3950x stability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I was referring to this post specifically. Electrically there is no need for it and his board boots and operates just fine without it so there's no need to go out and add the 4 pin connector. Sure it won't hurt anything, it will just be unnecessary.

As far as boards not posting with it unplugged, I believe that was only on early bios versions and was fixed with subsequent releases. Granted I don't follow every board and their BIOS revisions, but the point still remains that in this case (and all similar where the computer is already booting), the 4 pin connector is not needed unless you want to go for big overclocks.
This thread is about stability. That alone could be causing it. Any time anyone asks, I always say use both, after the documented cases where it should not be needed, but it is. If everybody knows this is a potenial problem, and keeps passing the word, some of these type of posts may not be happening. I know some work, but too many have had a problem.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
This thread is about stability. That alone could be causing it. Any time anyone asks, I always say use both, after the documented cases where it should not be needed, but it is. If everybody knows this is a potenial problem, and keeps passing the word, some of these type of posts may not be happening. I know some work, but too many have had a problem.

I haven't seen any that have had the updated Agesa/BIOS installed. Again, electrically there is no need for it so I have my doubts that with a proper BIOS it has any effect, but it's a cheap enough addition if anyone wants to add it for peace of mind.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I haven't seen any that have had the updated Agesa/BIOS installed. Again, electrically there is no need for it so I have my doubts that with a proper BIOS it has any effect, but it's a cheap enough addition if anyone wants to add it for peace of mind.
Maybe not with this board, maybe, but mine wouldn’t boot without both connectors. It wasn’t a bios issue, just a hardware issue. Hence Mark's concern.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Which board do you have?
The point is, some boards or systems have the problem. I have seen at least 10 cases here, where plugging in the second connector fixed the problem, so I will not go back on my advice.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Which board do you have?

According to his profile, he has a MSI Meg x570 Unify. The installation manual for that board specifies that two EPS cables should be plugged in.

1582174652160.png

1582174752728.png

This seems to be true of most x570 boards. B450 based boards have also strangely exhibited some similar issues with this even though the manuals mostly state that one EPS cable is sufficient and the 2nd is optional.

While you are right to say it shouldn't be electrically necessary - one EPS 8-pin cable is rated to safely provide more than enough wattage to boot just about anything short of a Threadripper, Markfw is right that there have been quite a few documented cases of boards that just will not boot without that second EPS cable plugged in. This is true even with the most recent BIOS/AGESA revisions installed. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it.

It is definitely complicating recommendations for power supplies by forcing exclusion of PSUs that don't provide two EPS cables "just in case".

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The point is, some boards or systems have the problem. I have seen at least 10 cases here, where plugging in the second connector fixed the problem, so I will not go back on my advice.

That's fine, but I still stand by my there's no reason for it electrically. I've seen it discussed by an MSI tech who confirmed as much and said that they put it there for extreme overclockers only. There's something else going on and initially the no post issue was said to be a BIOS bug that was supposed to be fixed with an update. If someone required it at some point, you could try pulling the second plug after all the updates to see if it still has a problem.

The only thing electrically I can think of is that the PSU being used has a weak rail powering the 8 pin CPU and that adding a second 4 pin or 8 pin connection off a different rail fixes this issue but then that's a PSU issue and not a motherboard/cpu issue. It's also very possible that this only appears with Zen 2 CPUs as they probably put a bigger strain on the VRMs even at the same power levels as earlier CPUs and requires more current from the PSU which a weak rail would fail to deliver. If both CPU pwr connections are off the same rail though, this wouldn't fix anything.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's fine, but I still stand by my there's no reason for it electrically. I've seen it discussed by an MSI tech who confirmed as much and said that they put it there for extreme overclockers only. There's something else going on and initially the no post issue was said to be a BIOS bug that was supposed to be fixed with an update. If someone required it at some point, you could try pulling the second plug after all the updates to see if it still has a problem.

The only thing electrically I can think of is that the PSU being used has a weak rail powering the 8 pin CPU and that adding a second 4 pin or 8 pin connection off a different rail fixes this issue but then that's a PSU issue and not a motherboard/cpu issue. It's also very possible that this only appears with Zen 2 CPUs as they probably put a bigger strain on the VRMs even at the same power levels as earlier CPUs and requires more current from the PSU which a weak rail would fail to deliver. If both CPU pwr connections are off the same rail though, this wouldn't fix anything.
I won't argue your point as being wrong. BUT, I will say, that on this forum, with the wide and varied experiences, and people, recommending 2 plugs is the SAFE way to go to minimize problems.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
According to his profile, he has a MSI Meg x570 Unify. The installation manual for that board specifies that two EPS cables should be plugged in.

View attachment 17277

View attachment 17278

This seems to be true of most x570 boards. B450 based boards have also strangely exhibited some similar issues with this even though the manuals mostly state that one EPS cable is sufficient and the 2nd is optional.

While you are right to say it shouldn't be electrically necessary - one EPS 8-pin cable is rated to safely provide more than enough wattage to boot just about anything short of a Threadripper, Markfw is right that there have been quite a few documented cases of boards that just will not boot without that second EPS cable plugged in. This is true even with the most recent BIOS/AGESA revisions installed. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it.

It is definitely complicating recommendations for power supplies by forcing exclusion of PSUs that don't provide two EPS cables "just in case".

I know the manual has that catch-all term but it's a generic statement to make sure all power cables are properly connected. Again, MSI reps have said it's unnecessary. I'm not going to belabor the point and if plugging in a second EPS connection helps some people, then great, but I'd rather understand why so that possibly a better recommendation could be made in the future (or possibly tell these MB makers to fix their stuff and telling people to avoid them until they do). I also don't see the point in telling someone who's board is working perfectly fine to go buy additional equipment because some people needed it for specific board models. Buildzoid, MSI reps, and multiple reviews all say these additional EPS connections aren't necessary so I'm just trying to figure out why some people have this issue. My hunch is that it's more of a PSU issue for most, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Exactly. I hate it, but... Get 100% performance for $5000, or get 87.5% performance (probably more than that) for $1000.

What would you do ?

You would have to be a fool to down such performance at $1,000. :) Oh nice thread loading btw on post 14%. Very nice to see it hard at work!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Sod it. I've bought one and will plug it in tomorrow.

I've had no issues at all with it to this point but what's the harm?

On a slightly unleated note, I'm excited to start looking out for the next upgrade. I change the CPU when it halves my render times. Since I've been rendering, I've gone i7 950, 6700k, 1800x and now 3950x.

I've stayed away from HEDT but Threadripper does look appealing. Fun times for this hobby.

I wonder if AMD will move AM4 class up a slot with Zen3 or not? Would 4 chiplets and 32C/64T be too much to make sense for thermal density and memory bandwidth on 7nm+? Will 16C be the floating edge for consumer socket for a while to come?

One of the issues facing these extremely dense processes is hotspotting and the difficulty in cooling such tiny little red hot surface areas when you want to ramp clocks up through the 4Ghz range towards 5Ghz. Efficiency was already on an observably downward spiral as higher clocks were chased in various other process tech nodes, but with 7nm it appears like an even more complicated issue.

Maybe hybrid clocks could be a solution? We already have separate cores to peak at higher rates, but what about :

2 chiplets of 'efficient' 7nm+ 8C/16T type, capped at ~4Ghz, weighted towards one half of the package.

1 intentionally more 'diffuse' (less dense/prone to hotspotting) chiplet of 4C/4T in which can ramp up to perhaps 5Ghz or beyond for turbo. Perhaps have the packaging itself focused heavily on horizontal heat dissipation, copper shimmed or however they can help with areal heat distribution. This 'max IPC' side could occupy the opposite half of the package vs the more standard type described above.

