Question 360 EK AIO - Fans Ramping Every Second

vcore

Dec 12, 2021
I recently installed a 360 EK AIO. I plugged the pump into my Asus Rog Strix Z690-F motherboards aio_pump header and the radiator fans into the cpu_fan header.

Now I am having a really annoying issue where the fans will ramp up and down every second. I am not sure how to make this better? Anyone know? Please help me.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Here's a suggestion. As you know, the automatic system alters CPU cooling fan speed according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. But the WAY it does that tends to be in significant steps, rather than a smooth series of small changes. I suspect it just happens that the temperature value for a change from one speed to another is almost exactly where your CPU tends to run. So the system is constantly seeing a need to change the fan speed for VERY small temperature changes.

So try this. Go into BIOS Setup where your CPU_FAN header is configured. One of the options for Fan Profile is to use a custom "fan curve" of fan speed versus measured temperature. This may be labelled "Manual" or "Custom" or something similar, OR you may simply have a graph to adjust. FIRST look at how the default Fan Curve is set. Now go to where the CPU typically is operating, and change the TEMPERATURE setting for that so that the change of speeds will be triggered at either a higher or lower value. This will let your system still adjust speeds when necesary, but avoid doing it so often.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I recently installed a 360 EK AIO. I plugged the pump into my Asus Rog Strix Z690-F motherboards aio_pump header and the radiator fans into the cpu_fan header.

Now I am having a really annoying issue where the fans will ramp up and down every second. I am not sure how to make this better? Anyone know? Please help me.
I use Open Fan Control on my system to dial in the fan curves I want from within Windows. The hysteresis function seems to work well, so I don't get fan speeds bouncing up and down.

vcore

Dec 12, 2021
Here's a suggestion. As you know, the automatic system alters CPU cooling fan speed according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. But the WAY it does that tends to be in significant steps, rather than a smooth series of small changes. I suspect it just happens that the temperature value for a change from one speed to another is almost exactly where your CPU tends to run. So the system is constantly seeing a need to change the fan speed for VERY small temperature changes.

So try this. Go into BIOS Setup where your CPU_FAN header is configured. One of the options for Fan Profile is to use a custom "fan curve" of fan speed versus measured temperature. This may be labelled "Manual" or "Custom" or something similar, OR you may simply have a graph to adjust. FIRST look at how the default Fan Curve is set. Now go to where the CPU typically is operating, and change the TEMPERATURE setting for that so that the change of speeds will be triggered at either a higher or lower value. This will let your system still adjust speeds when necesary, but avoid doing it so often.

Hmmm on the Asus Rog Strix motherboard there are options for custom fan curves. But I don’t understand all the options on it. Very confusing.

Not quite sure which to change to make these fans stop ramping up and down. If anyone can help me setup on Asus motherboard it would be much appreciated.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hmmm on the Asus Rog Strix motherboard there are options for custom fan curves. But I don’t understand all the options on it. Very confusing.

Not quite sure which to change to make these fans stop ramping up and down. If anyone can help me setup on Asus motherboard it would be much appreciated.

There are many other ones on YouTube, but this one should be simple enough to follow.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I sympathize! The manual for that mobo shows virtually NO details of what the configuration options are for its fan headers.

Concentrate on the CPU_FAN header, for that is the one to which you connect your rad fans for power and control. There are three options for you to adjust.
1. Options for PWM Mode or Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) - set to PWM Mode for these 4-pin fans.
2. Options for Fan Profile usually include (a) "Automatic", "Normal" or "Standard"; (b) "Manual" or "Custom"; (c) "Silent" or "Quiet"; (d) "Turbo" or "Full Speed". FIRST look at what the graphical display of fan speed versus Temperature shows as the "fan curve" it is already using.
3. Now set to use the "Manual" or "Custom" option. Then adjust the circles on that graph for your new choices - as I said, mainly move the circle close to where the fan is already operating, and just move it sideways to change the Temperature at which it will change speeds. That video linked above by UsandThem will help to understand.

When you have all your changes made, use Esc to get back to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu. There use the SAVE Changes and EXIT to reboot with the new settings.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
If you install AiSuite, the fans can be set to ramp up and down over a period of time. I usually set the CPU fan used with an AIO to at least 20 seconds if not longer. Not sure if that's accessible in the BIOS.