372.54 WHQL Game ready drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
@railven....Not sure if it'll help but if your next step is a clean install you don't really have anything to loose in the end...except time spent trying it.

The paranoid driver wipe.

Disabled gpu in device manager. Might not hurt enabling the show hidded devices to see if any others are lurking.
Rebooted DDU in safe mode
Didn't wipe yet
Deleted the C: \NVIDIA folder
Deleted the C: \Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation folder
Deleted the C: \Program Files (x86) \NVIDIA Corporation folder
Empty trash can
DDU clean and reboot option after clicking on the set windows automatic installation to default option.
Install the latest drivers using advanced option selecting clean install.

I read that it's the best way to eliminate Nvidia gremlins....Jury is still out but haven't gotten any ill effects doing it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
@railven....Not sure if it'll help but if your next step is a clean install you don't really have anything to loose in the end...except time spent trying it.

Disabled gpu in device manager. Might not hurt enabling the show hidded devices to see if any others are lurking.
Didn't wipe yet
Empty trash can
DDU clean and reboot option after clicking on the set windows automatic installation to default option.
Installed the drivers using advanced option selecting clean install.

I read that it's the best way to eliminate Nvidia gremlins....Jury is still out but haven't gotten any ill effects doing it.
I did all that except disabling the the GPU. First thing I always do is uninstall all Nvidia stuff from control panel, reboot and uninstall anything else that is left.

At this point I have an 800x600 resolution but who cares. I then delete all Nvidia folders you mentioned.

Reboot into safe mode and run DDU. Reboot again and install Nvidia drivers minus the 3d crap using advanced and clean install.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

Didn't wipe yet
Empty trash can
Install the latest drivers using advanced option selecting clean install.

Will give this a go. It really isn't the time of having to do a format/re-install. It's the hassle of having to dig out save files from the %appdata% folder because PC games nowadays have to hide stuff from you. Especially my Dark Souls files which I put hundreds of hours into haha.

I did all that except disabling the the GPU. First thing I always do is uninstall all Nvidia stuff from control panel, reboot and uninstall anything else that is left.

At this point I have an 800x600 resolution but who cares. I then delete all Nvidia folders you mentioned.

Reboot into safe mode and run DDU. Reboot again and install Nvidia drivers minus the 3d crap using advanced and clean install.

Gonna give this a go, if it doesn't resolve my issue, just start backing up my save files and worry about re-instating them down the road.

BIOS updated ran quick benchmark, still shows GPU as invalid. Grrrrrr!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
No dice, same error from 3dMark. Starting to wonder if it's a 3DMark issue?

Might as well start the formatting process.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No dice, same error from 3dMark. Starting to wonder if it's a 3DMark issue?

Might as well start the formatting process.
Damn I'm not sure what's going in with your PC. A format is always good but this is baffling. Even if you had the wrong driver what you did should have cleaned it out and it would be fine.

I'm even guessing to say the windows update screwed something up.

At least if you are going to clean install the windows USB installation media should give you the latest image.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Format complete. Drivers installed, Steam+3DMark installed, let's see if it worked.

EDIT:

Well it was all for nothing:

Validation warning!
X

Your score contained the following anomalies

• - Graphics card is not recognized
Fresh format, just installed Windows from a fresh USB ISO (installed straight to 1607). DDU new drivers, and downloaded Steam+3DMark.

Gonna assume it's a validation issue with 3DMark versus something wrong with my system. Perhaps this driver is still not accepted by Futuremark.

Last edited: