3900x vs 7820X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
do you have any of you CAD benchmark, in built or custom? how that compares?

+1

You really need to compare across the actual workload.

If you've any scripted sequences, you could try timing those.

Or even just timing (i) the opening & (ii) the saving of a large model. Yeah, timing will be very approx, but if there are substantial differences, you'll see them.

Stealtharsenal

Sep 3, 2012
The only CAD testing I did was a load up time for one of my heavy drawings with a number of external references, profiles, pipe networks, alignments, etc. It still took over 3-4 minutes to load up the drawing because of how heavy they are. This is a lighter drawing. I would have to VPN into my work server and pull everything over to my machine for a bigger drawing and then repair all the reference links.

So to clarify a few things with CAD. Civil3d which used to be an addon to CAD way back, produced by a third party software company. Its main purpose is to handle Civil Engineering work. So we are talking stormwater model, roadway alignments, horizontal, vertical curves, pipe networks, data referencing and shortcut with reference topography in addition to what inhad mentioned above. We typically reference in numerous drawings, ARCGIS, topo data sets, excel files, run storm water and drainage analysis with built in software, etc. It is a heavy running program especially when you have many thing references. From a memory standpoint, I can easily use 16 GB of ram plus. Now the same goes for Revit. Revit is more solid modeling, 3d type stuff.

CAD is just no longer efficient. As the years have gone by, it has been severely bloated with everything they keep adding in. Other analysis packages, etc. 2019 is the first step in the right direction in about 5-6 years in becoming lighter, but even then, it's still a resource monster.

I'll stick with the x299 for now and see what the 3950x looks like or drop a 7940x into my current board and see what the dealio is.

Stealtharsenal

Sep 3, 2012
@TheGiant I didn't say that it would help me. I like buying and testing stuff. If it does better than great, if not back it goes.

Now with the 3900X, I also did not say it didn't help. I said that it's performance was on par with my 7820X especially when I overclocked it. I didn't post up after my initial testing, but I put the 7820X at 4.8 Ghz at all core and it was really close to the 3900X. Hard to justify keeping that platform when mine is a capable chip and platform. Now the 7940X helps me with a PCIe lane issue.