3D bl-ray software player for MKV, even ISO?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Is stereoscopic player still the only software that can play MKV? What is I somehow rip to ISO? are there any other option for ISO?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Is stereoscopic player still the only software that can play MKV? What is I somehow rip to ISO? are there any other option for ISO?

Not sure what you are asking. 3d blurays use a different system (2 video streams) than pc formats (all side by side). So 3d bluray can't be in mkv.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I mean MVC/MKV, or whatever it is. I am just asking that if I rip a 3d blu-ray to PC, what software can I use to play back? I am flexible with ripping format and software too.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Kodi can handle formatted side by side mkv files, but for perfect Blu Ray rips with full menu functions the best option is ISO files mounted with some sort of virtual disk software played by legit Blu Ray player software.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Kodi can handle formatted side by side mkv files, but for perfect Blu Ray rips with full menu functions the best option is ISO files mounted with some sort of virtual disk software played by legit Blu Ray player software.

Do the legit software like PowerDVD play 3Ds properly?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Do the legit software like PowerDVD play 3Ds properly?

If you use the method I outlined sure, because it just looks like you loaded the 3D disk into a Blu Ray drive to PowerDVD. It works great last time I tried. PowerDVD has been able to properly play 3D Blu Rays with the right GPU since 2010.

The issue is that none of this is family friendly or remote driven. You have to load the ISO with a virtual disk mounting software (I use Virtual CloneDrive) and then load PowerDVD afterwards. I never found a way to do that without a keyboard, mouse and desktop mode.

Granted I haven't looked for new solutions in over a year because I realized that overall I dislike 3D movies despite having three 3D TVs. When I do want the effect (mostly for showing off to guests) I just play side-by-side mkvs in Kodi because I am lazy and that is good enough.

But it works fine if you put in the effort.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
powerdvd 14 I been using since I bought it to play my 3d movies I formatted to mkv without any problems at all. I dont have many in my collection, bought maybe 10 so far, but they all work just fine. Never thought to try them in iso format due to space on my drive, so I cant say about that.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I use PowerDVD to play 3D blu ray ISOs. It works fine, except when Cinavia is involved. Then I sigh, put my beer down, climb out of my recliner, and go through the tedious process of actually finding the damn disk.

My meager attempts to change the blu ray format to mkv or whatever and use free software to play back in 3D were unsuccessful. Maybe someone knows how to do that, but I don't.

I don't like 3D movies in the theater, but for some reason I really enjoy them for home viewing.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
then u may want to also install slysoft anydvd hd and let it run in the background, for mkv, use makemkv software, makes a 1:1 copy, then use the other free stuff to make it smaller ;)

Takes a little time to make it smaller if you have to if space is a problem for you, if not, then you have a 1:1 copy in mkv format.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
then u may want to also install slysoft anydvd hd and let it run in the background, for mkv, use makemkv software, makes a 1:1 copy, then use the other free stuff to make it smaller ;)

Takes a little time to make it smaller if you have to if space is a problem for you, if not, then you have a 1:1 copy in mkv format.

Not sure what you are talking about, but I do not have a space problem at all. I have a 3D brd, I want to play it on my PC without using the blu ray drive. That pretty much all I am trying to do. I will try Dirigible way...

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
if space isnt a problem, you can use your iso copies by getting slyfox anydvd program, it will bypass the copy protection of the iso, OR you can get the program called "makemkv" and it will make a MKV 1:1 of your disk for free, and there will be NO copy protection at all to worry about and powerdvd will just play it no problem, thats what I was trying to say. Sorry if I was confusing you.

Also, that was really towards the other guy that chimed in and was having problems...Dirigible

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
if space isnt a problem, you can use your iso copies by getting slyfox anydvd program, it will bypass the copy protection of the iso, OR you can get the program called "makemkv" and it will make a MKV 1:1 of your disk for free, and there will be NO copy protection at all to worry about and powerdvd will just play it no problem, thats what I was trying to say. Sorry if I was confusing you.

Also, that was really towards the other guy that chimed in and was having problems...Dirigible

No problem, ripping is not a problem either. As I mentioned in OP, suppose I have already ripped using makemkv, anydvd or passkey or whatever and end up with a ISO or MVC, how do I play it back? I will probably try PowerDVD and see how it goes... was hoping there would be free player... I use PLEX for everything, I just want to try 3D as I got a new TV, didn't want to spend $$($) for something I will play once or twice.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
No problem, ripping is not a problem either. As I mentioned in OP, suppose I have already ripped using makemkv, anydvd or passkey or whatever and end up with a ISO or MVC, how do I play it back? I will probably try PowerDVD and see how it goes... was hoping there would be free player... I use PLEX for everything, I just want to try 3D as I got a new TV, didn't want to spend $$($) for something I will play once or twice.

Whatever you are running PowerDVD on will run Kodi. Kodi can handle 3D mkvs.

Makemkv has a free 30 trial.

You can also feed Plex into Kodi.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Actually with makemkv, if you go into their forum you can find a new code every month to keep using it for free if you know where to look ;)

As far as a free 3d player goes, I have yet to find a single free one to play my 3d movies right which is why in 2014 I broke down and bought powerdvd. I was forced to if I wanted to play my 3d movies right for, I tried all I could find and none would display right on my projector, but since going with power, Ive yet had a single problem.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 pro retail about 8 months back. I installed makemkv, first time ripping brd it asked if I want to start 30 days trial, I said yes, next time asked same thing again, and again, and again, somehow it can't remember that it already started free trial :D, profit! But before that I always used the code from that thread on their forum.

Thanks for the input about power DVD, will go for it.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
After reading some of the suggestion on Kodi, I tried it. It does have a 3d feature, but with my projector it has to be displayed in a 23hz, and Kodi doesnt switch to that when selected to 3d like powerdvd does, and there is nothing in the settings I can find to force it to do that, or select a 1080p23hz setting, which means yet again, Im stuck with powerdvd. I was soooo hoping it was going to work for I do like the layout of Kodi a TOT after messing with it a bit just now. :( sad panda :(

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Will older versions of powerdvd like 13 or 12 work? They are selling cheap on flebay

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
from what I know, 14 does mvk files, so I would say no, I just remember when I was looking into it myself, 14 was the better choice, cant remember really why, but I just remember that 14 was the only way to go. But i will say, ive tried the trial of 15, and it sucks compared to 14, IMHO, and or the last 2 years, 14 has always worked for me with everything ive thrown at it.

Last edited:

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I guess I've never been worried about 3D to begin with I suppose.

Does seem to have gotten better the one time I went to the theater and watched it HD lately, not something I would splurge money on at home myself though, IMHO.

Still just seems more like a gimmick to me, that doesn't add much.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
They recently added 3d support in madvr[1][2] and LAVFilters[3] for directshow players (e.g. mpc-hc[4]). May want to check that out if you're still looking around.

From LAVFilters changelog:

[1] http://madvr.com/
[2] http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
[3] https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
[4] https://mpc-hc.org/

Thanks, does this mean that I will have to rip in a certain different way? or convert the rip to a different format? Or that I can play the makemkv output in any of the listed player?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Thanks, does this mean that I will have to rip in a certain different way? or convert the rip to a different format? Or that I can play the makemkv output in any of the listed player?

I'm not entirely certain how the MVC stuff works but I would imagine that whatever you do, so long as it preserves MVC, should be fine.