4 month old TV broken, will they replace?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I have a 4 month old Samsung LED that has vertical bars/screen corruption that actually started 30 days after purchase. It was about $900.00

Samsung is sending someone tomorrow to look at it.

I'm curious what the chances of getting them to replaced it instead of repaired?

I bought it with my BestBuy card so I guess there's no leverage there.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In your shoes (assuming you didn't damage the TV in a neglectful way), I'd release an unholy s***storm upon them if they didn't resolve the situation to my satisfaction. I don't know the law in America on this topic but I assume it's the same as here: Unless you bought the item explicitly without a warranty (and I think it would have to be labelled as damaged stock or something similarly unmistakable), then the warranty entitles you to a working unit without charge (whether that's a case of refund, repair or replace is up to the supplier of the warranty - usually the manufacturer).

I can't remember (first-hand experience that is) a manufacturer ever trying to pull a fast one with the warranty. The cheekiest thing I ever encountered on this topic (though sadly lawful seemingly) is Western Digital replacing my 6-month old WD Black drive (5-year warranty) with a drive that had a 6-month warranty.

Samsung weren't completely straightforward with me over a 850 PRO SSD warranty return but only insofar as questioning my judgement that the drive had failed. They ended up sending me an 860 PRO to replace it with. More detail here.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
A couple years ago I bought my parents a samsung tv, after 10 months the pannel backlight died. They came out and replaced the panel, no new tv. However it is still working perfectly today.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Funny one of the first questions Samsung asked is whether it was wall mounted or had any physical damage as that was like a call ender.

It's not, I bought it new from Best Buy and only use it to watch TV so it's irritating that something so expensive would have display corruption on part of the panel and my only option is repair which makes it in my mind a refurb.

I also have stuck in my mind a Walmart shopping trip where I saw their worker drop a TV in the box to the floor from a 3' tall cart and then just nonchalantly put it in the shelf for sale.

I want to raise a crap storm but they are sending a repair guy next week. He's like the middleman so I don't think it's going to do me any good to break his balls.

I was thinking of showing him the other 4 Samsung TVs, washing machines, etc and saying look buddy just tell them this TV is shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Funny one of the first questions Samsung asked is whether it was wall mounted or had any physical damage as that was like a call ender.

It's not, I bought it new from Best Buy and only use it to watch TV so it's irritating that something so expensive would have display corruption on part of the panel and my only option is repair which makes it in my mind a refurb.

I also have stuck in my mind a Walmart shopping trip where I saw their worker drop a TV in the box to the floor from a 3' tall cart and then just nonchalantly put it in the shelf for sale.

I want to raise a shit storm but they are sending a repair guy next week. He's like the middleman so I don't think it's going to do me any good to break his balls.

I was thinking of showing him the other 4 Samsung TVs, washing machines, etc and saying look buddy just tell them this TV is shot.

Even if they replace it it will likely be a refurb. Four months into one year warranty is definitely repair territory.

WhereYou

Aug 2, 2018
They would not replace it unless it can not be repaired, especially you bought it by BestBuy card.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Well the repair guy came out and said the panel is shot and can't be fixed. I went down the "I want a new TV path" and he basically said the way they build the panels I'm going to end up with a 99% new TV anyway.

What's really weird is today I got a text with my last name saying reply yes if I want a store credit from Best Buy or no if I want to continue with the repair.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I have a 4 month old Samsung LED that has vertical bars/screen corruption that actually started 30 days after purchase. It was about $900.00

Samsung is sending someone tomorrow to look at it.

I'm curious what the chances of getting them to replaced it instead of repaired?

I bought it with my BestBuy card so I guess there's no leverage there.

What size is the screen? That will probably, actually most likely, be the determining factor as to whether or not they repair it, or replace it. I just purchased a 40 inch NU 1700 ultra high definition (UHD) TV from Samsung, and just accepted the one year warranty, because I'm a homeowner. If it should get fried due to a power surge, for whatever, I'll simply file a claim on my insurance policy. Having said that, you can push Samsung for replacement, but you'll have to do it with them directly. I make it mine replaced, no questions asked, simply because one of the apps on the Smart TV keeps freezing.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
What size is the screen? That will probably, actually most likely, be the determining factor as to whether or not they repair it, or replace it. I just purchased a 40 inch NU 1700 ultra high definition (UHD) TV from Samsung, and just accepted the one year warranty, because I'm a homeowner. If it should get fried due to a power surge, for whatever, I'll simply file a claim on my insurance policy. Having said that, you can push Samsung for replacement, but you'll have to do it with them directly. I make it mine replaced, no questions asked, simply because one of the apps on the Smart TV keeps freezing.

It's a Samsung - 49" Class - LED - MU8000 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

You got it replaced because of a freezing app?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
W00t I didn't even have to bend any arms and Samsung is giving me a store credit for the amount that I paid Best Buy for the original TV purchase price!

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Big Samsung fan here and so glad it worked out for you. I have four Samsung TV's; one of which is the 61" LED DLP they made. That TV I bought new at release in 2008 and during all that time I had one failure after 6 years it got the dreaded white dot issue. I ordered the DLP chip online and replaced it myself. Tv has been going strong for another 4 years now and is keeping on keeping on. Great company.

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
Is the tv still a current model? They may replace it because still under warranty. If not current model they probably offer a newer model with similar features. And as others have said, it could be a refurbished unit.

I mostly never get extended warranty. But the last TV i got, the store worked it into the price so was not bad. And at this store if you end up not using it you get a store credit for what it cost you.

Back in 2013 i got one of the last Panasonic Plasma (50ST60). Early in 2017 i got the 8 blinks of death. Turned it on and it made a LOUD click. Dead. With the 8 blinks on LED. Unplugged power for a min and back in. Turned on and worked.

But i called the warranty just in case. They picked it up a few days later. A few more days later. I get a call from the store to say my new TV is ready to be picked up. Cant fix Panasonic. Giving me a new Samsung LED. Took credit memo for value of that and instead put it towards a newer better model. Samsung un55KS8500. Been working great since. And yes i have the extended warranty again.