3Com 4400SE Switch Gigabit Expansion Cards

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
Hey there, I've got an oddish question for the networking guru's out there. At home I have a 3Com SuperStack 3 4400SE 24 Port 10/100 Switch powering my network. This switch has two add-on module slots on the back that will accept model: 3C17220 single port Gigabit Expansion cards.

I transfer lots of video files, and various other gigabyte+ sized files between my main computer and my home file server. While 100MBPs gets the job done eventually, it sucks waiting on these files to copy. Both of my machines are equipped with Gigabit capable network cards however and I was wondering if I purchased two of these expansion cards for my switch, would I be able to plug my file-server into one, and my main rig into the other and use these ports just like normal??? And be able to transfer my files between those two computers at gigabit speeds?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
should be fine.

However 8 - 12 port gigabit switches are cheap these days if you want to go that route

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
I really don't want a new switch, this one kicks serious ass for a 10/100 switch, plus I use more than 12 ports :p (big geek here). I did a little google reading and found out my switch has 8.8Gbps max switching capacity, which would mean 200Mbps per port up front and 2Gbps per expansion slot... which is the perfect number for two gigabit cards in full duplex mode.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
also, you'll rarely hit backplane limitations on a switch unless you are seriously pumping every single port.