38mm thick fans versus 25mm

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Will a 38mm fan perform better when moving the same amount of air? I presume it will need less strokes and thus less RPM to move the same amount of air, and thus at the same decibel level (same RPM) it would move more air. Is that correct?

anandtechrocks

Dec 7, 2004
I presume your presumption is correct. I've got a few 38mm Panaflo and Delta fans and they have a much higher rated CFM than most 25mm fans of the same RPM.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
38s will draw more mm of H2O and flow the same air at lower RPM with less turbulance than 25s. Properly undervolted 38s are my choice if there is room for them.

In the future all my cases will have the rear exhaust fans mounted on the outside of the case. This unclutters the inside and air is drawn off the very rear of the box. 38s being so thick really make their presents known inside the case. For a portable rig this may not be a good idea.

...Galvanized

amd200mhz

Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Meuge
Will a 38mm fan perform better when moving the same amount of air? I presume it will need less strokes and thus less RPM to move the same amount of air, and thus at the same decibel level (same RPM) it would move more air. Is that correct?

38mm will draw more air physically. The thicker the better for fan.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
The more angled blades of a 38mm deep fan will make more noise than those that are flatter. You might get more airflow at a given rpm, but when a 25mm and a 38mm deep fan are moving the same amount of air, the noise will be similar. You often find 38mm fans in servers because of their airflow, not because they're capable of being quiet.