3570k = $170 | 3770k = $270

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CryHavoc

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
Eh... Fry's haven't had a decent combo deal in a couple of years. Oh the days of cheap e4300 + ECS mobo + pin mod = 2.4GHz of cheap goodness. I've decided to wait until Black Friday to see if Microcenter offers a better deal on a combo. BTW, is it true that the CPU/Mobo discount is only $40 now instead of $50?

I remember buying a couple of those FRY's combo's and just selling off the ECS motherboard for cheap since the processor was such a deal
:thumbsup:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
It is, but they took 10.00 off the price of the processors to compensate...its the same combo price it always has been.
I see. I should have grabbed the combo on the 29th then same day as kleinkinstein did. Asus Z77 LK was $125 before MIR, they since raised the price to $145. Now I'm going to have to wait until Black Friday rofl...

I remember buying a couple of those FRY's combo's and just selling off the ECS motherboard for cheap since the processor was such a deal
:thumbsup:
Rofl... I was poor back then (still kind of am), and didn't have money to buy better motherboard. The ECS motheboards did not support overclock, but since e4300 were 200MHz fsb I just did the pinmod, instant >25% overclock. They were very stable for me too, never gave me any problems until I retired them.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Eh... Fry's haven't had a decent combo deal in a couple of years. Oh the days of cheap e4300 + ECS mobo + pin mod = 2.4GHz of cheap goodness. I've decided to wait until Black Friday to see if Microcenter offers a better deal on a combo. BTW, is it true that the CPU/Mobo discount is only $40 now instead of $50?

The death of the Fry's combo specials was due to the VP of purchasing, I think it was the VP, getting busted for taking kickbacks from ECS to feature their boards in the combos. Since that point in time, Fry's combos have been anything but as great as they used to be. Microcenter's combo sales have soundly beaten Fry's ever since. MC's are ridiculously low priced, esp. the processors.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The death of the Fry's combo specials was due to the VP of purchasing, I think it was the VP, getting busted for taking kickbacks from ECS to feature their boards in the combos. Since that point in time, Fry's combos have been anything but as great as they used to be. Microcenter's combo sales have soundly beaten Fry's ever since. MC's are ridiculously low priced, esp. the processors.
Did not know that. I was planning to wait out until Haswell, but I realized I had way too many Wolfdale and Yorkfield based computers and no real plans to upgrade them. So I'll try scoring an IB combo deal at Microcenter this month, and similar Haswell combo if MC is still doing them at the end of 2013. Still bummed I didn't get one on the 29th, but my bad for not recognizing a good deal.

winniethepwn

Nov 1, 2012
anyone else notice that the discount doesnt show in the combo deals anymore?

is it just me? up until last week it showed, but not anymore.

^^^^
Has anyone had a chance to call or walk into a MC to verify if they're still honoring the combo?

They're not picking up the phone for me.

Might be better to just purchase the CPU from MC and get the MB on sale elsewhere.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
I don't understand why both MC and Fry's won't come to Pittsburgh. :thumbsdown:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Has anyone had a chance to call or walk into a MC to verify if they're still honoring the combo?

They do still give a combo discount, but with the $10 price cut on the quad core CPUs (3570K was $180, now $170) the combo discount is now only $40 instead of $50. A wash, unless you wanted a Core i3-3225, which was not discounted further, and thus the combo deal now is $10 more than before.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Would the i3225 w/ GTX 660ti be OK for gaming at 1080P with all settings on full?

winniethepwn

Nov 1, 2012
They do still give a combo discount, but with the $10 price cut on the quad core CPUs (3570K was $180, now $170) the combo discount is now only $40 instead of $50. A wash, unless you wanted a Core i3-3225, which was not discounted further, and thus the combo deal now is $10 more than before.

I tried adding a cpu/mobo to my cart and the mobo is no longer discounted. So they're forcing you to purchase them in-store now? I'm trying to avoid giving commission to their sh**ty employees.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I tried adding a cpu/mobo to my cart and the mobo is no longer discounted. So they're forcing you to purchase them in-store now? I'm trying to avoid giving commission to their sh**ty employees.
Why they are working stiffs like most of us. Granted not all employees are knowledgeable, but that doesn't mean you need to pick an attitude towards them.

I typically just pick stuff up and ask any random salesperson to put their stamp on the stuff.

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T COST ME ANYTHING :)

Now if you were complaining about traffic or distance that would have been a valid argument.

Last edited:

winniethepwn

Nov 1, 2012
Why they are working stiffs like most of us. Granted not all employees are knowledgeable, but that doesn't mean you need to pick an attitude towards them.

I typically just pick stuff up and ask any random salesperson to put their stamp on the stuff.

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T COST ME ANYTHING :)

Now if you were complaining about traffic or distance that would have been a valid argument.

Terrible experiences with the people running the pc component department. Friend who worked there had nothing nice to say about any of them. I will go out of my way to give my business to the people who deserve it and avoid the people who don't.

Then there's also the fact that none of them are really "helping" me (as if they were capable, ha!). I know exactly what I want to buy.

Less hassle with their purchase online and pick-up service. If only it worked with the combo deal.

Last edited:

badboyeee

Nov 12, 2001
I just bought my 3570k combo last week with the CPU at 189. Long drive so I'm gonna try to call for a price adjustment. Wish me luck!

