enjoy a wider range of good food in concert with moderation. The whole fast food prepared meals stuff is revolting and quite unhealthy.

We were doing the same thing as kids.
No big deal.
Sheltering children only inhibits the maturing process.