ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Anything new on this horizon? I have not kept up, and I suppose I could endlessly and aimlessly search, but I figure that is what this forum is for.

Have 120Hz monitors dropped in price? Is nVidia keeping up with game support? Any comments on it? I am still interested in it, but am curious to know feedback of those who have 'used' it, not those who have not used it.

A few concerns I have are:

1) Are there any good 22" 120Hz monitors with a glossy coating?
2) Is the active shutter hard on the eyes for long periods of time?
3) After you used it and the novelty wears off, do you still use it, or does it sit in your computer spare parts area?
4) MMO's??? Decent with them?

terentenet

Nov 8, 2005
You can try the low cost version, 3D Vision Discovery available from Nvidia. All you need is an Nvidia card newer than 8 series and 3D anaglyph glasses (red-cyan) available everywhere. The effect is very nice and I love it. I believe the active shutter technology is even better... at least color accuracy is not off.
Game support is very good, most games support the feature and once your eyes adjust to the 3D image, you won't have problems playing for long periods of time.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
1) Are there any good 22" 120Hz monitors with a glossy coating?
2) Is the active shutter hard on the eyes for long periods of time?
3) After you used it and the novelty wears off, do you still use it, or does it sit in your computer spare parts area?
4) MMO's??? Decent with them?
1) glossy coating is not good for 3D as the reflects with mess with 3D.
2) They are actually good for your eyes as you are no longer looking at the same surface for hours. However, it hurts your head as your brain really are not used to that environment. The pain will go away in a week after your brain adapted to it. After that, it is an excise for your eyes everytime you play.
3) It depends, if your video card is strong enough that FPS is still good in 3D, then you won't go back to 2D. For every new game you play, putting it on 3D will be the first thing you do, before any other effects.
4) Depends on the MMO you play. Health bars on character as well as the cursor may appear to be in 2D instead of 3D, making it difficult to click. WoW don't have that problem and you can distinguish female chars from male chars easily. I tend to check out my female toon from time to time in 3D while waiting.

Like Terentenet said, you don't need to burn $$ to feel it, the 3D vision discovery is as good if you don't mind the coloring.

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
You can try the low cost version, 3D Vision Discovery available from Nvidia. All you need is an Nvidia card newer than 8 series and 3D anaglyph glasses (red-cyan) available everywhere. The effect is very nice and I love it. I believe the active shutter technology is even better... at least color accuracy is not off.
Game support is very good, most games support the feature and once your eyes adjust to the 3D image, you won't have problems playing for long periods of time.

Good information. I did enable the sterio support and use some of those glasses from my kids DVD movies and it worked pretty good (despite the color distortion), but one thing I did notice is that the text in MMO's looked seriously out of place...

So, is the only difference between the active shutter glasses and the sterioscopic red/blue the fact that the former doesn't have color issues? Because if so, then I guess you are right that I should test all my games with my current setup RED/BLUE glasses just to see if my games would work right.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Equally, if you are an ATI user (or indeed an NV user) you can download from here: http://www.iz3d.com/driver and get Red/Cyan 3D.
Not "3D Vision", but a 3D solution which works on both ATI and NV cards/systems.

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
I didn't know that iz3d had such a driver, that is awesome. I thought they only pushed a similar solution to nVidia. Doesn't using red/cyan mean you still get the full refresh rate, and hence 60hz monitors work fine? If so, that's an uber cheap 3d solution, and I'll have to find a comfortable pair of those red/cyan glasses!

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't know that iz3d had such a driver, that is awesome. I thought they only pushed a similar solution to nVidia. Doesn't using red/cyan mean you still get the full refresh rate, and hence 60hz monitors work fine? If so, that's an uber cheap 3d solution, and I'll have to find a comfortable pair of those red/cyan glasses!
they work on 60hz display fine, but the high FPS tax is there.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001

iZ3d and also DDD Tridef drivers will do anaglyph red/cyan, shutter glasses, and polarizing monitors.

The anaglyph is super cheap to test out since you can use the driver for free and get a pair of glasses from some children's book or whatever.. I bought a Toy Story book for $3 just to get 2 pair of glasses :p

Anyway the 3d effect from anaglyph is the same as you get from the other methods except the color is horrible and sometimes parts will ghost through to your other eye.

I tested it out in a few games, BFBC2 doesn't seem to render distant inanimate objects at the proper depth level, making them appear closer than the terrain they're in.. Lotro felt like a popup book, RTS games weren't worth the effect.. Mass Effect didn't work well because the cutscenes are rendered too close in depth compared to the rest of the game.

WoW worked great I was impressed with it the first half hour I tried it, but the next day it seemed weak dunno if the novelty was wearing off or I just messed with the settings too much and ruined it. It was definitely the 1 game I tried that it really worked well though. Not sure what else I tried.

Last edited:

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004

Okay thanks. I am aware that the driver causes the video card to have to kind of render stuff 2x no matter what 3d method is used.

The anaglyph is super cheap to test out since you can use the driver for free and get a pair of glasses from some children's book or whatever.. I bought a Toy Story book for $3 just to get 2 pair of glasses :p

I don't understand why more comfortable glasses for all the types aren't used. They are seriously so uncomfortable that it is a major negative to my adoption of 3d technology and I think for a lot of other people too. I need to find a cheap pair that doesn't irritate me.
I tested it out in a few games, BFBC2 doesn't seem to render distant inanimate objects at the proper depth level, making them appear closer than the terrain they're in.. Lotro felt like a popup book, RTS games weren't worth the effect.. Mass Effect didn't work well because the cutscenes are rendered too close in depth compared to the rest of the game.

WoW worked great I was impressed with it the first half hour I tried it, but the next day it seemed weak dunno if the novelty was wearing off or I just messed with the settings too much and ruined it. It was definitely the 1 game I tried that it really worked well though. Not sure what else I tried.

I'm mostly just interested in Left 4 Dead lol.

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004

Okay thanks. I am aware that the driver causes the video card to have to kind of render stuff 2x no matter what 3d method is used.

I don't understand why more comfortable glasses for all the types aren't used. They are seriously so uncomfortable that it is a major negative to my adoption of 3d technology and I think for a lot of other people too. I need to find a cheap pair that doesn't irritate me.

I'm mostly just interested in Left 4 Dead lol.

Doopster

May 17, 2004
Got back from Japan a couple of weeks ago. I did the 'sony 3d' experience at their Ginza showroom. You know what? The video sucked but the games were awesome! They didn't have avatar or anything good on the video front so video 3d content is pretty thin on the ground. Motostorm which is an average game was 10x better 3d, people were ducking debris and and shit omg 3d for games will be cool