Any luck? I tried calling 3x the past couple days but no one answers. Last time I let it ring and the voice prompts go for 20 mins. Will try again tomorrow.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Terrible experiences with the people running the pc component department. Friend who worked there had nothing nice to say about any of them. I will go out of my way to give my business to the people who deserve it and avoid the people who don't.

Then there's also the fact that none of them are really "helping" me (as if they were capable, ha!). I know exactly what I want to buy.

Less hassle with their purchase online and pick-up service. If only it worked with the combo deal.

Probably depends on a particular store. I bought two Auria displays from them. One died on the 31st day, 1 day after their 30 day warranty, I brought it up to the store, asked nicely if they could exchange it, and they did. I purchased their loss leaders CPUs in the past, and they never push for more sales. In my experience my Microcenter has excellent service.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Probably depends on a particular store. I bought two Auria displays from them. One died on the 31st day, 1 day after their 30 day warranty, I brought it up to the store, asked nicely if they could exchange it, and they did. I purchased their loss leaders CPUs in the past, and they never push for more sales. In my experience my Microcenter has excellent service.

Gotta agree. I've been shopping in various Microcenters for well over a decade now and have yet to have terrible service. (My first MC was the one in Fairfax, VA. Have now shopped at that one, the 2 in ATL, the Rockville, MD store, the NJ store in Peterson, and now the Boston/Cambridge, MA store.)

My brother sent me an Antec Signature 850W power supply for Christmas the year it came out. No receipt, nothing included with it, just the ps.

It died in less than 3 hours of use. Went to the Marietta MC and they exchanged it for store credit in under a minute, no hassle.

And as far as the cart not letting you check out via web, the cpu/mb combos have always been in-store only.

For horrible/pathetic customer service, Fry's took the crown. The 2 in Atlanta, while nice, were just staffed with either know-it-all teenagers who chided you on picking products/brands they didn't like (met two sales kids who were AMD zealots and both damned near refused to sell a gent an Intel setup that was on sale, much to his frustration. I snuck up next to him and sent him to MC for a pricematch. Saw him at the MC an hour later and he was uber happy at that point), or the sales personnel were simply apathetic.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
I usually had a lot of good to say about MC... I have one for me about a 30 minute drive away. Last month I was buying a Video Card.... It was more $ than online... But I love (Loved) the store so much, the 10 or 15 bucks was worth the price of admission.
Second on line.. Waitting... Waitting. I ask. Their PC's are down. Please bear with us.
Paying cash, no prob. I have no cash. SO I wait. Finally after 30 mins, I have to leave. I see a store manager on the way out and ask him "Look, this is a long drive for me. And frankly, I can show you 2 web sites where this is cheaper. Can you hook me up? Like maybe a 10% off coupon or something? Fre pack of balnk DVRs?
Entice me to drive back here.".
Nope, nothing we can do was his reply.
That night, I contact corperate. Very sympathetic, very helpful. Let me get back to you. We are aware of the issue (their systems went down nationwide).
Corp's reply, 2 days later. Sorry, seems most people were willing to pay cash and were happy just to complete their transactions. We hope to serve you in the future.
I sent them a PDF of my order for the same part (150 dollar Video card) from Nexeus....(Spelling?)..... really a 10 percent kick (Read 15 bucks) would have gone SO far. Now EFF them. Hello internet.

Last edited:

winniethepwn

Nov 1, 2012
Gotta agree. I've been shopping in various Microcenters for well over a decade now and have yet to have terrible service. (My first MC was the one in Fairfax, VA. Have now shopped at that one, the 2 in ATL, the Rockville, MD store, the NJ store in Peterson, and now the Boston/Cambridge, MA store.)

My brother sent me an Antec Signature 850W power supply for Christmas the year it came out. No receipt, nothing included with it, just the ps.

It died in less than 3 hours of use. Went to the Marietta MC and they exchanged it for store credit in under a minute, no hassle.

And as far as the cart not letting you check out via web, the cpu/mb combos have always been in-store only.

For horrible/pathetic customer service, Fry's took the crown. The 2 in Atlanta, while nice, were just staffed with either know-it-all teenagers who chided you on picking products/brands they didn't like (met two sales kids who were AMD zealots and both damned near refused to sell a gent an Intel setup that was on sale, much to his frustration. I snuck up next to him and sent him to MC for a pricematch. Saw him at the MC an hour later and he was uber happy at that point), or the sales personnel were simply apathetic.

You were always able to check out online and pick up the items via their 18 minute thing. There was a small period (1 or 2 days) where the combo price wasn't showing. It was fixed recently.

Regardless of whether you like the employees or not, it's always easier than walking around the store trying to find your parts, waiting in line, etc.

badboyeee

Nov 12, 2001
Any luck? I tried calling 3x the past couple days but no one answers. Last time I let it ring and the voice prompts go for 20 mins. Will try again tomorrow.

I finally got through on the phone. After trying different extensions, the "Build your computer" department finally picked up. That experience was pretty bad, I called like 5-6 times and waited between 5-20 mins each before giving up.

There is a 30 day Price Match policy but they didn't let me do it over the phone. Since I live 1.5 hrs away, the $20 savings would equal my gas.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Check the OP. Seems like the mobo discount is not applicable for 3770, so it's a wash if you wanted to buy a combo (only $10 discount to what it used to be before), but a good deal if you need CPU alone.