Question 3900x problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gever

Jul 8, 2020
Need help with my pc (3900x / asus C7H / noctua nh-u12s push & pull setup)

Can someone explain this behavior? temps constantly jumping from 45c-70c up and down
N.jpg

Even in bios i get 60-65c , all settings on auto, enabled d.o.c.p , bios updated to last version (3103).

When i use windows power saving mode temps are 40-45c, but the cpu package power (SMU) is still 30W idle , any tips to reduce power draw and put all cores to sleep while idle? without using power saver mode and reducing clock speed to 2200mhz..?
I've seen THIS post and i don't understand how he achieved this

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
For starter you need to show the settings that are under Main section. That's where you had enabled Core Performance boost I believe. You might have to screenshot, scroll down and screenshot again to get all the settings.

His higher temps in the uEFI were because he enabled Core Performance Boost. Enabling D.O.C.P also did some strange things on my son's rig if I remember correctly.

It doesn't matter what is enabled, it should not be idling 60c in bios, strange or not. It's that simple.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It doesn't matter what is enabled, it should not be idling 60c in bios, strange or not. It's that simple.
In my BIOS on my Asus X470 board, it idles at 50c because it runs at a high voltage (automatically).

Once I am out of the BIOS, the CPU runs nowhere near that high of a voltage, and the temps are much lower.

In my BIOS screenshots a few posts back, you can see what it runs at.

Reactions: scannall

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
In my BIOS on my Asus X470 board, it idles at 50c because it runs at a high voltage (automatically).

Once I am out of the BIOS, the CPU runs nowhere near that high of a voltage, and the temps are much lower.

In my BIOS screenshots a few posts back, you can see what it runs at.

And my x570 Strix-E has my 3900x idling at 40c or under, usually around 35c.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It displays 1.45v or higher. But you realize, the chip is doing nothing so it shouldn't be at 60c! The other end of that is your cooling...
I have a Noctua NH-D15S so it's definitely not that. My temps are low anytime I am outside of my BIOS........when sitting at my desktop or gaming for hours. I idle in the low 30s and it tops out usually in the low to mid 60s.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Depending on the motherboard, being in bios can make it run hot. I've had a few over the years that did that. Just boot all the way and use Ryzen Master to look at your temps.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
CPB is enabled by default, it wont boost over 3800mhz if i disable it

Seems like DOCP is working fine for me and is not the issue, same behavior by setting ram value manually.

Well it doesn't jar my memory. Maybe I can swing by my son's and poke around in his uEFI today or tomorrow and take a peak.

Did you check the TIM application? It's probably best to sparingly cover the whole heatspreader rather than X.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
@Gever, you might want to double check your fan configuration on your heatsink as well and make sure it's in push pull. Doing push push or pull pull will cause higher temps.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I still want to know what the computer is doing that's causing his CPU to do work. If he's seeing temp and power spikes at "idle" then he isn't idling.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Since you guys are disbelief...

View attachment 26061
You could be running your fan at higher RPMs (my Noctua fan is set to around 750 RPM).

Too many variables come into play, but I know what my temps are while in the BIOS and what they are during actual computer usage. You were the one who said it was the result of a "bad mount or cooling issue", and I know it's not.

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
Reducing SOC voltage to 1.05v and VDDG voltage to 0.9v-900mv would save power at idle. Those bios temps seem normal the bios on my board puts moderate load on a single core which can spike the temperature at stock settings.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Need help with my pc (3900x / asus C7H / noctua nh-u12s push & pull setup)

Can someone explain this behavior? temps constantly jumping from 45c-70c up and down
View attachment 25231

Even in bios i get 60-65c , all settings on auto, enabled d.o.c.p , bios updated to last version (3103).

When i use windows power saving mode temps are 40-45c, but the cpu package power (SMU) is still 30W idle , any tips to reduce power draw and put all cores to sleep while idle? without using power saver mode and reducing clock speed to 2200mhz..?
I've seen THIS post and i don't understand how he achieved this

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

Looking at the fan speeds for CPU, I would double check your fan curve to see if it's scaling properly with temps.
If you have floor set to low for too long you are going to get some serious spikes in temps. I would expect a 120mm fan to be spinning a bit faster once the CPU starts getting into the high 60's.
I would definitely expect spikes with a Ryzen if you have its set to 6XX rpm at low 40's

Also, like other's mentioned, PBO is not worth enabling. Especially on a 3900x paired with an older x470 board. Disable it.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
Some of this discussion seems to be based on the assumption that the CPU is idle in the BIOS. From what I can see, that's not necessarily true. My 2700X idles at 50+C in the BIOS (Asrock X470 Taichi) and 30C in an operating system idle. It's entirely possible that the BIOS is doing some sort of busy-wait loop instead of being completely interrupt driven out of an idle state.

Unless someone here has deconstructed the BIOS code, or has knowledge of the internals, I wouldn't assume that the CPU is idle while waiting for BIOS input.