3870X2 fan dying, options?

DeathSniper

Oct 19, 2004
Been awhile since I posted, but I've currently got a Diamond ATI 3870X2 that basically makes a grinding noise that drives me nuts. Pretty sure it's the bearing. I *may* have taken it apart and could have possibly put in some WD40 but that didn't seem to help - I was thinking if perhaps thermal grease or engine grease might work? Basically the fan makes a zzzzzttt kinda sound and when I try to game it gets even worse. I'm currently on a 4850 loaner so I have probably another week or so to decide.

Question basically is - does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this? Would this be something I'd be able to contact Diamond Multimedia for a possible RMA for? (Yes I know it may seem like a dumb question but I've only had one fan die on me through 8+ cards in 10 years which was replaced by an aftermarket one nor have I ever dealt with Diamond customer service.)

If there's no quick fix I'm thinking of grabbing a 5850 as I believe that would outperform the 3870X2 by quite a bit (I game at 16x10 & 19x12 on Vista 64-bit currently). The 5770 looks decent but I think the performance would be about on par so not really worth it? Or would it be more worthwhile to grab a 4870/4890 as they're roughly $100+ CDN cheaper? Rest of rig is Q9450@3.25Ghz on an Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo with 4GB RAM powered by a Corsair HX620W and I'm looking to switch to Windows 7 probably within the next 6 months. I do keep my computer on pretty much 24/7 and game quite often so heat/power would be something I'd think about as well (I have a sound card as well so there's basically very little clearance for a 2-slot video card).

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Last edited:

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
boy does this sound familiar!!! mine did the same exact thing earlier this year. from what i was able to find out there is not an aftermarket fan for it. i ended up retiring mine and getting the card that is in my signature now.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I might be missing something here, but why not RMA it? It costs you ~$10 in shipping and they replace the card/fan and who knows, maybe upgrades you to something newer if they can't fix it?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
It's such a PITA when those fans act up!

Is/was the card really dusty?

DeathSniper

Oct 19, 2004
Yeah, I was suggested to put some WD40 so I figured why the hell not :p

As far as not RMA'ing, I just haven't really checked into it as I was going to see if there was an easier/quicker solution, but it doesn't seem like there as. Also, I don't have my receipt as I purchased it somewhere around 2 years ago and never bothered registering the card so not sure if it would matter. I think I'll try this route and hopefully it'll be accepted and won't take them too long.

I'm leaning towards grabbing a 5850 then and stuff this card into one of the others around the house when I get the RMA or a waterblock/custom fan for it.

As for the dust factor, the card wasn't particularly dusty - I normally vaccum and air blow the inside of my comp every month. I think it might have just amounted to normal wear and tear :(

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
The HD 3870X2 is one of a kind card, if you don't wanna fix it for you, then get a HD 5850 and call it a day, :) , and please install Windows 7, you won't regret it.

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I've heard other people have used 2x VF900 Cu's on the card. That or you can mount a high flow 80mm fan over the intake slot for the blower fan, after you remove the blower fan of course.

DeathSniper

Oct 19, 2004
Thanks for that Far - I think I might be trying that in a month or two. Just got a HSI 5850 and loving it - I can finally play Crysis at full res without it chopping up ;)