Sort of thinking out loud there. I'm not sure what to expect of Zen3. There is no immense leap in process tech waiting for the release, so if it's just something like a couple more cores per SKU, 100-200Mhz increase in clock potential for extremely short bursts, etc, or perhaps even less notable than these possibilities, then we may know we're in for a fresh round of stagnation. I still haven't gotten rid of my 2920 Threadripper, but in regular desktop use, more cores aren't really a worthwhile endeavor for your regular Joe. My 3700X unit feels as fast in most things, and faster in some (games/etc). This isn't a knock on TR, it's fantastic for people that CAN and DO need and use the extra cores for specific tasks. General use though, it's approaching irrelevance. 3600 is as good as 3950X for running Windows, Office, and anything short of bleeding edge GPU gaming.

A 5Ghz+ all-core Zen3 8C SKU though? If IPC moved even a hair up, the combo of clock and IPC would make it pretty epic and enough to speed up performance across the board, not just the most highly distributable/threaded load examples like rendering, folding, etc.

Opportunity cost is interesting to me. Someone who renders something once a week or once a month may see very little benefits from going from even moderate performance to double it. Say they're waiting 5 minutes to render a handful of times a month at most, for their occasional social media project for their kids or work etc. Getting a 50% increase would cut that 5 minute wait down to something around 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Still enough time they might be getting up to stretch their legs, grab a cup of coffee, take a leak, whatever. And not common enough to make a difference to their day/week/year.

Take a different person who is doing this kind of thing 40-60 hours a week, and suddenly they can either make a LOT more projects fit into their schedule, or have more time to polish/post-produce the work, or simply accomplish the same amount of work and have more time for themselves, their family, their health, etc. Instead of basically zero gains in practical terms, you're talking ENORMOUS gains, all from the same generational step in tech.

All about perspective.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I wonder if AMD will move AM4 class up a slot with Zen3 or not? Would 4 chiplets and 32C/64T be too much to make sense for thermal density and memory bandwidth on 7nm+? Will 16C be the floating edge for consumer socket for a while to come?
4 chiplets + IOD don't fit in the size AM4 offers, and N7+ won't increase density enough to change that. N5 may, but at that point we likely see a new redefined platform in AM5 or some such. And at that point dual channel for even more cores will make sense again due to the bandwidth increase in DDR5.

Personally I wonder if at that point AMD should split the desktop market into two parts, a low end for APUs and a high end for CPUs that are not Threadripper/Epyc class. This should allow lifting APU specific restrictions in the high end parts like not being able to route all 32 possible PCIe lanes. This, including an increase of the amount of cores to 32, would turn "AM5 Pro" or some such into a platform comparable to Threadripper 1/2.

But for Zen 3 I don't expect any huge platform changes, all the above would be for Zen 4.

Reactions: Arkaign

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
4 chiplets + IOD don't fit in the size AM4 offers, and N7+ won't increase density enough to change that. N5 may, but at that point we likely see a new redefined platform in AM5 or some such. And at that point dual channel for even more cores will make sense again due to the bandwidth increase in DDR5.

Personally I wonder if at that point AMD should split the desktop market into two parts, a low end for APUs and a high end for CPUs that are not Threadripper/Epyc class. This should allow lifting APU specific restrictions in the high end parts like not being able to route all 32 possible PCIe lanes. This, including an increase of the amount of cores to 32, would turn "AM5 Pro" or some such into a platform comparable to Threadripper 1/2.

But for Zen 3 I don't expect any huge platform changes, all the above would be for Zen 4.
Could see something like a AM4+ and AM5. Where they keep a DDR4 memory controller in the IO die of future releases, for OEM's they would have the option on systems configurable from a APU up to a high end Ryzen, they could just use AM4+ boards and AM5 would be the pro platform with PCIe 5 and DDR5, 32 PCIe lanes and all the other fun stuff. Problem is that wouldn't work well as chances are AM5 goes LGA. Then again if they go LGA, then AMD might be able to include the APU stuff without compromises.

The killer is that the current AM4 implementation was at OEM requests. They wanted a single platform that covered the whole spectrum of AMD consumer CPU's so that they had efficient parts overlap between configurations and systems. I doubt that we see them break that just to puff up the 8c+ feature set for a few things like a few more lanes.