$399 GTX 670 EVGA vs MSI

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
I'm looking to put together a system with a new gtx 670 card. My current system has a EVGA 460 and it has been great for what it does. However, I see at the same price is the MSI, which is clocked slightly higher than the EVGA (which charges more for their oc's parts).

I don't have any recent experience with the quality of MSI's parts. So is there any qualitative difference between the two cards? Does EVGA use better quality parts or should I just go with the MSI because it's slightly faster?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Can the GTX 670 run 3 monitors? 3 x 2560 x 1600?

edit: just found a reviewer that said he was able to do 5760x1080 (1920x1080 * 3), but hmmm..

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Can the GTX 670 run 3 monitors? 3 x 2560 x 1600?

edit: just found a reviewer that said he was able to do 5760x1080 (1920x1080 * 3), but hmmm..
It has 2 DL-DVI ports and a DisplayPort, so yes.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Asus DirectCu or Gigabyte Windforce. Or MSI Twin Frozr when it's released

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I personally wouldn't buy any of the half cards out there. Stick to Asus DC or Gigabyte Windforce like others said.

Confirmed that MSI TF will be a full PCB?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I'm looking to put together a system with a new gtx 670 card. My current system has a EVGA 460 and it has been great for what it does. However, I see at the same price is the MSI, which is clocked slightly higher than the EVGA (which charges more for their oc's parts).

I don't have any recent experience with the quality of MSI's parts. So is there any qualitative difference between the two cards? Does EVGA use better quality parts or should I just go with the MSI because it's slightly faster?

The EVGA Superclocked actually has a slightly larger heatsink than the reference (you can read about it here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-geforce-gtx-670-2gb-superclocked-review.html). Not sure if this applies to the regular version, but I'd assume so. Haven't cracked mine open to see. Both have the high-flow bracket, which is a nice perk.

If the EVGA and MSI are the two cards in stock when you go to order, get the EVGA. They will likely OC to the same levels. Plus EVGA has very good service.

Neither. Get the gigabyte windforce.

But this...if you want guaranteed higher overclocks and can deal with waiting for one to come in stock, can fit the 11" board in your case, and don't mind having heat exhausted into your case.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The EVGA GTX 670 FTW uses the GTX 680 PCB(full size), solid caps, and has the cooler from the GTX 680. It comes stock clocked at 1006 base clock 1085boost (highest stock card available now) and has memory clocked at 6208 (which is also the highest for any stock card right now). I'm not familiar with offerings from Gainward and some others so I don't know if they have faster clocked cards available.

Honestly any 670 is good, except I would avoid the EVGA SC edition until the supply goes away and new cards trickle into the chain as there was an issue with an early batch of them. However, I will add that I got a bad SC card and I emailed their service department and within 1 day had a cross ship RMA ready and approved and a day later I had a FTW edition card shipped via 2 day air. They even picked up the tab on shipping my bad card back to them. Totally above what I'd expect any company to do. I would have been happy with an SC card that worked 100%, but this is even better.

I will say that EVGA has probably the best customer service out there. So if you have an issue, they will take care of you.

Everyone makes a big deal out of the cards that have multiple fans etc. The cards run a bit cooler but the hot air is dumped inside your case which can make the rest of your system hotter and whatnot. Not much issue for most situations, but I know a couple people who don't have very good airflow and this hurts their setup.

Last edited:

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
First, how much is the gigabyte windforce 670, and second where can I buy it? Is this the windforce model?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125423

It's not documented as such, but otherwise I don't know where to find one.

Also, I'm trying to keep to around $400. This is part of a whole system build and I have a budget.

Edit: Terrible typing today.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The EVGA GTX 670 FTW uses the GTX 680 PCB(full size), solid caps, and has the cooler from the GTX 680. It comes stock clocked at 1006 base clock 1085boost (highest stock card available now) and has memory clocked at 6208 (which is also the highest for any stock card right now). I'm not familiar with offerings from Gainward and some others so I don't know if they have faster clocked cards available.

