3DMark 2001 - Question

Burn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
3DMark 2001 is wonderful, I love the Matrix scene, but I have on problem: the nature scene will not run. Any ideas? I have a Geforce DDR in Win2k...

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
The nature part of the benchmark will only run on a GF3... however the nature part is also in the demo and you can see it in there.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have a gf2 mx, and the nature scene wont run for me either, it dosent support it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
3DMark 2001 is wonderful, I love the Matrix scene, but I have on problem: the nature scene will not run. Any ideas? I have a Geforce DDR in Win2k...

At least you can get it to run. Since you use Win2k too, which drivers do you use? I'm using 10.80 now.

thEnEuRoMancER

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
This is stupid, it's possible to watch the nature scene in the demo, but it won't work as a benchmark...

Vinny N

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2000
thEnEuRoMancER:

Glad you said that!

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who was thinking about that...

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
Exactly this is SO FREakin stupid

you can run it in the demo but not in the benchmark

just another sign of madonion sucking up nvidia's arse.

they should at least make it run in the LOW quality mode for the DX7 cards and then High Quality mode for the DX8 compliant cards. Instead they cut the whole part off.

Also, why cannot the GTS run the Pixel shading part? I thought the GTS means Giga Texel shader...
:|

Mykex

Dec 17, 2000
Well I only hope this little addition makes people take this thing for what it is,a sales tool. I mean come on it comes out just as the GF3 hits the market and has features only the GF3 can use? That's a little too much coincidence for me. They have been working on it for a year but on its release it has features only usable by a card just released? Obviously there is a tie to NVidia just to have the information to create a benchmark that will only work on an unreleased card. Some may say I have a bad taste in my mouth over this being a VooDoo junior zelot but for those that are lead by the nose on this one...I'll be crusing the user to user boards looking for a good price on a GF2,since the card is obviously now "suck" since it cant run 3D#2001.;)

Burn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think the nature scene in the demo is the same thing as in the benchmark. I was at a website and it had a person walking across a bridge in a nature scene for the benchmark.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Uh, I just want to clarify when I said that I can't get it to run, I mean the whole thing. I got to the nature scene once during the demo, but most times I don't go past the earth. It locks up my pc. When running the test, it lock up as the truck first appears.

eeut

Feb 25, 2001
i think they want you to BUY future NVIDIA product to make it work. look atleast the 3DMARK 2000
just ask for 3d graphics card even my tnt01 work w/ a k6-450

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

<< they should at least make it run in the LOW quality mode for the DX7 cards and then High Quality mode for the DX8 compliant cards. Instead they cut the whole part off. >>

Well, guys, I hate to break it to you, but it's impossible to make an engine choose whether to run in DX7 or DX8 mode. If the engine was written in DX8, and the hardware doesn't support one of the features, the only thing developer can do is allow the engine to use &quot;Reference Rasterizer&quot;. That will fully disable all hardware features and use software emulation. It's sort of all or nothing. Either you do everything in hardware or everything in software, blame microsoft for that :). Either way, if you were to enable Reference Rasterizer your FPS will drop well under 5. Btw, don't confuse Reference Rasterizer, with Software or RGB rasterizer. The later uses CPU, but cuts off a lot of important features to speed up the rendering)

Just my 2c

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
What i was saying is that make the Game scene 4 2 parts

Low Quality and High quality part, just like the other game scene.

They can make it the LQ part only runs the part in the demo but the HQ part run the other part

Cuz i really like the nature scene.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't see how it is stupid that the benchmark is geared towards dx8, isn't that the future? Thats like having dx7 out and current boards coming out to support it and releasing a benchmark for dx6, WTF? I think it was an intelligent move and in no way kissing up to Nvidia (Nvidia doesn't make dx8 they are just going to be the first ones with a board for it...).

Correct me I'm wrong, but arn't demos and benchmarks 2 different things? 1 pre-rendered and 1 rendered on the fly? I don't know, this is how I explained the fact that my Geforce1 can run all the Geforce3 Nvidia demos (like the 1000 blades of grass, etc).

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
NO

none of the game scenes and demo are prerendered

the Nature scene in the DEMO does not have the LAKE in it, which REQUIRES Pixel Shader to be hardware implemented.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I think the only purpose of 3D Mark 2001 was to illustrate the power of DX8. It would be a sort of a moot point to have low quality scenes in it.

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
If it is really such a DX8 benchmark

why is it even RUNNING on DX7 hardware?

DX8 is supposed to require all new hardware support.

Also, would you call the Nature scene in the DEMO low quality?

i wont.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Because most of the DX8 features are supported by current DX7 hardware. Those few that aren't cause the test to fail.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
As far as including the nature scene in the demo, I have no idea. Ask me any technical question about 3D programming, and I'll do my best to answer. As far as design decissions made by madonion people go, I'm clueless.