40" hdtv $365 DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
a lot of good reviews too!
i am still using a 37inch Westinghouse since 2008. maybe this is a good time to upgrade. thanks!!

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Thanks for pointing this out. Wife has been complaining that we need another tv in the house since she hates the shows I watch.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Click on the product link and the code is there on the page.
Just wish this had built in wifi.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
only downside is it doesn't retain settings after it's powered off, a few reviewers noted this so it sounds like a PITA, nice price for that size screen though..

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Am I correct in understanding that the "120Hz spec" is interpolation for video inputs, and NOT a true 120Hz input signal capability?

If it had that, I would say "Hot deal", but as-is, it seems kind of "meh". Ok for a secondary TV for a big house though.

(I'm using a 32" Westinghouse LCD TV with a DVD player built in to it, I don't think that they make this model any more. Works ok, seems like they pipe the HDMI output through some post-processing that actually ADDS NTSC-like color fringing. Probably an ill-fated attempt to make SD video look better . http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t3i4Ell5Nac/p_64732H590D/Westinghouse-SK-32H590D.html )

Edit:
Other Thoughts: Terrible, grainy picture from computer via HDMI. Unlike every other monitor I know of - including other Westys - no way to force monitor timing for PC. Other monitors have one HDMI input dedicated for PC, or allow pixel-by-pixel mapping to override television overscan, or have a dropdown to choose the type of input. Since this is fed from my HDPC this was a showstopper. You could use the VGA connector, but you lose HDCP (meaning, no BluRay, no restricted content Media Center television etc etc.) You could use DVI, but there's no DVI input.

I just hit on the solution: I connected a cheap little DVI-to-HDMI adapter (you probably have one sitting around somewhere or they're just a few bucks) to the DVI output of the PC, then plugged the HDMI cable into that and then into the Westy. Although I lost sound (no great loss on this monitor anyway), the picture was instantly perfect. Too bad the manual doesn't mention this workaround - or simply provide a PC input in the first place.

Doesn't sound so hot for a PC display.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
only downside is it doesn't retain settings after it's powered off, a few reviewers noted this so it sounds like a PITA, nice price for that size screen though..

I got mine last BF at about the same price. And yes, when input signal is from antenna or coaxial cable it doesn't retain video settings. However, I fount out by using the RCA or HDMi inputs, it DOES retain settings! The other issue is the sound system. The built in speakers and sound is more like tin can systems! So I connected a $25 PC three piece speaker from the audio output and it sounds great! Just make sure you get those speakers with auto off capability when no signal is detected but also auto on when signal is sensed. Picture quality is great too.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
yeah speakers on flat panals seem to suck no matter what size or price range you shoot for. I think Ye Old GXTV I got back in the mid 90's has significantly better speakers then televisions a decade and a half newer. As for those saying the tv is "meh", I'm unconvinced. It's amazing for it's price point if it has 120htz, but really, most 40" HDTV's I see at retail are at the $450-550 mark and are fat in size with 60hz. The fact that you can get a 40" at all for $365 with no tax and free shipping is not bad. I wish it remembered inputs, but I guess such is the cost of such a rock bottom price.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I got mine last BF at about the same price. And yes, when input signal is from antenna or coaxial cable it doesn't retain video settings. However, I fount out by using the RCA or HDMi inputs, it DOES retain settings! The other issue is the sound system. The built in speakers and sound is more like tin can systems! So I connected a $25 PC three piece speaker from the audio output and it sounds great! Just make sure you get those speakers with auto off capability when no signal is detected but also auto on when signal is sensed. Picture quality is great too.

So you had to buy an external tuner and then feed that thru HDMI for it to retain settings?, too much trouble for me..

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
So you had to buy an external tuner and then feed that thru HDMI for it to retain settings?, too much trouble for me..

In my case it's from the cable box not a separate external tuner. And I understand the TV is not for everybody. For others connecting RCA audio cable alone is already a troublesome experience (hence the development of HDMI) even though its already colored coded and not to mention you can even switch the two (red and white connectors) without affecting the sound.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I don't think this deal is dead yet. I am thinking about getting one of these for my g/f.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
i almost jumped on this yesterday but hesitated. by the time i got home from work, they were all out of stock.

i found a similar (same?) model on newegg today for $399 with no promo code though

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
grabbed one of these for the bedroom... seems like a pretty good tv for the price... plugged in a netbook and it's a good netflix display, and the overscan aspect makes analog tv look acceptable on the whole screen, too...

definitely a hot deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.