Question 3dfx coming back? Holy Cow...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Straight from tweeter...

Please oh pretty please bring back SLI... better yet, give us something magical like how voodoo was, and PLEASE make it non mineable.

However i think its a troll, but April 1st passed a while back ago...

Well here's crossing my fingers.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Does Intel own the Rights to it? Seems kinda Hail Marryish...perhaps Hwuweii(sp) or some surprise challenger made a GPU in secret.

Pretty sure NVidia owns that name or did at one time, so some Gaming marketing scheme may be in play.

Some excitement at least, I suppose.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't understand this. AFAIK, 3DFX dissolved and NVidia bought up their assets and patents, and hired some of their engineers.

What does 3dfx have let, besides a name, to come back to?

Edit: I could see 3dfx releasing "exclusive" gaming PCs, ala AlienWare-esque.

Feb 4, 2009
While I am hyper excited about literally anyone entering the market with a new design.
I don’t think this is it. More likely some manufacturer using the 3Dfx name to sell existing nvidia or AMD cards.

As in 3Dfx gtx 3080

Reactions: The red spirit

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
even if, what would they be coming back as? GPU manufacturer ?!

This reminds me of Commodore coming back as a PC manuafcturer. There was absolutely nothing left of Commodore in there, it was just branding.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It would be fun if they returned as an AMD exclusive partner. :p

It would be even funnier if they returned with a RT add on card that only worked with AMD's offerings.

I still remember the day when I 1st booted the Voodoo card up and tried a game....I don't think it's possible these days to get a similar experience.

I'm leaning more towards it's a fake.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There is a guy who was building "new" voodoo 5500 cards recently and selling them. I think it was with pulled chips/NOS. There have been some retro introductions of other revived old PC setups.

Its actually been so long its possible the 3dfx patents might be expiring so you could maybe do a new run of chips. No explanation on the name though, I mean, I could see nvidia selling it for cheap or maybe that wasn't part of their deal.

I doubt that is what it is but retro parts have gone up a lot in price the last couple years, and voodoo parts have commanded a premium for even longer. Most like its just some kind of troll. There would definitely be a market for just taking the old voodoo products and sticking them behind a pci-e bridge. Not a large market, but A market I guess. Or even just selling the same old product from before.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Maybe they'll be reselling "vintage" cards for retro gaming PC's? Considering that you can't get new GPU's right now, that tactic might actually work!

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe they'll be reselling "vintage" cards for retro gaming PC's? Considering that you can't get new GPU's right now, that tactic might actually work!
Maybe but they’re either going to be priced in the stratosphere because sales just won’t justify costs or they are going to be ultra cheap and barely work to keep costs as low as possible.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
bringing back AGP and PCI cards? Gotta be a troll account. Or some HuGe untapped market for retrogaming that I'm not aware of. Is a VooDoo 3000 PCI card faster than an AMD 3400G APU?

Feb 4, 2009
Wait....wait....wait....
This is possible too.
Maybe some dude bought a lot of unused and empty 3dfx boxes. Like the box only.
This could be an anti bot scalping measure selling the empty box