Honestly any 670 is good, except I would avoid the EVGA SC edition until the supply goes away and new cards trickle into the chain as there was an issue with an early batch of them. However, I will add that I got a bad SC card and I emailed their service department and within 1 day had a cross ship RMA ready and approved and a day later I had a FTW edition card shipped via 2 day air. They even picked up the tab on shipping my bad card back to them. Totally above what I'd expect any company to do. I would have been happy with an SC card that worked 100%, but this is even better.

I will say that EVGA has probably the best customer service out there. So if you have an issue, they will take care of you.

Everyone makes a big deal out of the cards that have multiple fans etc. The cards run a bit cooler but the hot air is dumped inside your case which can make the rest of your system hotter and whatnot. Not much issue for most situations, but I know a couple people who don't have very good airflow and this hurts their setup.

Amazingly, Newegg has already pulled the EVGA GTX670 SC off its website. Wow, that product was discontinued fast, a week after introduction:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130783

EVGA has some egg on its face for this one...

First, how much is the gigabyte windforce 670, and second where can I buy it? Second is this the windforce model?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125423

It's not document as such, but otherwise I don't know where to find one.

Also, I'm trying to keep to around $400. This is part of a whole system build and I have a budget.

You answered your own question, LOL. And yes, it's out of stock everywhere. That's why I said that you should only go for it if you're willing to wait.

Last edited:

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
Amazingly, Newegg has already pulled the EVGA GTX670 SC off its website. Wow, that product was discontinued fast, a week after introduction:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130783

EVGA got some pie in the face for this one...

You answered your own question, LOL. And yes, it's out of stock everywhere. That's why I said that you should only go for it if you're willing to wait.

Just making sure I found the right one, because it's not labeled as such. Kind of doesn't matter waiting since it's a new build, I'm also waiting on a certain i7 processor to be in stock as well :p

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Both warranties are similar. They are both 3 years and they are both transferable if/when you sell the card. The only upside to the EVGA warranty is that they cross-ship RMAs and its worldwide, where MSI is North America only and no cross ship.

Don't let the extra 50MHz stock clock determine anything...they are both basic reference parts and your ultimate overclocking results will still be lottery based.

Flip a coin? :p

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
Both warranties are similar. They are both 3 years and they are both transferable if/when you sell the card. The only upside to the EVGA warranty is that they cross-ship RMAs and its worldwide, where MSI is North America only and no cross ship.

Don't let the extra 50MHz stock clock determine anything...they are both basic reference parts and your ultimate overclocking results will still be lottery based.

Flip a coin? :p

So you don't buy into the gigabyet windforce thing?

May 13, 2009
I really don't see how this is even being discussed. The windforce is 30-40 dollars cheaper than any other non reference cards. The other cards in it's price range are inferior in every single way. The windforce is 680 based pcb with built with superior components and has an aftermarket cooler that runs about 10c cooler.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I really don't see how this is even being discussed. The windforce is 30-40 dollars cheaper than any other non reference cards. The other cards in it's price range are inferior in every single way. The windforce is 680 based pcb with built with superior components and has an aftermarket cooler that runs about 10c cooler.

Not only that, but the Windforce 670 has 5 phase GPU VRM on an almost reference 680 board, and Gigabyte reference 680 has 4 phase lol. I'd take the Windforce or an Asus DC model over any of those short cards, even if I had to wait.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So you don't buy into the gigabyet windforce thing?

Custom PCB/Custom coolers are always better, I was just answering your original question instead of suggesting other products which many have done already.

For running it at stock clock speeds or just doing minor overclocking (i.e. bringing the EVGA up to the MSI clocks or slightly beyond that) then I doubt you'll notice a difference.

If you want to do some nice overclocking (i.e. take it to stock GTX 680 performance and beyond) you will want a custom card.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Nah, I think he might be ok, maybe with a detail or two reduced. 670 isn't in here, but if 580 produces these results at 1600p, a 670 might actually be playable. I wouldn't go any less than that, though.

high%202560.png

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Not only that, but the Windforce 670 has 5 phase GPU VRM on an almost reference 680 board, and Gigabyte reference 680 has 4 phase lol. I'd take the Windforce or an Asus DC model over any of those short cards, even if I had to wait.

Voltages are locked so power phase's don't mean anything